Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Trimming a cabinet in place?

I too have done this several times with the festool. No big deal. Clamp the track and make the cut.
    Lamar

the biggest question is, who is the sock jockey that decided it was a good idea to make fridges 70" tall.
    cabinets over fridges have been built 15" tall for decades, and eons. Now they have to make them 14" and the installer has to cheat the cabinets up a little just to accomodate the extra height of the new fridges. That's what happens when some pencil pushing re-re that learned everything he knows on the screen of a computer, makes a left field descision to gain half a cubic foot of space in a fridge just so they can advertise theirs as being the bigger better model. And leaves us poor guys out in the real world trying to compensate for his idiocy with green tape, hot glue, clamps, track saws, router bits, dust containment enclosures, jigsaws, drills, varnish, and vacuum cleaners, just to slide a dad gum fridge in the hole.
    Just cut it however you want to, refinish the cut, clean up, slide the fridge in, and thank the morons of this world for job security.
    Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

That is exactly why I will not draw the cabinets until I have the makes and models of all the appliances.
    Lamar

Hey Lamar! Nice to see you again. It's been a while? Hope all is well with you.
    Gary

Mark, one of your best rants !!!!! love it and how f'n true
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

An 8 foot ceiling, minus an 8 inch soffit, minus a 70 inch fridge, leaves 18 inches. A 15 inch cabinet would allow a 6 foot tall fridge with an inch of air. Full height cabinets would allow a 24 inch fridge bridge.
    There is more to this situation than meets the eye (typing).

Phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Katz View Post
    Hey Lamar! Nice to see you again. It's been a while? Hope all is well with you.
    Gary
    Thanks Gary,

I have been around just not posting much. All has not been well this last couple of months. I was this >< close to closing down the shop and getting a real job. When My GC offered up his place, rent free, to me set up my shop so that I could keep building his cabinets and help me out of a jam. It also gives him a place to do stuff he couldn't before. A plus for both of us.

It's been two weeks in the new shop now and seems to be working out fine. He is starting to bid a lot more work and more work for him means more work for me.

Thanks again for the well wishes.
    Lamar

I would use this ( since I have one)

http://www.record-planes.com/128/rec...letster-plane/

You can get one off ebay for about $75 or so. A stanley 78 would work as well. Put the blade in the bullnose position set it for a deep cut and plane close to your line and then set it fine for the last few passes. I have never used it in an inverted/overhead position but it should work fine. clean up the corners with a pull saw and chisel ( or a chisel plane). The thing I like about this method is that there is very little chance of a screw up. Also, you can catch your shavings on a dropcloth.
    A person that works with his hands is a laborer.
    A person that works with his hands and his head is a tradesman.
    A person that works with his hands, his head, and his heart is a craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by philthegreek View Post
    An 8 foot ceiling, minus an 8 inch soffit, minus a 70 inch fridge, leaves 18 inches. A 15 inch cabinet would allow a 6 foot tall fridge with an inch of air. Full height cabinets would allow a 24 inch fridge bridge.
    There is more to this situation than meets the eye (typing).
    Phil
    Phil, I was using a 7' top heighth as an example, but I have run into the same problem with taller cabinets, because the cabinetmakers all made their cabinets over the fridge at 27" for an 8' tall cabinet top. Everybody is starting to get use to the new taller frides, though, but it still can pose a big problem for an older house, when the homeowner has to buy a new fridge
    Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.