Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

New trailer, new ideas.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New trailer, new ideas.

I've purchased a Cargo Mate 7x14 tandem with ramp and extra interior height of 6'6".

I have been thinking about making it very similar to Ron Paulk's mobile wood shop with storage solutions. However it will be for storage and not for shop use. I would like some additional ideas from those who have posted on here. I've taken a few ideas off of ContractorTalk.com and Google Images as well.

I have a metal brake and have thought about making a small garage for the mitre saw stand to slide behind and share room with the Paulk Ultimate WorkBenches I will be building and instead of Viewtainers I would have a brake in that location.

I cannot wait to get this new trailer fitted out. Thanks for your input.
    "A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong through good sense." Proverbs 24:3

Re: New trailer, new ideas.

There is a picture on Google where a contractor has taken the near useless side door and turned it into a closet for a ULine Screw Bin area. The side door opens and then all the fasteners are available to be pulled off of the storage rack from the outside. The idea seems like a good one. In my last 6x10 I had covered the side door with shelving units on the inside. This Uline Bin seems like a great idea.
    "A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong through good sense." Proverbs 24:3

Comment

How about this one Bill................. :-)

Phil
      Attached Files
      It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Where do you find this stuff Phil? LOL

Bill T not BRThomas

Comment

Phil,
          LOL!!! I like that trailer - ingenious. If I had one of those I'm sure I could have made more money over these last few weeks with the very hot days. Most of the subs in the area would have been stopping by for a cold one.

Don
          I started out with nothing. I still have most of it left.

Comment

Great idea but it might not improve job site productivity. ;-)

Comment

Phil, that person needs to get to a meeting, asap.

Dont make anything permanent as your needs will change as you business grows. I pocket holed shelves to the floor with longer pocket hole screws, worked great so far, Eric

Comment

That looks like it should be behind my 4x4 on the beach. What a sweet little rig. All I would need is Jimmy Buffet playing in the lounge pull out.

Comment

I guess I would call that a rig for the dedicated mixologist, LOL.

I can't entertain the use of a trailer, not enough room in the driveway and not enough room around a lot of the lake homes I work on.

Phil
                  It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

I also used the side door for quick access to storage.I just built a cabinet a couple inches bigger than the door opening and attached it( facing out )to the walls with corner brackets.Then I ran a vertical center divider from floor to ceiling of the cabinet and put adjustable shelving on both sides of the divider.I placed the divider just far enough offcenter so I could use one side for systainers if I want to.I store my nail guns,sanders,radio,multimaster and other small power tools in the cabinet.Its pretty nice to open the door and have my most used tools there right in my grill ready to be taken.The rest of the shelving in my trailer is 1/4 plywood on 3/4x1-1/2"frames with 1x4 corner posts.I used corner brackets and screws to attach these to the walls.They are very light weight and easily strong enough for carpentry equipment.I can unscrew the shelving and have my trailer empty and ready to haul furniture in under 20 min.
                    Jeff Jackson

Comment

How about using e-track to hook base cabinets to the sidewalls?

I have not done it yet but am thinking about it. I have a trailer I got to move across the country with and need to configure it for other uses.

If an e-track were just below top of base cabinet height, then you could have storage cabinets and/or a workbench top that you could unhook from the wall and take into the jobsite. That would free up the trailer for hauling bigger items when needed.

Then also, you could have camper style cabinets that could be hooked to the wall and then use the same trailer for a camping trailer. I have a 6' stainless steel restaurant countertop with built in sink that I am thinking of doing that with. Build a base cabinet for it. It would be a garage kitchen counter most of the time. But when you want to go camping, get the construction cabinets out of the trailer. Put the camping ones in, and off you go.

It's a "mulling it over project" for me--I don't have the details worked out yet of just which attaching hook for e track you would use to make the cabinets be able to hook into the e track.

Ward
                      Last edited by squarelev; 07-28-2012, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X