Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default another miter saw thread

Greetings fellow citizens-

I have been using Makita Sliders for the last 8 or 10 years and I would like to add a non-sliding 10" to the mix. Suggestions? Would a $120 Hitachi be fine for shoe and smaller casings and base? Is this a dumb thread? What is the meaning of life?

Does anyone else feel like a dope lugging a big slider around when a lot of jobs can be done without one?

Be well.
    Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Default Re: another miter saw thread

I don't own a slider. I have an old Bosch 3912, single bevel miter saw. It has not let me down. I would like better dust collection but............................

Me being a dope has nothing to do with the saw I use. Ask my wife, she'll tell you all about it.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

The price is not the same but the quality is far beyond. Get the 7-1/2" Makita if you need a small miter saw. It is a great tool and can be used in many more applications than most would believe.

Its funny. Just a few days ago I was using my 10" bosch slider to install shoe molding. The home owner stopped by and asked "why do you need that big of a saw to cut such a little piece of molding?". And yeah I do feel like a dope when a pull out a saw that ways more than the 600' of shoe I'm about to install.
    I'd probably get a non slider if I didn't have 50 other things in front of it on the tools I should have list.
    Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Love my little Hitachi. Does 90% of trim work, 25lbs. cant's beat it. Get a decent blade.
    Nothing simple is ever easy

I have a 10" delta I got on black Friday years ago for $50 great little saw for 90% of my work. Did swap the blade out.
    Tom D.

more tools please.

Josh, here's another vote for the 7 1/2" Makita slider. It's on my short list. Only 28 pounds. If you want a non slider I'd recommend the Dewalt 716. It's a very nice saw but it's a 12" saw. Your Mak 1016 is a 10" and it's not heavy. Why buy another 10"?
    ~Kent~

I have a 10" Delta, a 7.5" Delta Sidekick and a 12" Dewalt slider. I have noticed over the years the only saw coming out of the tool trailer was the Dewalt slider.

Who cares what the customer thinks of your tool, do what makes you happy... even if that is trying to justify buying another saw. lol
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Brobeck View Post
    Josh, here's another vote for the 7 1/2" Makita slider. It's on my short list. Only 28 pounds. If you want a non slider I'd recommend the Dewalt 716. It's a very nice saw but it's a 12" saw. Your Mak 1016 is a 10" and it's not heavy. Why buy another 10"?
    That 7 1/2" guy looks very interesting. I'm looking for something to use when I don't need all that much cutting capacity. My Makita is not heavy compared to the Bosch saws, but is very heavy compared to a non-slider or the 7 1/2" saw.

Park- I wouldn't mind being convinced to never buy another tool of any sort. Money in the bank (that stays in the bank) is what makes me happy.

Cheers
    Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

I keep this in the truck for the same reasons.
    It'll keep some of your money in the bank compared to the 7 1/2"
    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1040-...8981863&sr=8-6
    The Kapex goes in if there's a big job.
    I had a Delta 8 1/4" miter saw but it could not miter 3 1/4" base standup so upped to the 10"
    Last edited by SteveC; 06-06-2012 at 06:26 AM.
    SteveC
    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

I was at Lowe's the other day and saw a Kobalt 7-1/4" sliding miter saw - not top quality, but to me it looked and felt no worse than the new Hitachi crap.

lightweight and might be good for most punch list stuff, and 7-1/4 blades are cheap to boot!

well tried to look it up .kobalt has a stupid sight .they did not list or referance a 7 1/2" slider .

For small stuff, we have a Craftsman 7-!/4" non-slider (current model) and it cuts decently. Cheap, extremely light, small and has a laser.

For a 10" non-slider, the best all-time is the Delta dual bevel. Long out of production but comes up on eBay and CL once in a while if you're patient. No current product comes close.

The Hitachi 10" is merely OK in my experience.

yeah I got the hitachi 10, it's crap.

I use the smallest, least complicated, lightest weight saw that gets the job done. Brand doesn't matter as long as it gets the job done. I would not buy a saw that had odd size saw blades or one that has gizmos like laser beams. The blades are going to become more of an expense than the saw so if you already have 10" and/or 12" saws in the mix stick with those sizes.

The most important qualities in my mind are that the saw moves freely and can be adjusted, light weight and the guard doesn't get in the way of your sight lines along the blade.

I have an older 10" makita and a 10" Ryobi (yes it's a ryobi, it cost about $70, it's got a non ferrous blade in it, I use it to cut weather stripping, door seals and thresholds and it's a great little saw).

The other saws I own are 10" SCMS's and 12" miter saws so the blades are all compatible with my table saws.
    Last edited by dave_k; 06-16-2012 at 06:18 AM.