Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Longest lasting wood for exterior painted window

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest lasting wood for exterior painted window

If I could use any species of wood (to create a custom window)and paint it to last as long as possible what wood should I choose? Area is Pennsylvania. Also

I would use best paint available with 4 coats.

Re: Longest lasting wood for exterior painted window

Petrified wood endures time & insects well.
    Like any exterior assembly, its coating & sealing are vital.

Comment

Is this an operational unit or fixed glass? What architectural elements are incorporated into the structure to add protection? Is the sash a multi-pane true divided light or a single pane glass?

There are woods that will "do the job" under one set of conditions and other woods that I would recommend based on a total understanding of the conditions.

Bronze casements are available ...at a price, that will never need anything maintenance wise in your lifetime or your owner's lifetime.

Give us an idea of the setting and the budget.
      "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

Customer wants one operational as a casement, and one fixed. But both could be fixed. Pellas numbers for a clad casement were to high because the windows are a half circle at the top. Double insulated glass mullions both sides. Amish window maker has given me a great price and I want to spend any extra money that is wise on the best species of wood, He quoted Spanish cedar.

Comment

Originally posted by aptbldr View Post
          Petrified wood endures time & insects well.
          Must be joking, but the closest thing to petrified wood that you could use to build a window would be TimberSIL.

Comment

American Chestnut.

Comment

On the practical side, I have Spanish cedar exterior stair rails still going strong after 10+ years. Prime and paint the parts prior to assembly, then top coat.

Comment

I used Spanish Cedar for 26 double-hungs in a 1888 carriage barn restoration job a few years ago. I also made the carriage barn doors from 12/4 for the stile and rail assembly and 4/4 for the infill t&g panels. Everything is fine with the wood but you still have to consider the weatherstripping and the operational unit hardware.

You might do well to ask to look at a window or two that has been in service for a few years to see what issues may have developed.

The supreme wood that has been used by a number of custom window manufacturers is usually considered to be Genuine Mahogany. Considering how little wood actually goes into a sash, the cost of wood for a set of windows as you describe can't really be great enough to have any huge variation in price.
                "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

Over the years I have used Honduran mahogany (swietenia macrophylla) as the wood of choice for exterior millwork in Houston, a hot, humid climate in summer. It is a very durable, weather resistant wood. As I understand it from millwork personnel, this type of mahogany is not available today in the same quality or quantity as it was 20 years ago. The substitute wood being used locally is Sipo mahogany which is a type of African mahogany. It is very similar in characteristics to the Honduran mahogany.
                  Painting un-treated exterior wood is important to ensure long-term service; but my experience indicates that applying a paintable preservative prior to painting is equally as important. Virtually no coating system is 100% waterproof. If water gets through and raises the moisture content of the wood high enough, the wood will start to rot. This is where the preservative becomes effective. Its active ingredient inhibits the growth of wood destroying fungus. I use Woodlife Classic Clear Wood Preservative by Zinsser Co. I recently has some divided lite millwork built for a job out of Sipo. Prior to the glazing, I went to the mill and applied the preservative to the rails, stiles, and muntins. Even if water penetrates the paint-glazing compound seal, it has to contend with the preservative before it can activate any deterioration

Comment

Painting un-treated exterior wood is important to ensure long-term service; but my experience indicates that applying a paintable preservative prior to painting is equally as important. Virtually no coating system is 100% waterproof. If water gets through and raises the moisture content of the wood high enough, the wood will start to rot. This is where the preservative becomes effective. Its active ingredient inhibits the growth of wood destroying fungus. I use Woodlife Classic Clear Wood Preservative by Zinsser Co. I recently has some divided lite millwork built for a job out of Sipo. Prior to the glazing, I went to the mill and applied the preservative to the rails, stiles, and muntins. Even if water penetrates the paint-glazing compound seal, it has to contend with the preservative before it can activate any deterioration[/QUOTE]

Judson Bryant..... I have made reference to this same approach here several times in posts dealing with similar issues of millwork assemblies. Thanks for reiterating the concept. When I make a window or door,(typically mortise and tenon const.), all parts get sealed with an epoxy sealer prior to assembly and then sealed again when assembled. This step most assuredly prevents a lot of moisture related failures from wood decay to paint lifting.
                    "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

Ive found a good one to go with if its getting painted is Brazilian ceder on the sill where most of the rot happens and you could use poplar (over here we use red pine which i'm assuming is the same as poplar) for the rest,just ensure to prime all joints prior to assembly an maintain it with a micro porous opaque paint an you never have to replace them,
                      Last edited by scottish joiner; 04-21-2013, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I don't think so. Red pine is Pinus Resinosa, pretty much ordinary North American pine. I believe there is a species of pine in New Zealand also called Red Pine.

Poplar is not anything like pine,it's a deciduous tree.

Comment

Aye?? There you go. We use Scandinavian red pine, its quite cheap and lasts ages if maintained properly, you guys get much of it out in the states? We've taken out case and sash windows that are over 100 years old and they're made from red pine and even in the height of summer there's dampness in the air over here, well worth looking into as a cost effective material or if you really want to go fancy use teak,
                          be ruined using it, but your windows will still be together when the house falls down.
                          Last edited by scottish joiner; 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

My Sherwin Williams rep. is concerned hie paint will not adhere to the preservative primer. What brand did you successfully paint over your preservative with?(Thanks for the response)

Comment

Jolten is a good brand to go with or sikkens.

Comment

Working...
                              X