Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Online Stair College

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Stair College

Online Stair College?

Currently there is not a single location or source where one can learn the craft of stairbuilding. The idea is being considered of establishing an online college, most likely through the Stair Manufactures Association, where a variety of classes would be offered on the subject from it’s most basic level up though the full tangent handrail approach. Various industry professionals would present a course outline of the subject matter for that class. The goal is to have a variety of courses of graduating skill levels such that a person just starting out could follow the entire program or a more experienced person could start in at the point farther along. As an online program one could work at whatever pace fits best. The course syllabus would be presented along with the suggested books and problems presented for solution. Real world problems and solutions, with an instructor who would review your work. Some subjects could be covered in a short time-frame and others could take substantially longer.

As with any college type approach the time commitment of the instructor would be a factor and as such it would need to be a fee based program. The goal here is not to create a for profit institution but a way to provide compensation great enough to attract the type of people who you would like to learn from.

Introductory classes would be shorter and therefore cheaper. As the subject matter becomes more complex the class would be longer and cost higher.

For those currently working on the tangent handrail subject matter you know all too well this is not something you will learn in a short period of time. Jim Baldwin has been very gracious with his time so far but to really learn the subject this is asking a great deal from Jim, and in my opinion more than can be expected without compensation.

Not everyone aspires to learn tangent handrailing and one could stop at any point desired.

Please take the time to indicate if this is something which has an appeal.
    If you bat 1000 you're playing in the minor leagues.

Warren Buffet

Re: Online Stair College

Not sure of the quality of the videos but what about You Tube?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...uilding&page=1
    ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Keith,

I think it's a great idea !!! The interest is definitely out there, as evidenced on this forum. Some time back there was a thread about "how to" install skirt boards and i'm pretty sure it had the most views of any thread ever since this forum began !!!

Wish i was retired - i'd love to share what i've learned over the years. For now, I still do stairwork to earn a living and it is a challenge to do so here in So Cal.

M Smith

Comment

I've said it before,.. I believe the SMA should have taken a more active role in education years ago. If they had, they might have established themselves (after 20 years or so) as a large and legitimate institution instead of a small, loose-knit association. Imagine, membership fees being applied to tuition for accredited technical training instead of a sticker-logo. (SMA is much more than that but I'm having my say.)

As for myself, I believe there's only a few guys really interested in learning (archaic) tangent handrail and I'm happy to help as I'm able. I can't do week-long seminars for free but do participate on forum's such as this. I should point out though that while the methods may seem archaic, the study and practice of tangent handrail is certainly not obsolete and In fact is still basic to understanding geometric stair design and layout.

The SMA could offer technical training in all aspects of modern stair manufacturing and not just what I might bring to the table. If not the SMA then who?
        Last edited by Baldwin; 12-18-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I guess since its online, there is No Lunch included ?

Comment

we got lunch at Keiths place and at mine

Comment

I think this is an excellent idea. I hope Mr. Baldwin and other leaders will make this a reality. I live in the deep south and, other than myself, I am unaware of any others near here that are interested in this topic. The possibility to study online the teachings of these folks is, for me, a dream come true.
              Chris

Comment

This is a great idea. I love building stairs more than any other thing I do as a solo GC/carpenter. I'm not very good at it, however, having learned nearly all of it thorough trial and error (and you stairbuilders and would-be stairbuilders know how painful the error part of that can be when building stairs!), books, and the internet.

Please count me as one of the VERY interested.
                No brains, no headaches

Jeff

Comment

I would be interested in this as well. Although I really do like the hands on classes.
                  Be true to your home
                  www.eightinchnails.com
                  http://www.facebook.com/EightInchNai...tionLLC?ref=ts

Comment

I don't think an online class can come close to the impact of a hands-on class, and this is a great example of a subject that really needs to be taught hands-on, building models or mockups. There's so much more to it than the drawing. You can't teach how to work with wood without working with wood. And then there's the issue of 'slow learners' like me! It's tough getting one-on-one instruction, or help catching up with the class, when it's an online course. And Billy's right...lunch is important, too!
                    Gary

Comment

The Heartwood School in Western Ma. Has a 3day stairbuilding class , and The North Bennett School in Boston used to but dropped it .

Comment

I agree with Gary that a hands on course is preferable to an online course but do see great value in an online course. I spent three years at Williamson Trade School and learned all the theory but never built a set of stairs until I got out. I built them from the drawings we had to make in class and put into a notebook. Those same drawings were used to write the TIC article on scribing skirt boards, Todd Murdoch having turned them into great 3d drawings.
                        In today's world of video, Cad ,Sketchup and possibility of an interactive classroom I think it's very possible to learn how to build stairs via the internet.
                        My son-in law just took an advanced course in Genetics. It can't be any more difficult than that.
                        Norm Yeager

Comment

Norm,
                          I think I'm reading you right...:) And I agree. There's probably a good bit of preparatory work that could be accomplished online PRIOR to a hands-on class--kind of like a course requirement. Stuff like basic layout, story poles, using a construction calculator, factoring in thicknesses on first floor, landing, and second floor, etc. Essentially, all the 'drawing' part preparatory to cutting anything. But once you start cutting wood, I think it needs to be a hands-on experience. And the handrail part...definitely hands-on, face-to-face, from beginning to end (so you can tell the instructor that you have NO FREAKIN' IDEA what he's talking about!)
                          Gary

Comment

I'm suprised at the feeling that in order to learn something it has to be a hands-on experience. I suspect that nearly everyone who intends to do some stair work has done some form of carpentry prior to this. Is it really necessary to have someone there to assist in using a chop saw, router, tablesaw, etc? Granted it would be faster to have a teacher in a classroom, faster still to have a mentor and work in a stair shop who took the time to teach you each part of the skill and not just be put on repetitive work. But if you are not 18 and starting out in an apprenticeship program you are going to have to do some studying on your own and apply yourself.

I would suggest that the tread "Proposed tangent handrail exercise" illustrates how this could work. Bellchipy had no real idea how to draw out an wreathed handrail was able to learn to do so by study and online guidance. He would have liked to attend a class in person but since he lives in England the cost was more than he could justify and yet he was still able to obtain the skills.
                            If you bat 1000 you're playing in the minor leagues.

Warren Buffet

Comment

No doubt people here are very passionate about stair building and old world carpentry techniques, but the internet is one big "online" college. With all the informational forums, blogs, videos, etc.. there's not much left to cover.

Now I'm sure if an industry "authority" on stairs presented a formal lesson plan there would be takers, but probably not enough to cover the cost of such a venture. Keep in mind these forums are an extreme narrow spectrum of the actual trade people in the real world. Most here are enthusiasts to a degree.
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X