Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Crown

Default Big Crown

Hey guys,
    Throughout the last 5 years or so, I have installed larger and larger crown much more frequently. The crown is also getting thinner and increasingly more detailed. Do you guys still take the time to cope the big stuff? I find that the joints do not look nearly as good as a smaller coped piece. The MDF is thin and hard to get a clean cut on with out poking through to the visible side.

Default Re: Big Crown

I've never coped MDF crown for that very reason- the edge just wont stay together all that well. I'm in So Cal so not huge MC changes thru out the year. I do glue it though- CA glue on certain aplications and splices and Titebond Liquid Hide Glue on inside and outside miters- it's got plenty of open time so i can go back to my corners and fine tune them before the glue starts to grab and set up.
    I just did 2,000 l.f. of 6.5" with as much detail as possible to put on a crown profile and it painted out great.

I've never had a call back because of open miters since this stuff came out- so it works for me.

M Smith

Just curious Smitty but if and when you get a call back to that job, or one similar, re - a miter opening. How would you fix it? Re-do the entire piece? Bang in a couple of more nails? Caulk it?
    Just curious.

roger

Roger,

we're talking about paint grade mdf here. My joints are always "light tight" so if anything there MIGHT be a slight gap which would require some white painter's caulk and a little clear water borne poly to lock it in so it won't attract dirt like a magnet. Even though i've never had a call back doesm't mean it hasn't happened ??? if it ever has the client prob. thought it was a painter thing and called him.

M Smith

Thanks Smitty. What on earth is 'water borne poly'? I've got a few guesses but.........

Roger

"water borne poly" = any water based clear finish - without any amber tone added to mimick an oil finish. A small artist brush would work great for the most concise control and placement.

M Smith

Thanks for the input. I will likely try the liquid hide glue on the next project. We use CA glue on most outside corners. Love that stuff. On some super small rooms, we glue all 4 pieces together on the floor, then hoist it up.