Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default adhesives for basement floor that occasionally get rain water on it

I have a customer that has a basement here in St Louis. Every spring and maybe once or twice a year there is a small amount of moisture that comes in the basement. While I have not seen it he says it only happens on the right occasions such as quick heavy downpours or the weeks where it rains daily. Seems to be coming in at the joint along the wall.floor area but since I have not actually seen it I cannot say for sure but see no real signs of wall leaks although part of the walls are finished.

He would like to put down ceramic tile to make the space look a little nicer but is not a fan of doing some sort of raised floor on sleepers or one of the dry core type systems. Mostly just wants something nicer to look at than a concrete floor he says.

I am wondering if a certain adhesive would work better in such a circumstance or if it will just come loose from getting moisture on it a couple of times a year.

Also wondering if any of you have had any experience with the concrete epoxy systems and if something like that would work at the floor/wall joints. Seems like the floor probably floats a bit so not sure that would help at all.

I prefer to use something to raise the floor off the concrete so water could flow to the drain but he is not sure of it. Ceiling is already pretty low so the 2 inches of height might be an issue.

Default Re: adhesives for basement floor that occasionally get rain water on it

Seems to me that what ever you use to set tile in a shower would work here. We use a thinset, with the type depending on the tile, the substrate, etc.

Don't see why this would not work in a basement. In fact i hope is does as we just set one like this.

We've done many basements with tile where some moisture comes through the slab and/or cold joints at the corners. Thinset will not lift or loosen from moisture, but you might get efflorescence.

You may want to go with a product such as Laticrete 254 platinum which has an antimicrobial additive.

Depends how much you want to spend on the this floor installation.

I've done lots of basement floors and a few with water issues and never an issue or problem using a basic all purpose thinset.