Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Van Buying Advice

I don't think I can wait over a year for the Transit. I have been looking at my options for a one ton van for use in my contracting business that can fit in tight parking spaces with low headroom (I have used a GMC that is 6'8" for years & even that doesn't work in a lot of places);

Fiat Ducato/Ram Promaster available soon (taller & questionable front wheel drive performance but good MPG), Nissan NV available now (Nice features but long hood, taller, MPG), Mercedes Sprinter (Nice vans but expensive, maintenance issues, tall), GM Express/Savanna/3500, a friend works for a Ford dealer & can get me X-plan pricing on a E-350.

MPG; I just ran some reports & I spent $1400 on fuel last year & $1300, $1200 in prior years. Much less than I though even with my fully loaded old guzzler. Most of my work is close to where I live.

Used vs new? I have never bought a new vehicle & would be taking out a loan or leasing it. Thoughts? I am going to post this in the other thread as well.

Default Re: Van Buying Advice

I suggest you work form the other direction: what will you do with the van? Work inside it? carry tools? Carry materials? How much weight are you carrying now? Then you can figure out what the minimum is. I weighed my van empty and full so I knew what I was hauling at any time.
    I ran an E-150 for a few years and was surprised at the weight capacity. I realized I was hauling a lot of empty space much of the time so I downsized to a minivan several years ago. May not work for you but it does for me.
    There is always something new and better coming down the pike but there are plenty of good vehicles out there right now.

On the otherside of the coin I had the 2500 [light weight 3/4] last time and had to stop relatively fast -it did not . so i went with a 3500 . plus with years of knowledge behind me towing trailers I now no that truck needs to have a chance at stopping that trailer without brakes . trailer brakes often are not there .
    sure understand the size thing . can you put a rack on top . My father was wanting me to go new ,had this idea you can write it off .I think he wanted to believe I made more then I did .He passes before I actually arrived [special order box truck] .Do i regret buying new -no .But I do wish I got the electric windows for another 1000$ .You can make great buys on used ones ,great buys .And these trucks these days last and last .
    As for car salesmen -that has been a lesson .I did not get good treatment ,maybe not lied to but close enough .All about the sale .I went with the salesmen -if i do it again I go with the truck .
    let us know more of what you do .good luck .

I don't put many miles on my truck either. The way I look at it, why buy new? The advantage seems so small compared to the large cost difference.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Joisey View Post
    I don't put many miles on my truck either. The way I look at it, why buy new? The advantage seems so small compared to the large cost difference.
    Good advice. I will have to see what the X-Plan pricing is with incentives, warranty & low interest loan & will test drive the Promaster when it gets here but I think I might stay with a used GM or Ford van. Especially with the economy in the state its in. But would I feel the same if gas doubles in the next few years?

I am used to working out of that shape & height here with my pullout extendo bed & removable roof racks. The only things I would change are higher GVW & getting a sliding side door since I can barely access through that side in a parking space here.

One of the reasons I was drawn to the Transit & the Promaster is that they are available with drivers side & passenger side sliding doors. GM has a version of that but they all need to be standard doors, not sliding.

Now, lets get into a civilized Ford vs GM debate. First of all what is a one ton van? I am reading weight specs that are all over the place for vans. I have been using a GMC Vandura 2500 which was always referred to as a 3/4 ton van. I bought it because at the time it was hard to find decent used one ton vans here. I also liked that it had been a Sherrod custom van with lots of great features. I had extra leaf springs added but have needed to have front end work done quite a few times due to all the weight I carry all the time.

Most of the contractors here seem to use Fords.

well the ford vrs gm . I had a dmc 2500 ,but it is really a heavy duty 1/2 ton .By my perspective it gets great gas mileage .Though not 100 % sure what that is .Loaded or unloaded it got 15 -18 when I checked .
    It has a small motor ,that is the reason for the better mileage .
    one of my clients owns a car repair shop .told me the 2000 model year rang of gm trucks are very dependable,any shop can work on them and parts are cheap[relatively] .he never mentioned ford one way or the other . I dought it matters much .probable is going to be your personal choice or the deal you find .good luck -or happy shopping .

Could someone please explain payload capacity regarding calling trucks & vans 1/2, 3/4 & one ton? I just checked some specs on the 2013 E150 & Chevy Savanna 1500 & the payload capacities are 3312 & 2016 pounds respectively. Both over a ton yet considered 1/2 ton vehicles?

I read somewhere that; "Once upon a time the names matched the ratings but they haven't matched for quite a while. Now it is just a differentiation between models in the product line." & "When you get to 8 lug wheels and full floating axles, you have true heavy duty."

I guess I will be looking for an Ford or GM 8 cylinder van with 8 lug wheels and full floating axles.

that makes sense . 8 lug floating axel is the real 3/4 ton .

1/2 tone refers to the carrying capacity I believe. You've gotta look at the GVW specs and weigh the van to see how much capacity you really have. I started weighing vehicles when I realized my pick-up was over capacity just carrying my basic tool load.

Quote Originally Posted by Construction Animal View Post
    Used vs new? I have never bought a new vehicle & would be taking out a loan or leasing it. Thoughts? I am going to post this in the other thread as well.
    Limit your debt. I vote so for something that is newer used only to keep your level of debt down. I made some financial mistakes at an early age and it took me a long time to get debt free.

Buying or owning a car is another accomplishment aside from your house. However, before you decide which car to buy make sure you search the type of car you need and the purpose why you want it. There are several web sites that can help you purchase your own car and payment you want to avail. How many times have you needed more info about a pre-owned or new car or truck and turned to an internet search on “auto loans in Michigan?”