Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default lite weight drywall

Has anyone been experiencing severe screw pops with the 1/2' lite weight drywall and what do you think is the cause.

Default Re: lite weight drywall

Last edited by Happy Home; 12-24-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

I have used it and not had any issues that I am aware of. You know what brand you have used that is causing the problem? I do not do enough drywall to have a prefernce to brands but I have heard guys say one brand breaks better than another, one has smoother paper, etc.

Maybe your brand is not a good one?

The usual cause is screws that are too long and wet framing lumber that shrinks as it dries out.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_k View Post
    The usual cause is screws that are too long and wet framing lumber that shrinks as it dries out.
    I agree.
    One of my last jobs was a 4mil$ rehab facility. I filled in at the end of the job for another Supt. and also did punch work. It was primarily stick built wood framing with prefab roof trusses. The PM told me that because it rained quite a bit when framing was in progress they went the extra mile to insure no screw pops. They not only screwed all the drywall, but glued it as well. I never saw any one job with as many pops. I believe what happened is that as the lumber shrank it pulled the drywall in with it, but the screw didn't
    move. The drywall company was excellent and had been in business many years and they said it was the first time they had ever done both gluing and screwing. They concurred that their effort to do a great job didn't turn out as planned. They took care of everything with no complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ablesupe View Post
    They not only screwed all the drywall, but glued it as well. I never saw any one job with as many pops. I believe what happened is that as the lumber shrank it pulled the drywall in with it, but the screw didn't
    move.
    In that case you'd think the glue would make the problem worse because the board won't flex even a little if the wood moves.