Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Please help me buy a Lull

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me buy a Lull

I would like to buy a Lull before the years end.

It will be for framing, wall panels, trusses, etc. for typical single family home construction.

Can I get some recommendations? Size, capacity, make, options, etc.

Thanks
    When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Please help me buy a Lull

Depends on size of projects but the I personally like the JLG model's with genie being my second. I only rent.

I prefer the 60' ones with the outriggers. Not that I need the height but more for capacity and reach.

The problem with that size is it creates more ruts and harder to navigate in tight lot's.
    My forum signature

Comment

2 story homes, wall panels, LVLs, has to be easily transported. I really don't know much about Lulls.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Buy a used machine with under 1000 hours if you can , For what you are planning you won't need anything longer than 42' thats a 6000lb lift machine . I also don't think outriggers are needed ( guys also get lazy and don't wait for the time to put them down )for your planned use. what you need is a machine with a sway body . You are in Boston and I am near the cape so you need someone that you can use for service . We use WD Matthews ,they have great service and parts dept . We have been using JCB for years good machine .
        Lulls are more pricey . WD Matthews also has a large rental fleet which the sell off machines occasionally

Comment

I agree that outriggers can be a bit much and add weight to a machine... But you don't need them until you really need them.

Sometimes a having the outriggers will allow you do something that a small machine could do but can't due to a mud pit or some other obstacle in the way.

I know there has been a few times I rented the smaller machine and wished I hadn't.
          My forum signature

Comment

There was and equipment sales guy name Frenchi in the BT forum that could give a dissertation on this subject. From what I remember: don't buy a used unit that was used for masonry because the grease fittings are plugged with mortar and it hasn't been greased properly.

Don't buy a unit that uses outriggers because if it's counting on outriggers to keep it upright, it's not stable enough anyways.

Buy a unit that is common in the area, because you will have qualified mechanics available to service the unit.

From my own personal experience: we bought an 8042 Skytrack with an articulating boom, jib and bucket. We used the bucket for snow removal and mud grading, as well as debris collection. Of course, we could have just used one of our skyboxes for the trash duty. The articulation feature often was useless because of the slope of the grade: once you leaned the machine, the articulation feature caused weird out of level conditions. The jib was useful for different reasons. We also had the tires foam filled, so punctures weren't an issue.

With all that said, I'd probably get another 8042 (8,000 pounds capacity, 42' reach), without the articulating boom, if I was in the market for a machine. However, I vaguely remember a discussion saying that the 8000 pound capacity was only needed by masons and that it was a disadvantage for framers because the machine was heavier and sunk more into the mud.

Comment

Ted, have you given any consideration to buying a crane or boom truck instead of a lift?

Six years ago, when we had both a Skytrak and boomtruck on each job, I always thought that if I had to choose one, I'd grab the lift. However, I had to do a panelized job last spring with only a Skytrak and I've changed my mind. Even with the lift, we had to do a lot of brute force shifting of heavy wall panels and my overall experience was that it basically sucked LOL!

Right now, we are in the market for a crane or boom truck and have looked at bunch of them. We have one in our sights and I think we'll have it by the start of the next job and we'll be table building all of our exterior walls. Even if we weren't panelizing everything, I still think a crane or boomtruck is the the better choice for residential framing.

Comment

Jim

I think I'd be in over my head with a crane and boom truck. I know I can make the Lull work, most of the larger panelized jobs I am familiar with are using Lulls, some very large.

I have a few friends, all use a Lull. I figure I'd start there. But I will keep in mind what you say. Thanks

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by jimAKAblue View Post
                  Don't buy a unit that uses outriggers because if it's counting on outriggers to keep it upright, it's not stable enough anyways.
                  I am un-aware of a 60' stick that doesn't have outriggers. We typically use them for siding and roofing. We load our own roofs and fiber cement siding can be heavy so we always need them for the extra weight capicity and reach.

The rest of what you said makes sense though. I'm not a framer but I guess you really don't need the extra weight.
                  My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by jimAKAblue View Post
                    Ted, have you given any consideration to buying a crane or boom truck instead of a lift?

Six years ago, when we had both a Skytrak and boomtruck on each job, I always thought that if I had to choose one, I'd grab the lift. However, I had to do a panelized job last spring with only a Skytrak and I've changed my mind. Even with the lift, we had to do a lot of brute force shifting of heavy wall panels and my overall experience was that it basically sucked LOL!

Right now, we are in the market for a crane or boom truck and have looked at bunch of them. We have one in our sights and I think we'll have it by the start of the next job and we'll be table building all of our exterior walls. Even if we weren't panelizing everything, I still think a crane or boomtruck is the the better choice for residential framing.
                    Blue,

Do you have to get certified to do rigging in Michigan? I think we are going to take the class. I'd like to add the skill to my resume. We do a lot of volunteer work and it would be helpful if we were legal for rigging.

Oh, and get a smart phone so you can take photos and post them. I miss that ;-)
                    www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
                    http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

In the January there will be changes for Forklifts in MA. you will need what was formally called 1C license . However we will not know what we need in MA. till after the new year . Having done housing , light commercial ,and steel buildings over 35 years I have only once needed more than I could reach or lift and when
                      I did I called a crane and we all were safer

Comment

I would look at the JLG Lull. I like the traversing carriage, it makes getting the forks under a load with the boom out easier. You don't have to feather the controls in 3 directions as long as the forks are flat they go straight in. Of course I'm not paying for it and I have no idea what they cost.

I like outriggers, you won't need them very often but when you do you'll be glad they are there. I picked up a load just yesterday that would have tipped the machine without the outriggers. The other situation where they are helpful is keeping the load under control when you have the boom way out. I was putting a load up and over a balcony with a glass rail and the outriggers made it a lot safer. On tires the boom dips, sways and bounces a lot more than with the outriggers. Then again I'm not framing with the machine so it comes down to the situations you will encounter.

The other deal breakers for me are 4WD, 4 wheel steer option, frame levelling and enclosed cab.

I would rent a couple first before buying just to see what you need, how easy it is to move around the site. Bigger isn't always better.

One other thing to consider. I don't like the machine I'm driving now. It's a older Cat TH63. mechanically it's been a great, dependable machine although parts are expensive. The visibility on the right side is BAD and I find the controls twitchy but you get used to it and at the end of the day I can lift anything within the capacity of the machine just as safely and just as fast as I could with any other machine the same size.

I would also get a loader bucket. Comes in handy for plowing snow, moving dirt, levelling the site and scrapping the job
                        Last edited by dave_k; 12-20-2013, 05:42 AM.

Comment

olllie

There is a WD Matthews in Shrewsbury, MA, about 30 minutes south of me. That would work, but I see they just have this one used machine for sale:

http://www.wdmatthews.com/detail/108

I think that is too much machine for me right now. I'm thinking of a budget in the $30-35k range. I figure if I needed as much machine as in this link it maybe better to rent.

But...I'd like to have the machine in my yard, I want to try and build wall panels, something I have been working on for a very long time, and the time is right. So if it were just for framing onsite, I'd rent. But because I would be building panels, I need to move them daily, so it makes sense to own.

Somehow I have to locate a decent machine by years end. I saw one in Pittsfield, MA which was a 2003 around $30k. I am assuming an earlier 2000's machine is in my price range. I am sure a later model would be 2x that.

Thanks for all the relies everyone.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I am guessing you have checked with the rental yards about rent to purchase. Here several of the yards will apply a portion of your rent towards a purchase price which gives you a chance to use the machine and decide if it is right for you.

Comment

Call them they have several places recently I rented a jcb from them and it came from the maine yard

Comment

Working...
                              X