Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default wallpaper on ceilings

I have a customer that wants to patch and paint her ceilings. They have been painted before several times but there are a couple of spots that have damage and the paper is damaged. They would like some patching done but I am concerned about using something like joint cement for fear of making the glue come loose and more paper being damaged. Kind of a never ending process.

My thought was to cut out the damaged areas, seal up the edges with some oil base primer, then some quick dry joint cement to feather in the edges. Hope it smooths out and blends in.

Other thoughts or suggestions on what to try?

Default Re: wallpaper on ceilings

You're not making sense. Is there wallpaper on it now? What's damaged? The wallpaper, the drywall or both? What's "joint cement"? You say she wants to paint. Paint what? The wallpaper?

Gotta give us a better description.

I think Beez means all purpose joint compound / or hot mud after cutting out the previously painted wp then ob primer primer sealer.

I would do the same. I would be concerned about the edges of the "spots" you say showing up soon after repair. I'd tape with fiberglass tape 2" or 6". I'd sleep better.

I'm looking to up my game a bit and getting a 36" roll of the appropriate Fibafuse fabric for patching. Myron did a vid awhile back and its on the mfg website too I think. Fabric avail online.

I think this is the latest - greatest. Different structure on the 2 fabrics.
    http://www.amazon.com/FibaTape-FDW84.../dp/B008RGX128

Prev generation
    http://www.amazon.com/FibaTape-FDW68...7900099&sr=1-7

75 ft rolls at Amazon for 1/2 the cost
    Last edited by Happy Home; 09-17-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

wallpaper on the ceiling now. Probably some of the original paper or shortly after the house was built 80 years ago. Plaster ceilings.

Joint cement is drywall mud. What is damaged is the paper that I can see. There are lumps, bumps, cracks showing thru the paper, some water damage that has loosened the glue. Ceilings are plaster.

I would't dream of trying to fix painted wallpaper. Can't see more than about a 1% chance of it turning out well.

Quote Originally Posted by dgbldr View Post
    I would't dream of trying to fix painted wallpaper. Can't see more than about a 1% chance of it turning out well.
    I'm with you - WP covering is a pain. Might just recover with a 1/4" sheet of something.

Otherwise - just offer a patch w/ mud with no guarantees.
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Reminds me of my old 1911 Craftsman. On the walls, about 5 layers of wallpaper and 5 layers of paint. All was fine until a particularly hot and humid week in LA. The original glue layer had finally had it, after about 90 years and the top 1/3 of the mess just peeled down off the original plaster surface.

Old houses are like that. You wake up on any given morning and they announce to you what your next project is going to have to be

Quote Originally Posted by NW Architect View Post

Old houses are like that. You wake up on any given morning and they announce to you what your next project is going to have to be
    Isn't that the truth - well stated... :)
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

well a thread that told me just about what I expected. Did not get the job so no worries about my trying to fix it and hoping for the best.
    One thing that I really have to admire and wonder about is how the heck did they get the wallpaper up there to begin with. Everytime I have tried to wallpaper anything I feel like I am one of the 3 stooges or somedays all three rolled into me. I have had the stuff fall down on me on a wall, cannot imagine what it would be like to try it on a ceiling.