Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: help ,window trim

Quote Originally Posted by calvert View Post
    Just clean up the existing edges a little with some sandpaper to get a smooth surface for the router bearing.
    One concern may be rot [sure looks to be one] which can present issue for the guide bearing. Something I've done to help in that regard is to use the old broken bits off a tape measure; cut right length and pop in a hole at each end, tack tautly with a 3d[?] common... can bridge a fair bit-o-sponge with a deft hand. A flat tape off a reel is typ better and if you haven't made one of your own 50¢ at a thrift store can stretch a long ways. Steel banding works good too but may be too wide. You can even drill nice holes, make a couple bends, and use a stove bolt or whatever for use as a clamp. Added thickness easily pared off if need be.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

Joseph,

I know your question was about templating, and everyone seems to be answering that, but why not use the originals as the template? I've done that many times with good results.

Pull all the nails you can with a cats paw. Cut paint lines. Pry gently and evenly and it will come off without breaking.

Bob

might be possible to remove them but i am glad to have the choice not to .looks like 16p nails hold it on and they are glue ups of apposing grain with lots of caulk .it is real good chance they could fall into odd pieces .I go Monday and will decide as I do it .Glad to be going feeling prepared .

I would make the pattern in place as others have said, then make the new trim as one piece, big oval cut out of a sheet of PVC. Flash/seal this oval all around as practical. Then make and apply the keys on top of the oval.

Done .Pulled the keys off and the casing sort fell off .Took the best piece and using a router made 4 copies . Close up the old trim was not perfect oval .but when done it was fine .Made the keys in the shop but everything else done on sight. Used clear cedar for trim and some gorgeous old redwood for keys .have 12.5 hrs of actual work on project /billed . used a bin/shellac based primer for it's fast drying and left it for the painter .At times I would of loved to of made a template with a trammel ,lines would of been better but that would of added to the time to the job and I was not feeling OK justifing that . Thankyou .
    Oh not mold in picture -those are cocunes/caterpillars .And did not seem to be leaking into the wall.

What, no "after" pic??
    ---Jerry

Try to learn from other people's mistakes---you'll never have time to make them all yourself

Window with primer .Also finally got use out of this festool table .It excelled at this job .Way easier to cut on my line this way then a mitersaw ,plus i had my work table set-up worktable
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK. Cool. Looks good. No flashing, though, I guess, huh? Caulking only, like the original?
    ---Jerry

Try to learn from other people's mistakes---you'll never have time to make them all yourself

yes caulking only -like the original . Wouldn't know how to do it differently .Not that there was an option .She tells me the last one lasted 20yrs . Thats with silicone which seems not to stick unless you want to remove it .And galv nails that the redwood most likely helped to dissolve .I will meet with her again regarding another project and will attempt to get the idea across that painting regularly is necassary and certain places [these windows] need more attention. She has not like hearing this so far .She says" if it is done right the first time should last ...]