Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Hilti vs. Milwaukee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilti vs. Milwaukee

Hi Guys,

Interested in getting some feedback on cordless tools (18V). I currently have the Makita 18V line, but am fed up with the batteries. I have been through 10 batteries so far this year, some of them dying after less than 40 charge cycles. Makita has been pretty good about replacing them under warranty, but its just not worth the hassle anymore. I'm sure I am partly to blame for the short battery life, but this has only started happening in the past year and a half (had the tools since they came out in 2006). So I am beginning to wonder if Makita's battery quality has slipped. My original batteries from 2006 are still going strong. Also, Makita was one of the first to release Li-on tools and they have not updated their technology, so now it is getting a bit old.

So, I am looking for something that is COMMERCIAL grade. Festool is nice, but I doubt it would stand up to the abuse. I swore never to by a Dewalt tool (bad ergonomics and nasty plastic) and I'm done with Makita, so that only leaves Milwaukee and Hilti. I briefly considered Metabo, but after having ALL of my Metabo grinders fail and the parts not being serviceable I have ruled them out as well.

I use my tools daily and they are not babied. They get dropped off roofs, used to hammer in nails and generally thrown about. The Makita tools have never failed me in this aspect.

So what is your real world experience with the Hilti and Milwaukee 18V cordless tools? Specifically the impact, drill, skillsaw and sawzall? I realize that none of them have as nice ergonomics as the Makita, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Re: Hilti vs. Milwaukee

Everything I've read about batteries indicates heat is the main killer.

I know lot's of guys that charge their batts in the sun, or use them until they're hot and charge immediately, or whatever.

Use them until they don't perform like you know they will and then take them off. Don't use them till they die. Have enough that you can let one cool off a bit before you charge it. Don't set or store your batteries/tools in the hot sun and get your charger in the shade before you start charging your batts.

I have a ton of Mak 18 volt batts and they've all seemed to hold up nicely - in the last four years, only had maybe 2 die on me.

But who knows, maybe I'm due for a bunch failing soon? I also use quite a few of the 1.5amp batts - chiseled the little tab off the tools that keep the 1.5 batts from fitting. I do make sure that for those batts I don't work them as hard as the 3.0's.

Most important thing to me in a cordless kit is versatility. Hilti/Metabo/Festool all have so few tools that it's not worth buying into their kits unless you have a single use type job.

I've been pretty happy with my Mak kit...

JT
    Julian Tracy
    Tracy Renovation By Design, Inc.
    www.RenovationByDesignInc.com

Comment

I have been very satisfied with my Milwaukee M18 set. I did have one battery that was bad from new, and it was replaced under warranty. That being said, I like the feel of the Hilti's better. Don't know much about the batteries, though. I still think I would give them a shot.

I'm wondering if your problem is not so much with the batteries as with the charger. It could be defective, sending your batteries to an early grave. I haven't heard to many bad things about Makita batteries compared to others, leading me to believe this might be the cause.

As Julian mentioned, the Makita has pretty much the best tool lineup of the bunch.

Not a big fan of cordless reciprocating saws, though. Sometimes a tool just needs a cord. I use my cordless Milwaukee Sawzall only rarely. The battery drains too fast. I think I use mine mostly just for pruning branches around the house.

Comment

Real world testing how about a slide 20 feet on the roof to a 40' fall onto cement, my helper climbed back up with the impact and we finished the job. It went strong for 4 more years before it went to tool heaven! So to buy more 18v Millwaukee was a no brainer for me.
        Tom D.

more tools please.

Comment

I've been really pleased with my M18 tools. I have had the impact and drill since late 2008.
          I added the circular saw later. I have 3 batteries and have had no battery issues at all. If you put a battery on the charger and it is too hot, the charger will not charge it until it cools. The new brushless stuff looks really nice. I tried the drill and it feels more powerful than mine. I also have the M12 drill and it is great also. No complaints with Milwaukee at all.
          I did have one warranty issue ( bad switch)with my impact, repaired free of charge no questions asked.
          A person that works with his hands is a laborer.
          A person that works with his hands and his head is a tradesman.
          A person that works with his hands, his head, and his heart is a craftsman

Comment

I gave a "fuel" Millwaukee brushless drill a run today replacing doors I only

did 5 but I bored all the locksets and a 4" hole in pvc and still shows 3/4 charge. Feels faster and stronger than my regular 18volt.
            Tom D.

more tools please.

Comment

I am sure milwaukee is fine but I dought an up grade from makita . Hilti more then likely is .But most important Go brushless .
              They use less battery ,run smoother with a bit more power . The price difference is not so big when you factor in extended battery life and less time waisted changing batteries .

Comment

The hilti did real well in a review awhile back.
                But most important go brushless .The increase in price is not so big when you consider the increased battery life and less time waisted changing batteries .
                I own the panasonic brushless impact , No complaints .Definitly better then the makita lithium I own .

Comment

I use my tools daily and they are not babied. They get dropped off roofs, used to hammer in nails and generally thrown about. The Makita tools have never failed me in this aspect.

So what is your real world experience with the Hilti and Milwaukee 18V cordless tools? Specifically the impact, drill, skillsaw and sawzall? I realize that none of them have as nice ergonomics as the Makita, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.
                  I bought the Milwaukee impact and I don't care for it. I'd be happy to sell it to you. The Makita is a much better tool. I don't have issues with my Makita tools. IMO the are the best tool company out there. As some one else mentioned maybe it's your charger. I make a call to Makita and see if you figure it out.

Hilti maybe good, how bout Panasonic? Maybe Ridgid is the answer for you. I think they have a good warranty on their batteries.
                  ~Kent~

Comment

I have had many Makita li-ion and they always seem to be working better than the other brands I have bought. The LXDT01 brushless impact is fantastic.

Sounds like heat and dropping tools is causing your problems. You won't find a tool that can take repeated abuse and still work everyday. We try to take care of our tools because they help make our jobs easier and make us all a living.

Comment

I bought a complete Milwaukee [nicad]set when they first came out,still have them ,although batteries are worn out.then I went to Mikita when Lion came out.I still have them actually I have 3 impacts,2 drills,3 chargers.love those impacts.I am unhappy with the circuler saw and recipt saw [no power]So I went back to milwaukee M18 I have no complaints at all with these.If I were buying new I would go with Milwaukee Fuel.

Comment

I have the Milwaukee set 2 drills and an impact. the speed and power has gone down significantly since I bout them a little over 2 years ago. I bought mine at home depot. Something I'll never buy another tool from a big box store again. I've heard from different sources that the tools sold at home depot are not made at the same quality parts.
                        Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by dlhunter View Post
                          I have the Milwaukee set 2 drills and an impact. the speed and power has gone down significantly since I bout them a little over 2 years ago. I bought mine at home depot. Something I'll never buy another tool from a big box store again. I've heard from different sources that the tools sold at home depot are not made at the same quality parts.
                          Just compare model numbers and you'll be fine. It is true that the box stores don't carry the complete lines on the shelves, and sometimes carry the lower end tools in the range, but for the most part you get the same thing. Specialty dealers usually stock the higher end stuff, as they compete on product availability and service rather than price.

If your local HD, Lowes and/or contractor supply has tools with the same item number, it's the same tool. I recommend you look at the manufacturers website to determine which model you want before you start looking at the retailers.

If the model numbers match, they're identical.

Comment

Darrel-you been posting awhile -i suspect you use your stuff .2yrs was tops for me for a set of batteries .they just do not last that long .though hear lithium last longer .but these lithium work so much better so they get used i lot more .

Comment

Originally posted by rustbucket View Post
                              Just compare model numbers and you'll be fine. It is true that the box stores don't carry the complete lines on the shelves, and sometimes carry the lower end tools in the range, but for the most part you get the same thing. Specialty dealers usually stock the higher end stuff, as they compete on product availability and service rather than price.

If your local HD, Lowes and/or contractor supply has tools with the same item number, it's the same tool. I recommend you look at the manufacturers website to determine which model you want before you start looking at the retailers.

If the model numbers match, they're identical.
                              I spoke with the repair tech at one of my local suppliers. He said when he services the tool he can tell if it was purchases through them or Home Depot. The guts are different. For example, a plastic bushing in place of a steel one. Now he also works at a place that is selling the tool so I can't really give his words much credit but...
                              A few years ago I spoke with a delta rep about their faucets. He said the Home Depot ones (same look, same box, same name) were made at a lesser quality. He said when delta released their new models Home Depot would pick the ones they wanted and tell delta to make them cheaper even if the metal guts were replaced with plastic. Now I don't have anything else to support these claims so I'm not going to be easily convinced of their truth but its worth some thought. I have a dewalt impact I got used 3years ago running on 5 year old batteries and a makita I recently picked up slightly used that both blow the Milwaukee I purchased new away so either way I don't see any Milwaukee purchases in my future. I won't be buying any tools from the big box stores anymore. I don't mind paying a few dollars more to support local businesses anyway.
                              Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X