Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default cement burn on skin

Anybody have a good remedy for cement burns on the knees? This happened not by scraping on hard concrete, but with wet cement. Thanks.
    "I would remind you that extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also, that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
    --Barry Goldwater AD 1964

Default Re: cement burn on skin

I never had this problem because I'm not a liberal.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Looks like someone found their puppy dog!
    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
    ~ Meriwether Lewis

Try either a paste made from Baking soda and water or Windex spray. Sounds crazy, I know, but they both work.
    Chuck Kiser
    Knollwood Construction Company
    Palos Park, IL 60464

Knollwood Construction
    Kitchen Remodeling Chicago
    Bathroom Remodeling Chicago
    Building Repairs Chicago

It might be too late but vinegar (an acid) will neutralize the lime (a base). We used to keep it on hand when I was a construction medic. Now that you're burned, treat it like a burn. Not much you can do other than that I believe.

Howdy keep a real close eye on it as infection very common. Might have to get the skin removed. There is a suave invented in world war two that seals out the air an greatly reduced the pain.

I was pouring a 7" patio slab several years ago for a hot tub and helper didnt show skirting the mud got my knees in only for a couple minutes and washed off but burned worse had rubber boots on an some got down about an inch in the back didn't even feel it and got badly burnt. About a month later back to work. Thank goodness it didn't destroy my alkalies tendons. Man when the nerve ending grew back painful... Hip waders for me from now on.

I've had good luck using aloe vera on burns. Another thing you might try is Tea tree oil...
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy

Silvadene to prevent infection.

Keep the area very clean.

Cool compresses for comfort.

Cut away any dead and dyeing skin. Hard to do on ones self but..............

This could take months to heel. I have had to deal with three major burns, each one was a least a six month process.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
    Silvadene to prevent infection....
    I don't know about others but I hate using stuff that have side effects that are worse than the original problem.

SILVADENE TOP SIDE EFFECTS
    Pain, burning, or itching of the treated skin may occur. Skin and mucous membranes (such as the gums) may become blue/gray in color. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
    Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
    Tell your doctor immediately if any of these rare but serious side effects occur: signs of infection (such as fever, chills, persistent sore throat), easy bruising/bleeding, signs of anemia (such as unusual tiredness/weakness, rapid breathing, fast heartbeat), change in the amount of urine, pink/bloody urine, signs of liver problems (such as stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea, vomiting, dark urine, yellowing eyes/skin), mental/mood changes.
    A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
    This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

from:http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4910...=Silvadene+Top
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy

I have never experienced any of that.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

As was said before keep an eye out for infection and take it very seriously, about 20 years ago I almost lost my toes to infection from concrete burns. I never realized how severe a chemical burn could be, my mild mannered family doctor was yelling at me in the emergency room for letting the burns get infected.
    Take care,
    Dan

Tax cuts should fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    It might be too late but vinegar (an acid) will neutralize the lime (a base). We used to keep it on hand when I was a construction medic. Now that you're burned, treat it like a burn. Not much you can do other than that I believe.
    I was wondering if vinegar would still do any good, a day or two later. It does give me temporary relief when I soak with water and vinegar in the tub. I've tried aloe vera, but the pain is quite intense for about 20 minutes when I put it on. Right now it feels like a bad sunburn. I think about all I can do now is keep it clean and just suffer the consequences.
    "I would remind you that extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also, that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Quote Originally Posted by FesFool View Post
    As was said before keep an eye out for infection and take it very seriously, about 20 years ago I almost lost my toes to infection from concrete burns. I never realized how severe a chemical burn could be, my mild mannered family doctor was yelling at me in the emergency room for letting the burns get infected.
    Take care,
    Dan
    What did your doc say you should have done?

Quote Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
    Silvadene to prevent infection.

Keep the area very clean.

Cool compresses for comfort.

Cut away any dead and dyeing skin. Hard to do on ones self but..............

This could take months to heel. I have had to deal with three major burns, each one was a least a six month process.

Tom
    Six months, eh! I was hoping it wouldn't be more than 5 or 6 days.