Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default waterproof cabinet doors?

We've all seen the plain laminate cabinets in doctor's offices. I have to redo a medical lab with a slight issue. A couple of lab machines sit on counters and unavoidably drip water from time to time. The current lower cabinet doors below the machines show noticeable swelling of the door slab, even though the laminate has not come unglued.

What would you use for a waterproof door slab material? Laminate must be used. Anyone try laminate on Azek sheet?

Default Re: waterproof cabinet doors?

I think you'll have to try this, not sure I' e read of anyone doing this.

Hopefully you have a piece of Azek you can try it on.

Color keep you from going with just 3/4" white sheet with laid down edges?

Tom

“I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

King Starboard Plastic‎1 (855) 685 6353
    www.boatoutfitters.com/King-Starboard‎

I see Mark just beat me to it.

Why can't you use MDO plywood as the substrate for the laminate.
    Last edited by calvert; 09-15-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

I just did a stainless steel cabinet install and the doors that came from the manuf. were an "Azek" like product for the core and skinned with SS - they had very noticeable bows to them. For that reason and my unfamiliarity with Azek i would not use it. Instead, I would use Extira MDF as the core. I fabricated some 8' exterior electrical panel access doors utilizing Extira for the "core" panel which worked out great- talked to the GC of the project two years later and he said they still looked great and were hanging true. From the research i did, Extira was/is the only true "exterior rated" mdf and is mostly used by sign makers. Medex had some issues and was no longer being utilzed for exterior applications.

The ultimate would prob. be alum. honeycomb panels - mostly used in custom components for high end interiors of aircraft. Very pricey.

M Smith

Aha, yes I now remember Extira, never used it myself. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, need to use laminate for color and texture match with other rooms in the suite.

another no vote on the Azek for the doors. It might be able to hang just fine but I have seen it bow quite easily from just leaning it up against the wall instead of flat, a little heat on one side and not the other. If you did use it I would sure try it out first to see how the glue affects it in particular.

You should remind about them wet floors and slip/fall accidents and sell them a new contained top.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

I was going to say MDO, but an exterior MDF would be just as good.

I tore out a bunch of 10 year old resturant buffet cabinets that were exposed to all sorts of steam, water, goop, and grease. I was impressed with how well the 3/4" AC ply held up. In the back of my head I've wondered if the seams held off the water so well because there was a good dose of grease that's been rubbed in every crack and corner. The ply on one large cabinet was so flat we snagged enough to repurpose it into three router table tops.

The large amount of expansion and contraction of AZEK leads me to think it's not the best thing to use under HPL - the door may be waterproof enough to work underwater, but the laminate may fall off as the adhesive fails.

Yes, restaurants have so much grease on everything that it makes the cabinets waterproof. I once had to kneel on a restaurant carpet to do something and when I got up both of my jean legs had 3" oily spots at the knees. My carpet cleaner had cleaned the carpet 2 days before.

Azek won't expand in an office environment because the temp is constant within a couple degrees.

One word of caution if you do end up using the Extira - the sawdust in moderate amounts on the shop floor (if concrete) presents a slip hazard. I know that sounds like an over the top safety warning thing but i've never worked with any other panel product that generates as slippery a sawdust. After realizing how slippery it was I made sure to keep on top of sweeping it up often. I think it's impregnated with some type of wax substance, not sure though, just an educated guess.

M Smith

I just had the mill shop make me some vanity doors out of marine ply to be painted. They use it for outside signs of course.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54