Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Cutting fiberglass columns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting fiberglass columns

Hi all, It's been a very long time since I've been here but I could really use some help.
    Tomorrow I have to make 32 tapered cuts (9/16" to 1/4") on 16 pre-finished cherry venered fiberglass colums while making as little mess and noise as possible.
    Today we just used a planer but that took over 20 minutes for one cut and had many complaints from folks in this office building.
    Doing the work off site is not an option so what might work best? Skill saw, jigsaw, grinder, Fein saw or just stick with the power planer?
    Many thanks, David

Re: Cutting fiberglass columns

Have you got a picture of what you are doing?

I'm not really following the what you're doing, much less the why.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

What is the size of the stock you are starting with or are they 9/16 tapering to 1/4 ?
      Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5ZtBpgBQE

Comment

This is a perfect job for a track saw and dust extractor.

Tom

Comment

I'll take guess and say the cut is on one of the ends. I'd use a jig saw which is what I normally use to cut round columns. I usually mark it with something flexible like paper. Pictures would be good.
          ~Kent~

Comment

Sorry I was not specific enough before. My brain was wore out last night. These columns are not full. they have had about a third sliced off at the factory so we are mounting the remaining 2/3 along the walls of a courtroom. The reason for the cuts is that the bases are a little too small and about 1/2 inch off the wall. The capitals are also a little too small and about a 1/4" off the wall so we have to cut the 10 ft length of the coulmn in order for the radiuses and reveals to work out.
            I'm worried that just running a saw of some kind down the column we could easily damage the finished veneer and cutting from the backside could cause blowout thus why we opted for the planer yesterday but we received too many complaints about the noise.
            I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Home View Post
              What is the size of the stock you are starting with or are they 9/16 tapering to 1/4 ?
              At their widest point the columns are about 16" wide. They are about 11 inches deep since they had their backs sliced off and almost 7/8" thick.
              Thanks all,
              David

Comment

I can say without a doubt, the Festool TS 55 track saw with a 48 tooth blade will not damage the veneer. That saw hooked to a CT will be quieter than your planer and get the job done in a tenth of the time.

In your case, even with the CT connected to the saw there will be some dust, not much though.

If you have to purchase a track saw to do this stay away from the cheap ones that have recently hit the market. Stick with Festool, Maffel, DeWalt, Makita. Again, I can only vouch for the TS 55 with the 48 tooth blade.

Where are you located?

Tom

Comment

Ditto on track saw with good dust extraction. May need to create a jig to hold to the column. A standard saw with a helper with vacuums could do the job, also. Use a straight edge and score the veneer very well, cut a little shy of the line, then belt sand to the line.

Planer and fiberglass just don't mix. It would be faster to have done that with a belt sander with a very rough belt.
                  http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

I totally disagree on using a "standard" saw on these columns. Just finding a blade as well made as the track saw blades are for this type of job would be very difficult. Then there is the tolerance of the bearings. Not worth the risk.

One other thing, when you make your cut, back bevel 5-15º, This will make scribing in easier.

Tom

Comment

I agree with Lavrans. The biggest challenge here, assuming you have or can access a track saw, is going to be holding the flat rail on the round stock. I don't envy you, just thinking about that much fiberglass cutting makes me itchy...

- Kit
                      www.northparkwoodworks.com

Comment

David, this is an interesting thread. Thanks for posting the question. I'm going to agree with Lavs and Kit. It may be tuff to attach a track to a round column. I'd give it a shot and see if it works. You can also use the track saw with out the track and just free hand it. If going that rout I'd cut proud of the line as Lavrans suggested and belt sand to the line. You could use a regular saw but that may produce some chipping. If the tract saw is no good then I'd go with a jig saw with a high quality blade, cut proud and belt sand.
                        ~Kent~

Comment

Originally posted by vanderpooch View Post
                          The biggest challenge here, assuming you have or can access a track saw, is going to be holding the flat rail on the round stock.
                          He didn't say the columns are round, did he?

Comment

From the description of the size (16x11) I'm guessing they're not round.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by David N View Post
                              The reason for the cuts is that the bases are a little too small and about 1/2 inch off the wall. The capitals are also a little too small and about a 1/4" off the wall so we have to cut the 10 ft length of the coulmn in order for the radiuses and reveals to work out.
                              Me thinks radius=roundness.
                              ~Kent~

Comment

Working...
                              X