Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Google's New Endorsement Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's New Endorsement Policy

This is why I'm skeptical of Google.
    I use some of their products/services, but with eyes wide open.

Starting Nov 11, Google will start doing this:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/new...opt-out-432005

In a nutshell, anything you buy or rent or whatever else via any Google property will become your "endorsement" in an ad your "circles" see, complete with your photo and contact info. So if you recently ordered a copy of "Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler" - maybe for a WWII research project for your high-school kid - from a vendor who uses Google Checkout, the next time someone in one of your "circles" gets a book-related ad pushed to them by Google, it might say "John Doe (YOU) recommends Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf ".

Is that what you want? I don't.

Even if it's not controversial, it's still going to be tough to keep everything to yourself. Music for example is a very personal choice - let's say your favorite artists are Air Supply and Barry Manilow... do you want your "Harley's Angels" biker club Google Circle knowing that that's what you like to listen to? Not me.

Even though I work in the public spotlight - I do NOT want my photo plastered all over the Internet with "endorsements" based on stuff I may have purchased. I don't want anything with my name on it in the same sentence with "endorsement" unless I've been paid to do research for a client and have presented a (private) report bearing my name. I buy lots of software and apps for testing for my columns and other client-related projects. That's sure as hell not an "endorsement" of any of those products or services. But according to Google's new policy - it will be.

And even if you do opt out of Google's scheme - that may or may not opt you out of what the hundreds of what Google partners might be doing with that same data. Even if they're "not supposed to" use it once you've opted out - is that what's really going to happen? With email marketing, your requests are pretty much ignored once you get past the primary marketer.

I constantly get email that says "you're receiving this because you opted in to XYZ....a partner of ours....". And if you read the extra-fine print in the EULA, it will say something like "you agree to allow us to share your contact information with our partnering companies". If that same policy winds up as part of "Endorsement Advertising" - which it absolutely will if it has not already - how are you going to opt of of that?

Luckily- for now at least you can opt out of Google's direct use of your information.

https://plus.google.com/settings/endorsements

Scroll down the page and clear the checkbox at " ..based upon my activity, Google may show my name and profile photo in shared endorsements that appear in ads" . Be sure to save the page before leaving.

- JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Re: Google's New Endorsement Policy

Thanks for the heads up. I am going through and opting out.
    www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
    http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

While I agree Joe, They are all doing this...
      My forum signature

Comment

I saw that yesterday. All is fair in advertising I guess. If you don't like it don't support their product I suppose. It's very annoying to have to be on guard before every click these days though. Technology always seems to be a double edged sword.
        Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by J.Buesking View Post
          While I agree Joe, They are all doing this...
          They do, usually just not a "well." Arguably the really big deal is, still, the “Double Irish Dutch Sandwich” served up in the number-keepers cafe.
          Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Pretty soon they will selling contractors leads based on their browsing habits...

"Suzy" is looking at "water faucets" online. Here's her email address "MarkMc" for "3.99"
            My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by J.Buesking View Post
              Pretty soon they will selling contractors leads based on their browsing habits...

"Suzy" is looking at "water faucets" online. Here's her email address "MarkMc" for "3.99"
              Mine are all at $9.99. It pays to buy addcents.
              Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

Food for thought: "Man Google is the only animal monster that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat......until...... he eats them." Bon appétit 2013

Comment

Fire can cook your food - or burn down your house and kill you.
                  Even water will kill you if you drink enough.

I suppose Google could be thought of as a double-edged sword, but my response is more like "there's no free lunch". Their thousands of web servers and thousands of employees and all that goes with indexing every word of human-kind so we can instantly find out the name of 'that guy' who was in 'that show' in 1969... well -- that comes at a cost. None of that stuff runs for free - they absolutely have to have a business model to support it.

Personally - I would GLADLY pay $20...$50... even $100/mo. Maybe more than $100/mo for the search capability Google offers. But I'm in the knowledge business - so what I had to go through before Google- trudging between the bookstore, the library, and the local university to research things... honestly it was torture compared to what is possible today with a few clicks. What takes me, working alone, a couple minutes now may have taken several people days pre-Google.

Not that Google is authoritative- it doesn't have to be. Just weeding out the crap and getting a list of sources for information is fantastic compared to the 'old way'. I feel the same way about Wikipedia. I know it's not always perfectly accurate - but then neither was any printed reference. But it does get you in the ballpark and from there - you can decide how to allocate research resources.

And I'd probably pay another $100 or more/mo for their block of applications. So long as there was NO tinkering with my usage or identity.

But my guess is I'm in the tiny minority. Finally - there's no way to know what a straight subscription model would look like for Google -or if it was even feasible. It could be the 'pay by data' model is the only one that allows them to continue to innovate.

Even when a company purchases their search appliance and pays the monthly royalties to use it - the last I knew the same public terms of service applied the second a search went 'offsite'. I have no accurate data to support this - but it could be that the one and only business model that makes sense for Google financially is what they're doing.

I've heard and read tons of conflicting information concerning Google's financial needs and their business model - so much so it's not worth commenting on, it's all over map.

Would be interesting to see the books ;-)

Just like the so-called "Search Engine Optimization" experts who claim to know this or that about Google's basic search and ranking algorithms - it's mostly baloney. No-one outside of Google's organization knows anything for sure about their search algorithms - it's pure speculation. And I'm guessing people INSIDE the organization only know the bits/pieces they're personally working on and nothing else. The way I see it in practice- they are working to some set of objectives (the "What" they try to accomplish with rankings) but the "How" - the actual code and search algorithms - those morph in response to an ever-changing Internet.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Comment

Of course they are.
                    When I was working with Dynami to develop that software, we had a couple of rebate modules in the works that would track all kind of builder usage data - and we had big manufacturers very interested.

Again - there's no free lunch. They'll do a rebate program for your affinity group, but not just for fun. If Whirlpool is going to give your group 10% off the lowest available wholesale price - or send them a free dishwasher every time they sell 10 - then they want some information they can use.

For example - the ability to predict FUTURE demand for finshes or colors is huge. Knowing that "stainless steel" is trending down in the northwest and "Oyster" is trending up somewhere else lets them plan production or shipping or warehouse capacity, and that's huge for them. And I think something like that is a perfectly fair trade.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Comment

This Thread pretty much confirms why I live in a Microsoft environment.

My company is my company, I make the decisions and don't need anyone interfering with that.

Microsoft understands this, companies like Google and Apple don't.
                      When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ted what you just posted is why I live in an Apple environment and not Microsoft or Google. I've been Apple since 1985 and really haven't had any major issues.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple. Just not for business. I couldn't change to Apple if I wanted too, every client, every organization, consultant, etc is on Microsoft.

The only way I could change to Apple if I was stand alone without this type of interaction, and if a were, I would probably change to Apple. I have actually see more migration to Google then Apple in the business world. But that is just my own perception.

Microsoft is not without its shortcomings either, we found Office 365 to have similar issues to Apple and Google. Pretty frustrated with it. it's like they themselves are not sure where its going or what its support to do.
                          When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

There is no free lunch that's for sure but if I occasionally have to pull my own chair out from the dinner table than so be it. And by that I mean occasionally have to "opt out" than so be it.

I've used google for 7-8 years religiously. Ad sense has brought me lots of income over the years. Anylatics, Voice, Mail, Drive, all of them is what I use. Never had a problem yet.
                            My forum signature

Comment

Ted
                              You hit the nail on the head re: Microsoft's cloud strategy in general. It's been a Cluster-F and I don't mean "fly" ;-)

SharePoint, DynamicsCRM, Solomon and Great Plains accounting, Office365- they're all solid software. The problem MS has is with their public relations and distribution strategies- and how they work with their 3rd-party developers.

Take Office365 - In the past couple of years, several times Microsoft has changed the product Names, the licensing requirements, what's in each package, the pricing, and even worse (for developers) what you can or can't access as a developer. It's very confusing - I can't keep track of it - and it's my job to keep track of that kind of stuff. Well - if I can't keep track of it, how is someone who only looks at it once in a while? No way.

Any of us who have dealt with MS on a developer level will tell you - it requires the patience of Job.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Comment

Working...
                              X