Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

jacuzzi style bathtubs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacuzzi style bathtubs

I have a customer who contacted me to talk to them about a remodel of their master bathroom. They currently have a oversize Jacuzzi bathtub that they want to remove and replace. It has not worked in several years and the cost of a new pump and installation they do not feel is worth it.
    The questions I have is if one brand is better than another?

How easy is installation and other options that you feel are important to look for? I understand that some have heaters built into them.

Do your customers really use them and is it a good thing to install? In my 22 years in buisiness I have istalled maybe a dozen of the things. When I go back to some houses and if I ask I almost always get the same answer-we rarely use the thing, maybe once a year. If that is typical it seems like a waste of money and effort. My customers just do not seem to be the bathtub soaking type. Are they something that you are still recommending that folks install or is it some hype that has gone the way of the buggy whip? Is it a big selling point that a $500.000 house has one or not for when they go to sell sometime in the future?

Re: jacuzzi style bathtubs

Beez

Yes, these air jetted tubs are a requirement in new homes, and you are also correct that generally they are seldom used. But you would not think about building a new house with a tub, although my wife and I did for ourselves.

As to brand, we use a lot of tubs made by Bain, they are fairly high quality. They are not the old style side-jetted tubs, the holes are smaller and in the bottom of the tub. I've never used one but sounds exciting to me :)

http://www.bainultra.com/
    ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

I agree with Allan. We use Bain products. The air baths are very nice and are much more sanitary than the jetted tubs. Do you have a Ferguson dealership in your area or other good plumbing showroom? They probably have one on display. If we do a nice master bath, I usually suggest replacing the old jetted tub with an airbath. We've also used www.maax.com You can look at more interesting installations like undermount so there is a nice flat ledge around the tub.

Comment

You also need to upsize the hot water tank, or instruct the owners to crank up the heat an hour or so before they want to use the tub. Otherwise the water turns cold before the tub gets filled.

If I were doing it in new construction, I'd put the whole Master Bath on its own on-demand water heater. Unlimited hot water and no delay.

Comment

My wife uses her jetted whirlpool every night. When I do the master bath I will install an air unit or a combo unit.

I have used the Pearl line from Maax that Stacey linked, the National Fiberglass line, American Standard and Kohler. I choose to fit the budget. The one for our bath will most likely be the combo Pearl.

Be aware some require 220 volt 15 or 20 amps or 2-20 amp 110 volt services.

As NW mentioned check the water heater, hopefully seeing as they have a jetted tub already it will be adequate.

Tom
          http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Yes, in a 500K house you would want something more than a plain tub or shower. At least in my area you do.

As a retrofit for actual use, I would be hesitant to make the call. Only the client knows (maybe)if they'll use it or not, and that may not matter. I have a 2-person unit in my house that I only use a few times a year but I have no intention of getting rid of it.

Comment

I have often been successful at talking people building new homes or doing bathroom additions out of jetted tubs. Everyone thinks you need them but nobody uses them.

Comment

Ya, I think its kinda silly to keep wasting money on these things. I haven't been putting them in my own personal houses last couple times because they never get used. And if they don't get used often enough they really only have downsides. Those pipes, and jets just seem kinds unsanitary and impossible to keep clean without running the jets, and who is gonna do that. If you've evr turned on those jets after they've been sitting for any length of time you probably know what I'm talking about.

If its a high end spec, sure, it may be a good idea to put one in, but if not, I don't see any reason to continue installing them just because.

Just my 2 cents
                Michael

Comment

IMHO - It's a status symbol that everyone thinks they want but few people actually utilize.

That being said, I always spec the inline heater to keep the water up to temp during an extended soak.
                  Joe Adams
                  Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
                  Houston, Texas

Comment

I am seeing all sides of the coin. I pretty much think it is more of a status symbol, but at the same time, if you don't have it offered as an option in a house it could be a detriment.

I do think I worry sometimes too much about if the customer is going to use something or how it might be better to do certain things. I never really argue one way or another with them but seems that how they spend their money does sometimes concerm me more than it should. My issue with the tubs is Tom is the first guy who I have heard of that has someone in the family that usese the thing all the time. Most of my past customers use it a few times a year and just makes me wonder about it's value. I guess it is expected these days but some stuff I just have to wonder about.
                    On the other hand, I have some tools in my possession that I only use a few times a year but that did not stop me from buying them. Kind of the same thing as their buying the tubs, for that occasional use.

Comment

Not only does she use the one in the master bath, but once a week she'll use the one in the second floor bath. Now that the kids are gone it is the only time it gets used. Strange thing is, I'm still the one who has to clean the room every week.

One thing she does not like about the second floor unit is, it is a newer, deeper model. With her back issues she finds it harder to get in and out of.

Tom

Comment

We have a Kohler that is just fine - I haven't experienced any nastiness coming out of the jets after we haven't used it for awhile. I second the idea that you should get an inline heater, the water sure cools off quickly and doesn't allow for an extended soak.

I actually use ours frequently to loosen up my back before stretching or to relax a bit when I get home...it's not like I light a candle or anything.

Ours is a five-foot tub, I wish it were bigger, but you can only do so much with an 1800 SF house. Beezo, if your client has the room, I'd push them toward a slightly larger tub.

Adam
                        www.bluedivideinc.com

Comment

There are some tubs that have a water level sensor, once the draining water gets below a certain level the tub cycles on to clean the jets.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X