Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

 
 
 
 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    93

    Default iPad 3 case recommendations

    What's the best case for an iPad for a contractor who will be using the device as a selling/presentation tool as well as using it on the job site and in the shop?
    Crown Molding by Spectacular Trim
    www.spectaculartrim.com
    architectural woodworking | custom cabinetry | mantels
    CSLB# 971338

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    785

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Hi,
    I do not know if it is the best, but I have Logicitech combination case and keyboard in one. It has a magnetic hinge that connects to the iPad and when closed it looks like the back of the iPad made of aluminum. There is a slot that the iPad fits into to hold it at about a 45 degree angle when you are using the keyboard. It was about $99 at Best Buy. It uses Bluetooth to connect to the iPad.

    I think you can buy and try it. If after 14 days you do not like it you can return it.
    What I like is that I have the whole screen.

    The only down side I have found is one CAD program does not like the Bluetooth being on when I use the keyboard.
    Thanks
    Rich

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westchester,NY
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Otter box, it's a little pricey ($90), but worth it. My understanding is that apple will not honor an warranty if the iPad or phones are not in "otter "cases.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    The otterbox case is $50 on amazon. Rumors are they are coming out with a newer smaller ipad. If they do and it's a replacement for the ipad 3, watch for closeouts because the ipad 3 cases will be very cheap. I bought the ipad 1 otterbox for $5 with free shipping from the at&t store because the ipad 2 had just come out.


    I have the older ipad but the otterbox cases are all similar for ipad's, iphone, droids, etc. The otterbox defender is a great case in general but especially for protection. I've dropped it a few times and it takes it no problem. Another to look at is Griffen but that is not as good as otterbox, not close to me. The otterbox has soft silicone and hard plastic. Look at the pic's on amazon of the otterbox. There is a lid that you can use to hold the ipad upright. That lid can clip on the back when you are using the ipad, or for transport the lid clips on the front to protect the screen. I think best buy stocks them so you could stop by and see them in person.

    I would be wary of using the ipad a lot on the job site or shop, the dust would be the killer there. But for traveling around, presentations, etc. the otterbox would be great. It does ad bulk to the small device but that bulk is what gives you the protection so to me the trade off is well worth it.

    http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defen...ds=ipad+3+case

    Oh yeah, get the app deer hunter reloaded to kill a little time here and there. It was free recently, a pretty good hunting game.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    Otter box, it's a little pricey ($90), but worth it. My understanding is that apple will not honor an warranty if the iPad or phones are not in "otter "cases.
    Apples warranty does not require any type of case to be used to have the warranty honored.

    http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/ipadwarranty.html

    Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

    Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    My favorite iPhone case is Lifeproof.

    If you can holdout the iPad case is soon to be released.

    Size and waterproof is what makes this my favorite.

    http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/ipad-2

    Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

    Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
    My favorite iPhone case is Lifeproof.

    If you can holdout the iPad case is soon to be released.

    Size and waterproof is what makes this my favorite.

    http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/ipad-2

    Tom
    I bet that case will be around $120. I think it would make more sense for a phone, the waterproof shouldn't be much of an issue with an ipad.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Danbury area of western CT
    Posts
    4,440

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
    The otterbox case is $50 on amazon. Rumors are they are coming out with a newer smaller ipad. If they do and it's a replacement for the ipad 3, watch for closeouts because the ipad 3 cases will be very cheap. I bought the ipad 1 otterbox for $5 with free shipping from the at&t store because the ipad 2 had just come out.

    I have the older ipad but the otterbox cases are all similar for ipad's, iphone, droids, etc. The otterbox defender is a great case in general but especially for protection. I've dropped it a few times and it takes it no problem. Another to look at is Griffen but that is not as good as otterbox, not close to me. The otterbox has soft silicone and hard plastic. Look at the pic's on amazon of the otterbox. There is a lid that you can use to hold the ipad upright. That lid can clip on the back when you are using the ipad, or for transport the lid clips on the front to protect the screen. I think best buy stocks them so you could stop by and see them in person.

    I would be wary of using the ipad a lot on the job site or shop, the dust would be the killer there. But for traveling around, presentations, etc. the otterbox would be great. It does ad bulk to the small device but that bulk is what gives you the protection so to me the trade off is well worth it.

    http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defen...ds=ipad+3+case

    Oh yeah, get the app deer hunter reloaded to kill a little time here and there. It was free recently, a pretty good hunting game.
    Hoover,


    According to an article which I believe to be salient, the "new" sized iPad will be in addition to the already existing unit. Just another pony in the stable. The current iPad isn't going anywhere. Although I just bought an iPad2 silicone jacket cover for $2 at the local close-out store. I just cut an opening for the top power button.

    Phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
    I bet that case will be around $120. I think it would make more sense for a phone, the waterproof shouldn't be much of an issue with an ipad.
    I lost a phone to a pop up thunder storm. I use my iPad as a large screen calculator, it can get wet just as easily as my iPhone.

    Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

    Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by philthegreek View Post
    Hoover,


    According to an article which I believe to be salient, the "new" sized iPad will be in addition to the already existing unit. Just another pony in the stable. The current iPad isn't going anywhere. Although I just bought an iPad2 silicone jacket cover for $2 at the local close-out store. I just cut an opening for the top power button.

    Phil
    I guess the newer ipad this fall will be smaller than the ipad 1,2, 3. I don't see the point in that, the existing ones are not too large, they are a good size. A smaller one will mean you zoom in more often. They shouldn't worry about the size.

    The silicone cases are ok, the price is right most of the time. The otterbox is excellent but I wouldn't have paid anywhere near $80 which it was at the time they closed it out for $5.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Katonah, NY
    Posts
    1,601

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Last I knew LifeProof hadn't yet released their iPad case yet but I have heard good things about their iPhone cases and will probably pick up this one sooner or later for my iPhone to replace the case I have now.

    As for the iPad here's what I did back in March. While I could or should have bought a OtterBox iPad 2 Defender Case (which at the time was selling at the list price of $89) I bought essentially the same case only as the OtterBox Defender Series for Original iPad for $13.95 (now $19.97) and then modified the case cutting and drilling an opening for the camera and the different location of the volume button on my iPad2.

    Then with the $75± I saved on the basic case I also bought the OtterBox iPad Utility Series Latch for $31.59 which really proved to be a great choice providing me with a carrying strap that with the strap around my neck and the bottom of the iPad propped against my belly allowed me to type data in with two hands while standing up. I know of eight other contractors and one little league baseball coach who have also now bought that OtterBox iPad Utility Series Latch after seeing me use it with my iPad. The other clips and straps that are part of it too have also made it easy to setup or hangup in places where I needed it or attach it to my tool belt too.

    So with tax my two part setup ended up costing me just $47.87 vs. $89 for an OtterBox iPad 2 Defender Case alone.

    Here's a video about the OtterBox iPad Utility Series Latch that illustrate how it works:

    The OtterBox Utility Series Latch - YouTube

  12. #12

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    GGMM iPad 3 genuine leather case could be the best solution for the protection as well as the fashion stylish,which keep in line with the iPad 3's pattern,seems the born skin of iPad 3 as you could see GGMM case's delicate workmanship here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kBFEKFw78o

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lake Placid, NY
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    A contractor making presentations to clients ought to have a wood case.

    There are several, but here is one I like. http://tinyurl.com/brvsjys

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    I bought the Griffin survivor case for ~$35 on amazon and I'm happy with it. It has a heavy duty screen protector built in and adds some nice protection as well as it is more grip able. I think it's a great compromise between the simple folio cases that don't protect and the totally waterproof one which is overkill for what I am using mine for.
    Crown Molding by Spectacular Trim
    www.spectaculartrim.com
    architectural woodworking | custom cabinetry | mantels
    CSLB# 971338

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    glastonbury ct
    Posts
    362

    Default Re: iPad 3 case recommendations

    Mophie Juice Pack $100 at Verizon. It gives you an additional 8 hrs of run time added to your regular battery. If you have ever held a Makita Impact and said, Wow!, this is comfortable, then you will love the feel of this phone in your hand. Seals it up pretty good from dust. I got some clear plastic to put on it. You basically cant run out of battery in a work day. Looks like it could take a fall, Eric

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts