Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

IOS 7 My First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IOS 7 My First Impressions

Could it be true that Apple really can't function without Steve Jobs? It would appear that way.

I've had iOS 7 for a couple days. I honestly wish I had not upgraded. It's a major disappointment, for the reasons below - so much so that I'm reconsidering staying with the iPhone/iPad platform unless there's an update forthcoming.

Feature/Functionality:
    There are no doubt some nice, useful new features in this release. And every tech site on the Web will give you full coverage, there's no point in me repeating here. But IMO at best the good changes are evolutionary - by-and-large nothing life-changing. The bad ones however ARE live-changing, in the wrong direction. Less convenient. Less intuitive, less efficient.

The two changes most apparent at first are the color scheme/icon design, and a ton of new "animation". I'd put both of these in the category of "bloatware". Having screens zoom in and out does nothing but burn CPU cycles and battery life, and contributes NOTHING to the usability of the device. In fact quite the opposite since on older phones iOS7 is noticeably slower than was iOS 6. Some of this stuff can be turned off or at least flattened a little - but you can't eliminate it (which is what I want to do).

Second is the horrible new "color scheme" which consists of very light gray or blue text on a glaring white background, or dark gray/light blue text on a light gray background. This is unbelievable - it makes the device nearly impossible to use outside, and is headache-producing inside. There are a few accessibility settings to make the text more bold, larger, etc. but they're band-aids at best. And c'mon... my eyes aren't great but I don't have macular degeneration (although this phone might trigger that ;-) - should I have to turn on "accessibility" settings? The old iOS interface was pretty close to perfect - the new one works only in the TV ads.

New Swipes:
    There are also some new "swipe" patterns that you'll have to get used to - none are an improvement. Swipe down from the very top to get your "notification center" ... an swipe down from "almost the top" to get to "Spotlight Search" - a very important feature for iOS users. Spotlight was always "one home screen to the left" - Click home button once, scroll left once - you were there. No more - now you have to swipe DOWN and not just down anywhere. It takes practice to not load "notification" instead- Spotlight is no longer do it one-handed operation while on the move.

No Web Search - Spotlight used to search everything at once - phone, (apps,mail, messages - everything) and the web. Now, once you do get it loaded, you'll notice you can no longer search the web from here. W..T..F.. ?

RESOURCE HOG:
    Any time you do animation you burn up CPU cycles and battery life, and you increase the size of the software that has to be installed in the first place. In iOS 6, when you went from screen to screen, they simply appeared. Now new screens "Swoop in" like a bad newbie PowerPoint presentation. There is absolutely no benefit in this behavior.

Why would someone using a phone with one hand while walking around on a jobsite (or driving...shame on us) need or want screen animation? Worse, it kills performance of older phones, and it burned up nearly 3 GB of storage space (iOS7 required 2.9 GB additional space to install, and as far as I can tell it did not release a single byte after installation was complete...researching..) There are a few ways to modify this behavior in settings, but I want it GONE.

COLOR SCHEME:
    Likewise the light-on-lighter color scheme. Here's hoping iOS 7.001 has a "color theme" tool or similar where we can at least set up some contrast that will work out-of-doors.

100s OF NEW FEATURES - NONE THAT MATTER - AND NO NEW MAIL:
    Not to be a total downer, where are some nice new features in iOS7, and there are million words written about them in the various tech sites so I won't repeat - except to complain about the ONE thing we all desperately needed in iOS and still do not have - a productive e-mail client. Yes "Mail" allows you to read and respond to your mail - so from that perspective it works. But here is a short list of the things it cannot do that Microsoft Outlook has handled nicely since its very first release.

- Can't sort the inbox (or any folder) by sender, recipient, date, subject -nothing. Message arrive and are listed last-in on top, and that's that. If you want to find a message from three months ago from a sender who you can't quite remember - happy loading and scrolling. The only work-around is using Spotlight Search (which does work well) but you need to know more of what you're looking for.

- Can't Easily set up recipient "Groups" on-the-fly. Sure, you can create "groups" in your contacts app with 2-3 people in them (or whatever) and send a new message to that group, but what I'm talking about is more organic, a way to whip up that group on-the-fly and use it for that one mail string without having to formalize it. There are plenty of times I need to send project info to a client plus their brother and their kid... but I don't need that combo taking up permanent "list" space.

- In general, you need third-party apps to manage projects productively- The mail/calendar/contacts apps are simply not integrated tightly enough. That's not really a complaint - Trello or ToodleDo or BuilderTREND mobile work better anyway - but if you're going to pour development dollars into your operating system with all these core apps - shouldn't the apps evolve along with everything else? Otherwise all you have are the new colors and animations.

Of course, as I've mentioned before - the real purpose for the operating system is as a framework/platform for developers - and with the advent of 64-bit computing on iPhones, no doubt a large % of the development effort in iOS7 was behind-the-scenes, necessary to support what's coming down the road as 3rd-party developers create new 64-bit apps. But that could have been a minor update without upsetting the entire UI/UX apple cart.

Bottom line- I'm no more impressed with iOS7 than I was with Windows 8. Both are huge misses that need major re-work and a quick ".1" release to fix them and restore credibility to their developers. We expect those "third time is the charm" shenanigans from Microsoft - we don't expect it from Apple. If this is the best "Sir" Jony Ives and Tim Cook can "cook up" without Steve Jobs, they have a big problem on their hands. The iPhone 5S went on sale today - my plan was to go get one but after seeing iOS7 I'm putting that on hold. I'm betting millions of others are doing the same.

Thoughts? Agree or have at me - but remember to (please)keep it civil.

JLS
    Last edited by jstoddard; 09-20-2013, 01:17 PM. Reason: I can't stop tinkering ;-)
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Re: IOS 7 My First Impressions

I could not agree more with your comment about the mail program. I'm not sure how it gets out of the building like it is.

The colors look pretty but are difficult to read, difficult enough that I just assumed there was an override setting somewhere.

Performance on the iPhone 5 seems quite snappy.

The biggest impression after using iOS 7 for a while, is how much it is like Windows 8, functionally and graphically, not sure if that's good or bad but it may indicate a change in who is the hunter and the hunted.

Comment

It's astounding to me that there is no way to substantially change the Interface color scheme. One of the slickly produced TV/Web ads with Jony Ives blathering on was about how the "experience" changes with the background blah blah blah.... So I also (wrongly) assumed there would be some controls to impact that "experience".

Nope. At least nothing major.

A few of the semi-transparent screens of course take on the muted color of whatever is underneath them. So a red base makes it look "red-ish" and a green base make it look "green-ish" - as you say exactly like the Windoze Aero interface- it's really no big deal.

But seriously folks...anyone with an IQ high enough to allow them to feed themselves would instinctively know that you can't put light gray text, (thin-thinner-thinnest... 1-2 pixel line thickness building the icons) - on a bright white background - and expect it to be readable anywhere "mobile" users frequent. Reading online, I see a lot of complaints about the symbols they used in the icons - that doesn't bother me, they're mostly accepted universal symbols (Bluetooth...WiFi... Edit... Compose... etc.). What bothers me is that you can't read them - not enough contrast between background and content. And no good way to fix it.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Comment

I agree that the flashy animation needs to go. I have a workhorse desktop and I still turn all that off on windows 7.

The evernote app is much better though.

I'll post more later when I have time.
        My forum signature

Comment

Originally posted by jstoddard View Post
          Could it be true that Apple really can't function without Steve Jobs?
          I've always believed that Apple died when Steve Jobs passed away. You guys have seen my posts on that.

I do believe behind all of Apples greatness was just one guy. No doubt Apple will last a long time, but they have fallen from greatness and will never return.

Ask yourself what is you absolute all time, favorite song? Then ask yourself why do you feel about it they way that your do? You can't explain it. There is more to it then logic.

Steve Jobs built a company understanding what it takes to make people "want" and "desire". It was more than phones and computers. It was his concepts, which are gone.
          When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
            No doubt Apple will last a long time, but they have fallen from greatness and will never return.
            Larry Ellison said much the same just before the Americas Cup got underway a couple weeks back.

Now even BusinessWeek says they're doomed!
            Donald on the basis of his net worth valuation-

"...feelings, even my own feelings, and that can change rapidly day to day"

Comment

I invested quite a bit last year converting my business over to Apple. Ha late to the party again! I probably won't go back even though most of my estimating and design software only runs on Windows. I love the way I can set an appointment on my phone and have it on all my computers via the cloud immediately.

That said I downloaded IOS7 and am also not impressed. I like the newness of it but it looks too fluffy.

AKA Rocket

Comment

It's good that the Evernote app is good - but we have to give credit to Evernote, not Apple for that. The Evernote guys are batting .900 at getting good software out the door (one exception - the Windows client still has no text highlighter - promised for two years and now available on every other client except Windows. That's why they get a .900 not a perfect average from me).

I'd like to experience that great new app - but it won't load on my phone. I get a weird second "phantom" icon on the home screen next to the Evernote icon - and the app never starts. Tech support has been contacted. I'm expecting a needle-in-a-haystack fix. I've already uninstalled/re-installed with no change.

RE: iOS7. I'm bloatware's biggest enemy. With very few exceptions, making things giggle/wiggle, swoop, fly -in, whatever - are useful only for making TV ads about the device. They almost never improve a user experience and they almost always waste CPU cycles, RAM, and storage space. What is really interesting is that Apple's new design "flattens" all the icons - solid colors with no shadows - very Peter Maxx-y '70s retro... no more attempt to make the buttons look like real-life buttons, etc. I'm fine with all that. So why then would the same UI designers think it necessary to make the text/thought bubbles "dance" when someone responds to a message - or for that matter, why do you need thought bubbles at all? What's wrong with one person's side of the conversation being justified left - and the other person's side of the conversation justified right? It's human conversation, not a comic strip.

"Stuff for the sake of Stuff" is diametrically opposed to what Apple has done in the past. Their stuff has never been "minimalist" per se -but it was also seldom over-stated, and every button, switch, icon, etc. was there for a good reason. Take the AppleTV remote control. It has 3-4 buttons that do everything, and no learning curve.

Even though Steve Jobs didn't personally dream all that stuff up- I do believe he personally said "This sucks - go back and do it again" when he thought something...sucked. And everyone went back and did it again. It's almost unbelievable that one individual would have that much influence in a corporation the size of Apple - but apparently, he did.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Comment

Ted - I never say never - never is a long time. Leadership can rise from strange places. That said - without that "Savior Faire" Apple is just another technology supplier and now they've got to get down in the mud with Google, Samsung, Microsoft, etc etc. They've always been able to justify the highest price on the block despite using exactly the same components available to everyone else (albeit in different ways) - that advantage has faded and without it - price becomes the major competitive factor.

The iPhone 5S is apparently selling strongly, as everyone predicted. Let's see what happens 6 mo. or a year from now

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Comment

Joe,

To access Spotlight, pull down anywhere on the screen except the very top. You can be at the bottom and pull down, Spotlight will appear.

Go to Settings General-Accessibility and turn on Bold, then turn on Increase Contrast next Settings-Wallpaper and Brightness-turn down the brightness some. I also changed what wallpaper I could to black.

The above helped mine. The motion I don't even notice and I have not changed its setting.

I don't get your mail issue, if I need to send to multiple recipients I just add each to the address line after a coma. If I need to send you Allen, Ted, Josh, Mark an email start to type and it fills in from my Contacts. What am I missing? (ignoring the fact I don't have a few of those email addresses).

Tom

Comment

I have an iPhone 5 and iOS 7 seems faster to me. I really like the fact that Siri is noticeably faster and more accurate.

Comment

Looks similar to the android system now - maybe their on to something...
                        -Dan

Comment

I bought a 5s iPhone the 1st day they were out (Friday), and so far I like features it has. The fingerprint feature is nice, faster than punching a code. It also can be used as your Apple ID when buying apps. The camera is really nice, which is one reason I bought it. Overall it does seem faster. The Facetime feature seems different too, I can actually talk to someone with the other person seeing what I see as I walk a house. So if you are a client and I am in your house explaining something to you on my the speaker phone, you can see in real time what I am talking about. Or a project manager could be explaining some detail to me or a sub or a technician with the other person seeing what he is talking about and with them discussing it with both parties seeing the item.
                          Last edited by Allan Edwards; 09-22-2013, 07:40 AM.
                          ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

I'm not seriously mobile for business. I still do the bulk of my actual work on a laptop, so I guess when it comes to my iPhone and iOS, I can be easily swayed by style over substance. That said, I think iOS7 is great for the most part. I like the upswipe control panel (even on the lock screen). I like the side swipe to go back a screen in Safari and other apps. Suri and the guy voice are a ton better, and you can do more system commands with them. The home button tap-tap mutlitask app switcher is an improvement, although still seems a work in progress. The camera app is cool (even without the major camera hardware upgrade of the 5s camera). Facetime audio-only works pretty well. AirDrop has some interesting possiblities too. My 60's and '70s radio seems better in iTunes radio than Pandora. All of the subtle and not-so-subtle visual, animation, and design stuff ... yes alot of it is silly and consumer-centric. However, true to Apple style, it's basically well-done, polished, and fun. Apple could be cool again. Sure, some of the new stuff was taken from Android and WebOS, but so what? I'll take it. For serious grinding it out, day-to-day business on iO7, I can understand Joe's and other's frustrations with the distractions in iOS7, and shortcomings of some of the apps, For me though, I give iOS7 a thumbs up.
                            Last edited by admin; 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM.
                            Braddock Bull
                            Senior Web Developer
                            Systems Engineer
                            Hanley Wood Business Media
                            [email protected]

Comment

I had some time to configure some things.

Turned bold Text on
                              Increase Contrast on
                              Reduce Motion on

I like it. I'm with the admin. I do most of my stuff on my desk or lap top. I mainly reply to emails and take pictures on my phone.

The email sorting etc that Joe describes that is lacking. It is. I know the gmail client on my android let's me send out group emails from it. I just don't do it enough to say it negatively affects me.

Also I've always bought the 8GB iphone or whatever the least one is. I really don't know. I always clean the pictures off my phone every couple days out of habit. Other than my offline mode on spotify I really don't store anything on my phone. All on Google Drive so the 3GB it's taking up doesn't really affect me either.
                              Last edited by J.Buesking; 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM.
                              My forum signature

Comment

Working...
                              X