Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bad drywall job??

We are building a new house. We recently had all of the drywall done. We chose the highest bid from the company that we were told were very good. We did this because we wanted a good job and were willing to pay for it. We chose smooth finish thru out for walls and ceilings. Now that we have started painting we are noticing that most all of the inside corners have sunk back and also many places along the wall/ceiling lines have done the same thing. It looks like they did not put enough product in or sanded too much out. So when you are painting, you can't do a straight line. It looks really bad, the shadows that the sunken areas have created in the corners look terrible, looks like you missed them when you painted. The whole job was supposed to be smooth finish and primed. The job is pretty smooth in places but rough in others and it seems they may have sanded thru the primer because on the rough areas no matter how much paint you put on them, they still look different from the smooth areas. We have talked to the drywall guys and they give us the impression that this is OK and are seeming reluctant to fix these latest problems. They have already fixed several cracks that have occurred already. Our last house was 154 years old and all of the real original plaster is so much better, straighter and more level than this new drywall. My question is: Are we being too picky? Is this what new drywall is supposed to look like? If not, what can we do or who can we call to come and look at this objectively and advise us where to go from here?
    Last edited by judyb7; 10-17-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Default Re: bad drywall job??

Do you have any pictures?

I will take some pictures and post. Thanks.

I don't need any pictures.

If it's not perfect, make them fix it. If it's nothing more than simple inside corners in walls or wall to ceiling joints, that's drywall 101.

Some drywall contractors are simply too lazy to do the job right. I used a guy once...once, who did a lousy job and kept asking me if he was done when he was at the job staring at all of my pencil markings on the wall.

My response was "I don't know, are you?"

Myron or some of the other guys may chime in....good luck.
    Portland Renovations, Inc.
    www.portlandrenovations.com

I am with the other guys. Have them fix it. If they are reluctant make sure someone important from the company and the lead guy on the job comes out and stands there and sees what you are talking about. See if that helps.

You got any leverage left in the game as in the last 10% that you are holding back until you are satisfied?

Are you doing the painting or have it hired out?
    As far as some smooth and some rough areas on the walls you need to be careful and make sure that none of the issues are how you are painting. I have seen jobs where someone gets tired, takes a break, stops for some reason and when they restart it can leave an obvouis paint texture difference. I was at a job years ago where the homeowners would take a break and leave the roller leaning against the new drywall. I am not talking about the handle end but the fuzzy roller cover. They could not understand why it would not smooth out after it had been sitting there for half an hour.

Here is a good source for scopes of work or specifications.

http://www.usg.com/resource-center/g...-handbook.html
    ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

Here are some photos of the worst corners and a wall to ceiling indented line. Did hear the guy is coming on Friday to redo one corner and see if it will satisfy us. Still seems to think this is OK. Thanks for the responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We have been doing the painting so far. We have done alot of painting. In here we have been using new rollers for each coat, but even that doesn't seem to help. We bought Pittsburg paint at $30 to $40 a gallon and were told by the drywaller that it is not good paint.

it looks like sub par quality. The difference in texture from roller to brush in the corners probably isn't helping but ultimately the drywall contractor did a poor job. It looks like maybe the tape bubbled out. Can you push in some areas like the tape in the corner is hollow? It doesn't sound like your guy is going to fix it. Have a different contractor come out and take a look. Offer him $50 for a consultation. If you don't know of any try calling a local supply house and ask for a reference. I assume the contractor that did the work has been paid in full and it doesn't seem like he is going to fix it so you can try and threaten to take him to court, take him to court or just pay a different guy to come repair the work. I know the last option doesn't sound right but if its cheap enough save yourself some time and headaches and just chalk it up to a lesson paid for. Don't keep buying paint and rollers because if it doesnt look good after the first coat it isn't going to look any better after 50.
    Oh and by the way, this site is for professionals only. Apparently a few of us are in a good mood. Or tired of looking at the bull$!@* on america thread.
    Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

It's not bad, it's terrible.

I agree, it is terrible. I talked to him this morning, he came over to mud some of the corners. He thought maybe the studs were not straight or maybe something like that. Anyway it looks like he is going to fix at least some of the problems. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

You need to fire the painter as well.

A good painter would never start painting when the drywall is bad. And the paint is worse than the drywall. Looks gross. When the drywall is fixed, do yourself a favor and hire a good painter.

Quote Originally Posted by judyb7 View Post
    I agree, it is terrible. I talked to him this morning, he came over to mud some of the corners. He thought maybe the studs were not straight or maybe something like that. Anyway it looks like he is going to fix at least some of the problems. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
    Throwing more mud at it probably isn't going to fix it. You need a new guy. All this guy has done is blame the paint, the studs, the old house, the good price he gave you, ect..
    Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

I don't usually like to get involved with threads started by homeowners, but I felt compelled to say something...

The pictures are helpful in looking at the problem, but much more is needed. The ceiling line issues could very well be caused by poor framing. Granted he could have floated the wall with an extra 1/4" of mud, but its not necessarily his job to fix framing issues. A really good taper would try, but IMO its not part of the deal. Especially if its an issue throughout. And the blistered corners. It can't really be seen from pictures, and its hard to tell if I wasn't there from the start, but those could have possibly been caused by poor framing as well. If the corners weren't attached properly, the studs could have dried and moved independently causing the paper in the corners to blister. Even if they were attached properly, its not unheard of for the studs to arc or bow as they dry out and pull away from the wall. If that happens and the drywall pulls with them, the corner tape has to blister. I personally can't think its reasonable to believe the highest priced drywall contractor would have taped his corners like that. I've never seen any taper walk away from anything that looked like that, and I would seriously doubt its his fault.

I could be wrong, but I think you shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions, especially based on a few pictures that don't really tell the whole story.
    Michael

Just think of your first house as "practice" and look forward to how much easier the next house will be with what you learned from the first one.
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy