Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Cantilevered shower bench?

We are creating a new walk in Master Shower for a client, and they are considering a cantilevered stone (or Tile) bench.

If we cantilever it, how is it supported?

Here are the links that she provided.

Most likely choice for her:
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/59460/_t...om-other-metro

Not so likely choice:
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/1226046/...-san-francisco

More like what I am used to doing:
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/89105/_t...-san-francisco

Default Re: Cantilevered shower bench?

Something like this works for example.
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

Ditto what MarkMc said. I use the Better Bench exclusively. I've covered it with tile or with granite slabs.

Better Bench is the ticket for that cantilever look. Have your stone fabricator make a custom piece and you're done. This one was done with SileStone along with a custom niche. IMG_0699.JPG
    Gary

I like the "not so likely" choice the best myself, and it's really easy.

Giving away secrets....the answer is a simple piece of angle steel (quantity as req'd) bolted to the studs before tile backer and tile. The thickness of the angle is covered by the build-up of the seat.
    Portland Renovations, Inc.
    www.portlandrenovations.com

We have used both the corner and the rectangular better bench many times since we discovered them.

You can use the small triangular one as a support under the rectangle on long spans or open ended applications.

Another thing that we do is put blocking in the walls and use stainless fasteners to attach the bench.

Lettus, I have seen the better bench but never used it. The last couple benches I did, I had my welder buddy get me some 1/4" SS. I have covered my last two benches with a solid surface material (either stone or marble). So I worked out my tile work and set the ss plate down on top of the edge of tile and then covered with with the stone. I did one in my master shower and it has been there 5 years with no problem. I did anchor it to the wall since it is supported by the tiles themselves. Make sense? If not i can shoot u a pic.
    Nate Dizzy you know who izzy

Mostellerconstructiononline.com

Thanks Y'all. My Client is still trying to decide what she wants, but it's good to know about the better bench.

If the shape they choose does not match with a Better Bench, we just have our stainless guys fabricate the piece we need. WE put a flange or angle at the wall and bolt it in as needed. We try to keep it inside the durock, on top of the water proof membrane, and then waterproof again over the flange.

Depending on the size and stone you might also get the stone fabricator to set in the required steel and but angles at the wall to support it.

Never had a problem