Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Bath Fan Venting Installation

Hi all. This seemed like the best place to post this question.

I work in/on a lot of bathrooms in older houses. It seems that a favorite venting method is into the attic, which I will never leave once I'm aware of it. In most of these cases, I am able to get insulated ductwork either through the roof or through the sidewall.

My most recent project involves a brick house with a 100 year-old, slate covered hip roof. To this point, whenever I've dealt with something similar, I've used a rotary hammer to drill a bunch of 1/2" holes around the perimeter of the 4" hole and then use a chisel to connect the holes and make a hole for the 4" vent to fit through. This takes forever and I always seem to end up blowing out a big piece of brick or stone and have to mortar or patch something.

I would love to find a reliable way to drill a hole through a brick wall (core bit in rotary hammer, etc). Another problem is that a 4" hole isn't quite big enough for the collar on the wall vent cap to fit into. The pipe fits fine, it's just the outermost 3/4" that's a problem.

My real question is, how do you drill a 4 1/4" hole through brick?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to deal with this. I must be missing something. I'm grateful for any insights anyone can offer.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Default Re: Bath Fan Venting Installation

4" grinder with a diamond blade.
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Buy a 4.25 or 4.5" core bit for your rotary drill. Look around and order one.
    A 4" bit is so frustrating to use, been there, done that...just order the right tool!! It will pay for itself in one or two uses.
    Take Care

Jim

Thank you James.

My quick research showed that most core drills are meant for block, rather than poured concrete or brick. If I'm going to shell out major funds for this, I want to be able to go through it all. Will a standard 4.5" core bit in a SDS-MAX hammer be able to do this? I'm concerned about how hot the bit will get when it's 3" deep in brick. The last thing I want to do is burn up a $250 bit.

I'd also appreciate any tips on where to get the right bit.

Since I don't run into it that often, I rent bit and/or core drill. IIRC last time round was $65 for 1/2 day on drill and $55 for a day with the bit + wear, and the means for mount which was a tip to the sparky for their scissor lift for a couple hours.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
    Since I don't run into it that often, I rent bit and/or core drill. IIRC last time round was $65 for 1/2 day on drill and $55 for a day with the bit + wear, and the means for mount which was a tip to the sparky for their scissor lift for a couple hours.
    Sometimes it's cheaper (when all is said and done) to sub it out, there are a number of coring contractors out there.

Complications include making sure the water issue is dealt with (streaks and stains and interior wetting) or that the drill is air/vacuum-cooled.

They even make 4 1/4" core bits, IIRC.
    k
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by kfc510 View Post
    Sometimes it's cheaper...
    k
    Sometimes. Situations and capabilities vary. Good to know what the options are, and how much they cost.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

In a remodel situation I have either my HVAC or electrical sub do it, whichever one is doing some other work on the same job. Both of them do this kind of work routinely so they have the tools and experience. Plus installing a bath fan/exhaust ducting here requires an HVAC or electrical permit, so that makes it a simple choice.