Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Brick Veneer Wall with Zero clearance

Architect has specified a new 2 car freestanding residential garage of nominal brick veneer on hangers with a wood stud back up wall.

The issue is, one of the walls is only going to be inches off the neighbor's brick garage. Can a brick veneer wall be built from the "inside", or must that wall become a solid masonry wall in order to construct it only while standing on the inside?

Thanks!

Default Re: Brick Veneer Wall with Zero clearance

What is your involvement in this matter?

Your screen name is Archie tect, but obviously you're not. So what are you and what role do you have in building this garage?

" what are you and what role do you have in building this garage?"

yes, kindly explain the correlation.

Then determine whether the wall can actually be built that close to the property line based on the code requirements that less than 3' from the line requires a 1 hour rated wall; I'm not familiar with brick veneer achieving that as part of a rated assembly. Perhaps a rated split-block would work, or a hour-rated masonry block?

Just because someone draws it, doesn't make it reality!
    Take Care

Jim

Anythings possible.

I'd opt for an 8" block wall since no one can see the brick.

I'm the owner's rep, assessing feasibity and value engineering.

Ok, so what is the point of a non-structural veneer in a location where it can't be seen??

Honest question.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Kevin, this whole story doesn't pass the smell test.

Lets see: the HO hired an architect, an owner's rep and presumably a builder, all to build a 2 car garage? And nobody knows, nor can they ask the architect, why they need veneer brick in an unseen location?

Oh, and we have a member who states in his profile he's a building scientist and designer, but uses the screen name archie tect and is acting as owner's rep. And in many previous posts states he's building projects. Hmmm...

I'm going to take a wild guess. I'm going to say archie tect is the same person as our former member cdservices. Remember all the wacky stuff that guy came up with?

The brickie can stand or the roof and thrown it down the hole. Tender beats the piss out of the wall below to consolidate the junk. What kind of owners rep don't know that.
    I will never buy a Nissan Cargo Van.

Do a tilt wall.

DG,

Sounds like the winter in Michigan gives you way too much free time to construct conspiracy theories when you should be focusing on helping others construct buildings. Or, are you bitter about something else?

1. Yeah, owner hired me as OPM for a garage, because, umm.... by the way, he's also doing a major gut renovation of the historic townhouse in front of the garage.

2. Yes, the architect drew a brick veneer detail. I came to this board first because I didn't want to look stupid to the architect if I was overlooking something. Architect has since admitted he made a mistake in copying a detail for a brick garage on a large lot for use on a zero clearance lot.

3. I had forgotten about Table 602 of the IBC. The only useful thing in this post was that I was reminded of it. It's tough to assess every project challenge from every angle and that's what's great about a second pair of eyeballs.

4. I'm an architecture student. Good to have a goal...

Thanks,

CD Ser... I mean, Archie Tect

BAC student?
    I will never buy a Nissan Cargo Van.