Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Makita vs. Festool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita vs. Festool

I am in the market for a track saw, two 55" guide rails, a new plunge router, and the adapter for running the router on the track.

I have a bunch of ply to rip down for custom closet cabinets and will be cutting my dadoes with the router. 16 doors will be purchased from a cabinet shop. I may end up with a few more cabinet projects after this, but my next year or two will probably be building decks and remodeling kitchens. I don't have a Festool CT vacuum yet, but I will eventually break down and buy one (currently just have a Ridgid vac which does a great job of cleaning up after...the Festool will be great for cleaning up DURING).

Makita RP2301FC is $295 on Amazon vs $500 for the Festool 1400 router (is the 1010 worth considering or if I go Festool, do I pony up the money to jump up to the 1400?). Festool track saw in $100 more than the Makita track saw. accesories are about even in price.

I like the idea of the Festool LR 32 system (though I'd go with the rail and base plate only. The edge guides, 32mm bit, and end stops put the $465 kit out of the question.

Is it worth the extra $300 to go Festool? $300 is a lot of money for tools that won't get used every week.

I'll add a second question since I know Kreg will have an answer to it (and won't be able to resist this thread). All the cabinets are going to be painted white. Any suggestions on paint? In my head, I have a design for a temporary spray room, but if anyone has a picture of a garage setup, I'd appreciate it.

Thank guys...have fun spending my money!
    Last edited by JayNos; 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM. Reason: Shelf pin boring jig became a reasonable option
    "American political opportunities are heavily loaded against those who are simultaneously intelligent and honest" --Richard Dawkins

Re: Makita vs. Festool

You'll produce a fine product with either manufactures tools.

You'll make more money with less fuss if you concentrate on the carpentry side and sub out all your finishing
    Gary

Comment

Mine are all Festool, saw, routers, sanders, MFT, drill, Domino clamps,......

They have never let me down. The Makita may be just as good, I have never used the saw.

I have the 1010, it comes with a track adapter. I made one for the 700. I don't have the 1400. The 1010 is a sweet router, some don't like the 700 due to losing site of the bit. It does not bother me. I trust my set up.

The LR32 is a slick system, I don't own it bit have used it dozens of times.

I do my own finishing. You can go with white urethane. SW will mix it for you.

Tom
      http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbnwi View Post
        I do my own finishing. You can go with white urethane. SW will mix it for you.
        Tom
        Tom, which SW product is that?

Comment

I have both the Makita and Festool Track Saws. They are very, very similar. The biggest deal for me is that the Festool has an anti-splinter on both sides - the left is on the track and the right is optionally added to the saw.

The Festool 1010 router comes with the pieces to work on the track and the extra dust collection stuff. If you want a similar but cheaper alternative to the Festool 1400 router, it is the Dewalt 621. It isn't made as well as they used to be when they were still basically the original ELU unit. Another great tool brought downmarket by Stanley B&D.

I think the two jewels of Festool routers are the 1010 and the 2200 but the 1010 has collets for only 1/4" and 8mm. Do you want to dado with 1/4" shaft bits?

You only need Festool or Fein variable suction vacuums for the sanders.

Comment

Originally posted by GregBradley View Post
            I have both the Makita and Festool Track Saws. They are very, very similar. The biggest deal for me is that the Festool has an anti-splinter on both sides - the left is on the track and the right is optionally added to the saw.

The Festool 1010 router comes with the pieces to work on the track and the extra dust collection stuff. If you want a similar but cheaper alternative to the Festool 1400 router, it is the Dewalt 621. It isn't made as well as they used to be when they were still basically the original ELU unit. Another great tool brought downmarket by Stanley B&D.

I think the two jewels of Festool routers are the 1010 and the 2200 but the 1010 has collets for only 1/4" and 8mm. Do you want to dado with 1/4" shaft bits?

You only need Festool or Fein variable suction vacuums for the sanders.
            Correct me if I'm wrong but the makita saw does not have a riving knife, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dgbldr View Post
              Tom, which SW product is that?
              I called it urethane, (use to all my water bourne being urethane) it is their Kem Aqua Water Lacquer. They also have Polane but that is a commercial product;

http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/mx/e...shes_topcoats/

You can use Trans Tint dye to color the urethane.

Tom
              http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong but the makita saw does not have a riving knife, right?
                Correct.

A non issue for me since I would rip problem lumber on a tablesaw with a riving knife. I should have made the "biggest deal for me" part stand out more.

Comment

If you care about your profession you would spend the extra money and get the Festool package. They are clearly the best tool company on the planet, much to the dismay of some of the haters here. Just my opinion. You should definitely get the 1400 if you are only going to get one router. The 1010 will take forever for dadoes. The LR 32 package has been discussed forever on the FOG and the verdict is that people who didnt buy the full set end up regretting it. If you are serious about the track saw, then you will need a five foot rail and a nine foot rail to effectively process sheet goods. When you join two rails you have to align them and if you do that enough youre losing money. The whole point of Festool is to save you time and help you make more money in an easier manner then its competitors. If you like what you see in Festool now, once you get some tools in your hands youre gonna want more and then youll realize that most if not all of the system can help you. Beware the hidden costs and double your budget. Check out the FOG too, someone has already asked all of your questions in the archives, Eric

Oh yeah Benjamin Moore Satin Impervi Waterborne

Comment

Festool or Makita, I'd say the smart money is on Makita. True, Festool will have a few more whistles and bells but as a guy that owns about a dozen of the green machines, I can tell you definitely they are not built as well as they are hyped. They simple have too many cheap plastic parts and need to be handled with too much care. No doubt they can do some things others cannot, but when it comes to something as rudimentary as a rail saw or router. You will be money ahead by going the makita route.
                    there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
                    yfc

Comment

Only thing I can add to this thread is use an HVLP system for the finishing. Less waste of material, great finish quality and minimal overspray makes working much more pleasant.

Comment

While I own many Festool products, I can't agree that "if you care about your profession, buy the Festool." But... buy the Festool.

Supposedly the Makita tracksaw is very nice. How are they selling? Will the parts and pieces be available in a few years.
                        Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

can't say i have any complaints with my Makita tracksaw, But do they make a plate that I can attach a router too for dadoes? That would be sweet but not too hard to cobble together if they don't offer it.

ML

Comment

Josh, I was just saying that if Jay wants to be the best craftsman he can be and Im sure he does if hes on this forum doing this research then I believe he would be better off trying to get the nicest tools he can afford. Not saying that the tools make the craftsman, but they sure can help. Would you want a brain surgeon using the second best tools or the most progressive ones in the world? Eric

Comment

[QUOTE=MSLiechty;659668 do they make a plate that I can attach a router too for dadoes? That would be sweet but not too hard to cobble together if they don't offer it.
                              ML[/QUOTE]

They make a plate, not sure if it works with non-Makita tools (looks similar to pattern on the Porter Cable edge guide).
                              http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-194579-2.html

Originally posted by ericbuggeln View Post
                              Josh, I was just saying that if Jay wants to be the best craftsman he can be and Im sure he does if hes on this forum doing this research then I believe he would be better off trying to get the nicest tools he can afford. Not saying that the tools make the craftsman, but they sure can help. Would you want a brain surgeon using the second best tools or the most progressive ones in the world? Eric
                              That is my thought at the moment. I love my Makita stuff, but I'll eventually drink the green Kool-Aid. Basically, do I save a few hundred now and end up buying the Festool stuff in 2 years, or drink up right now. The track saws I see as even (for the most part), but the routers get closer together once I go out and buy the vacuum attachment for the Makita.

I think of tools like bikes:
                              Ryobi is the bicycle you get at Walmart. Useless.
                              Makita, Bosch, etc are high end race ready bikes. Good enough to make sure the problem is the user, not the equipment.
                              Festool is Tour de France ready. When you train all day, have no weight left to lose, and need that last little mechanical advantage over the competition.

In that analogy, my carpentry skills (or the projects I do) still need to lose some weight.
                              "American political opportunities are heavily loaded against those who are simultaneously intelligent and honest" --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X