Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default hexagonal gazebo roof

I have been researching framing techniques for the above project, as it's my first attempt. I turned a 6 sided finial for the hips to die into, and then discovered the Chappell Universal Square and Rule Co. from ME. The framing of this particular roof is next to impossible without the valuable information on their Master Framer square. The geometry is facinating and counter-intuitive when compared to a hip roof, but I've already done a 10:1 mock up in my basement and can't wait to frame the real thing in the Spring. The folks at Chappell were very helpful. This high quality Made in America square is a must for every serious carpenter's toolbox.
    Bill
    Booker

Default Re: hexagonal gazebo roof

It is a well made square , the geometry is just the same as any hip just a different run , look at Sim Ayers web page . Sim has a very clear explanation of the geometry and the use of the Chappell square

Bill, any chance of posting a picture of that mockup?

I cant remember doing a hex roof, so I'm interested in this discussion. I'm curious about your statement ".The geometry is ...counter-intuitive when compared to a hip roof".

What is it about the Chappell square that got you so giddy?

I can do that. The square is stainless steel with nice deep etchings both for the numbers and the tables. It is very high quality.
    The geometry: the length of the common rafters is related to it's position on the wall (invariably at the mid point), not to the total run (distance from wall to finial). Better math minds than mine know the reason why.
    Booker

www.velocirafter.com is also good..........
    Booker

Bill, I like the idea of deep etchings and easy to read. I don't think I'd like the extra weight that a steel square would add.

We typically see octagonal shaped roofs: never hexagonal. I typically install the hips first. I don't use a finial because we are rough framing and the framing is always covered. I derive my rafter length using a total run and total rise calculation. I then use a simple divider to break the total rise/run into a manageable set of numbers that will work on my framing square.

I realize that comparing a rough frame set of rafters to an exposed gazebo set of rafters is like comparing apples to oranges.

This is one of those cases of knowing and learning things outside of your normal box . Polygon roofs are very simple as long as you have a grasp of geometry . Yes, exposed framing is a different animal than just rolling trusses . You HAVE to get it right so proper layout is paramount
    For any polygon draw a 12" square and first draw a equal pitch hip in plan , then draw a octogon hip in plan .then you will see the run difference . Do the same with any other poly . The Chappell square uses ratios to help u calc many rafter lengths its very well made . I think its weight is hardly an issue it wont rust ,its SQUARE, and the #s on it are right on if thats what you use . The west coast guys have been hoisting heavy worm drive saws for years .we easties are sidewinders but a good square i think is worth it .
    The hex roof is a little like devers de pas you never know when you will need it

Counter Intuitive thinking for gazebo roof framing?

Hips before Commons

Layout option: Center a bay space layout instead of common. (to alleviate rafter connection congestion at the peak.) Unless ridge blocking the common down from the peak, which is common practice and complementary to cupola/vent w/peak ring construction.

With pavilion style construction, (exposed framing), it is better not to automatically use standard o. c. layout spacing divisions. With or w/o fascia, tails will look nicer if equally spaced at the eave line. Since a polygon/gazebo rarely has sides or fascia lengths over 16' it is not necessary to use standard layouts. If sheathing is with typical 4 x 8 sheet products, keep spacing at 24" or less, it is unlikely that there will be more than one course of decking with more than one sheathing break. Also, for skip decking, as is typical w/metal roofing, larger o. c. spacing is normal. Dividing the eave line length for equal spacing will make the exposed tails look nice and even and eliminate any short odd length jacks or spaces that may occur with a standard layout.

And for the 2" Hack Master production minded folks;

With covered, or unexposed framing, pretty much, anything goes, including standard o. c. layouts and square bevel head cut miters on the jacks. It is easier on the sawyer and the equipment to ridge block the jacks rather than cut really sharp compound miters with a swing-table skill saw. Imo. =)
    One Length Method© by Richard Birch

I do the "really sharp" compound miters on the octogon roofs that I have to do. I know I don't need to but I like the look better and I think it's faster than adding "ridge blocking". The method I use to make the "really sharp" compound cuts might surprise (or annoy) you LOL.

Hexagon Roof with King Post
    & Saint Andrews Cross Rafters
    & Square Tails
    & Dormer Rafters

Sim

Hexagon.jpg