Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Headphones and Ear Protection

A search didn't turn up much.

Does anyone here have a favorite headphone that they'd like to recommend? I want an earmuff style system rather than earbuds. I can't keep them in my ear.

It would be awesome to have the entire crew wearing them with mikes, so we could interrupt our musical imbibings to communicate. That sounds expensive and they would probably give us all brain tumors the size of a basketballs.

Default Re: Headphones and Ear Protection

Jim, not much for listening to music when working, especially with a crew that you might need to communicate with. Not sure if there is such an animal but then again I don't have a lot of electronic equipment.

How would that work? One minute you are listening to music then some guy is talking to you telling you a number? It sounds annoying to me to be hearing my favorite songs and then being cut into by anyone talking on the mikes.

I think Dan from Chicago Green Windows had a recommendation on hearing protection but do not recall if it had the stuff to do what you are asking. I want to say the brand started with a P and makes me think of Parizi or whatever the company is that makes the window glazing removal tools. Doubt that is right but that is the best I got.

I don't know anything about these but they look interesting.

http://www.markertek.com/Eartec.xhtml

Jeff, $3,000 for four sets isn't going to happen. Maybe we should just put a dog shock collar on our laborer LOL.

Beez, we typically all work independent and we don't do a lot of number exchanging but when we do, we would have to take off the ear protection even if they didn't have a music component in them. I don't hear well under any circumstances but I'd like to have the option of listening to something I'm interested in while I toil.

We are going to be implementing our table framing system again and the two people on the table will have to orchestrate their movements but most of it is logical and needs no verbal communication, once the saws and nailguns start rolling.

Try getting custom earbuds. If your ear cannel is different than the average earbuds don't stay put. You can get them at many doctor's offices and cost about $100.
    If you bat 1000 you're playing in the minor leagues.

Warren Buffet

I can't keep earbuds in for five seconds.

I'm also interested in the ear protection factor. I put on a set of headmuffs at my brother's house and made some cuts and liked the silence. His set had AM/FM radio and that worked well but I don't like commercials. I was hoping someone would know about one with blue tooth or something like that. I might opt for a mini I Pod though. My friend had a tiny one that held two gigs. He's got terrabytes of music so I'm sure he can hook me up.

Jim,
    Earbuds or not, You're not hearing what I'm saying. Until I got custom ear cannel earbuds I also could not keep earbuds in my ears. It seems my ear channels are are quite different than average. The custom ones offer brilliant hearing protection and stay in your ears. Beyond this I cannot offer assistance.
    If you bat 1000 you're playing in the minor leagues.

Warren Buffet

Thanks Keith. I didn't understand that the custom buds were ear protection too. I'm going to look into that because I don't really want to be wearing huge ear muffs in the heat of the summer.

You can get active noise cancelling headphones that allow you to hear the environment and conversation but block out harmful noise starting at around $60. Some also have AM/FM radio and/or bluetooth, 2 way com.

Any decent industrial supplier will have them.

The custom ear protection is quite good. They can act as ear protection.

When you get into high-end concerts, most of the musicians are wearing them, often with speakers and microphones to allow them to hear the levels as recorded, levels as they sound on stage, and to talk with each other. Handy when you're playing at a level on par with standing in front of a 747 turbine at full throttle.

They get really expensive.
    But, for a few hundred you can get one that's noise cancelling and plays your favorite tunes. It's the microphone that can work with all that noise that ups the cost. Most have little condenser mic.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang