Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Salvaging a house that was built without joists

Planning a job that will either involve a complete teardown and rebuild, or a comprehensive remodel.

If we end up taking this house down the remodel route, there's a big question mark in my head on how we'll proceed. The entire house was framed without joists. It has a perimeter concrete foundation, with piers on footings inside the footprint. There are a few girders running down the center of the two legs (it's an L shaped house). The subfloor was built by placing 2x12 boards on their side, resting on top of the perimeter wall and the girders (the span is about six feet between perimeter wall and girder). There are many splices which were done with small 1x material. As you can imagine, the floor is extremely bouncy... and the foundation walls are cracked everywhere due to be being built on expansive clay soil.

So... my question is: if we did try and save this 1949 structure... I Don't know how we'd lift it. I can get steel beams in to lift, but I imagine we'd have to essentially lift the walls off of the subfloor one at a time, frame in a proper mud sill, rim, and joists and then set each wall back down as we went.

The only reason to retain the structure is that it's a non-conforming structure with a 3' setback from the property line (5' is the city's new R1 zoning standard).

Any body ever tried this? I've lifted houses with undersized joists and such... but never one with zero support structure to work with.

Opinions welcomed!

IMG_1604.jpg130 Broad Footing Detail.pdf

Default Re: Salvaging a house that was built without joists

first, replace those fancy colored dancing shoes with something that will fend off those punji-sticks just waiting to pierce through your foot and give you a nasty dose of clostridium tetani.

second, put a match to the place
    Gary

If you need the extra 2' of setback then pick the place up by the top plate, install a new foundation and deck and put it back down otherwise it's probably faster and easier to start over

I'm glad you like my wife's shoes! She was busy shaking her head at those beautiful splices you see.

I suppose we could do that with a overhead lift to retain that wall. We'd have to throw some helical piers in to that footing to level it out and prevent it from dropping any further.

Perhaps starting over is the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOCraftBuilders View Post
    The only reason to retain the structure is that it's a non-conforming structure with a 3' setback from the property line (5' is the city's new R1 zoning standard).
    Maybe go in with a permit to substantially remodel with new foundation, then let it fall apart to the point nobody knows where the old ends and the new begins.

If you're going to lift it, I'd bring in a house moving specialty contractor and let them figure it out.
    I will never buy a Nissan Cargo Van.