Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Non combustable machine base

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non combustable machine base

I have an upcoming project where we need to install a hearth ( for lack of a better term) that will also act as a machine base for a coffee roaster in a HACCAP and Organic certified facility inside a 1880's factory with a 4" thick wood floor.

One of the many idea floated was tile, Our plan if we mover forward would be to cut out the top 1" wear layer of maple floor so our tile installation sits flush. From here two idea were floated. One was to set durarock in a thick bed of thin set, and the other was to use ditra XL then install quarry tile and grout.

The biggest question with a tile installation of any sort is how it will hold up to the seasonal movement of the building and the constant vibrations of the machines, which has a 5hp blower to float the coffee beans.

Thoughts comments?

Re: Non combustable machine base

Marine plywood or similar with stainless steel over it. Or stainless sheet only. May / may not be flush with the floor. Screws / washers through all into the floor. SS angle around feet or wheels for stability.

A fab shop or try a used restaurant supply house - SS top or scrap yard.
    Last edited by Happy Home; 10-06-2013, 09:55 AM.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

I would also not cut into the original floor. I would form and pour a block of concrete, as large as necessary and as tall as practical. A machine base should have as much rigid mass as possible.

Fasten the machine to the base.

Comment

Originally posted by dgbldr View Post
        I would also not cut into the original floor. I would form and pour a block of concrete, as large as necessary and as tall as practical. A machine base should have as much rigid mass as possible.

Fasten the machine to the base.
        Why wouldn't you cut the floor? We are very limited on height, I think we have 3/4" of clearance. We also want to avoid creating to much of a lip for people to trip on.

I know where your going with adding mass to the base and I agree if we had the room but out plan was to anchor through the hearth to the 4" of wood below
        Last edited by BigLou80; 10-06-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Home View Post
          Marine plywood or similar with stainless steel over it. Or stainless sheet only. May / may not be flush with the floor. Screws / washers through all into the floor. SS angle around feet or wheels for stability.

A fab shop or try a used restaurant supply house - SS top or scrap yard.
          I don't know if this is a regional code thing but to the best of my understanding you either need to install the metal over non combustibles or provide an air space because metal is such a good conductor of heat.

The area we are looking to cover will be a minimum of 8'x12' and more likely 12'x 18' so it's not going to be as simple as going to a junk yard.

Comment

If you tile go with epoxy grout and make sure your sub-floor is adequate for the weight.

If it was me I'd contact an industrial flooring company in my area and consult with them.
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by LIHR50 View Post
              If you tile go with epoxy grout and make sure your sub-floor is adequate for the weight.

If it was me I'd contact an industrial flooring company in my area and consult with them.
              The floor is 4" thick and an engineer figured it out for about 250PSF. The roaster is pretty lite so weight is not an issue.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Keep in mind that a tile installation gets most of its strength from the setting bed and its support - not the tile. A heavy-duty quarry tile may seem like the best choice, but because of your height limitations, standard quarry tile over a single layer of backer board may not be a good choice. If the concern was weight only, quarry tile over CBU or FCB would be fine, but with vibrations, it may not have such a long service life.

Comment

Working...
                X