Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Big honkin tapes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big honkin tapes

Seriously who uses these things? A landscape guy? Definately not a real Carpenter. Everytime I go the store there is a newer bigger fatter tape that takes a trailer to haul around and has a hook on the end of it the size of a ford bumper. Wahtever happened to sticking to what actually worked? I usually use the 25 ft stanley tapes that are chrome and seem to have gone out of style with all the new cool guys. By the way they dont stand out fifteen feet, but they are usually ten bucks or less and are just as accurate as they were when they just came out.

Re: Big honkin tapes

I confess - I own the "extreme" one, fattest one out there, with the extra-huge hook. If you work alone, it can save a lot of walking & climbing & wasted moving around. Of course it's heavy, and the lock is too stiff to be useful. So I also have a lightweight lever-lock. They get about equal use.
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

I use the Fat Max almost exclusively except for drywall hanging. The newer ones are getting a little out of hand though. It won't be long till the make a super ultimate extreme big fat fatty with a 30ft. standout...

A roll of coil-stock with a a piece of angle iron on the end.
      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskan Son View Post
        I use the Fat Max almost exclusively except for drywall hanging. The newer ones are getting a little out of hand though. It won't be long till the make a super ultimate extreme big fat fatty with a 30ft. standout...

A roll of coil-stock with a a piece of angle iron on the end.
        Typically, I peruse forums looking for just a little bit of sunshine ... a chuckle, or something that brings a smile to my face.

This post brought about a rare bit of laughter.

Great one.

Thanks, Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post
          I confess - I own the "extreme" one, fattest one out there, with the extra-huge hook. If you work alone, it can save a lot of walking & climbing & wasted moving around. Of course it's heavy, and the lock is too stiff to be useful. So I also have a lightweight lever-lock. They get about equal use.
          Funny. I picked up a Hilti PD40, and mostly just use a 16' tape measure.
          That little laser box has saved many, many hours of fumbling, especially while working alone. And having to measure things more than 15'...
          http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Comment

I have several of the 35' fat max tapes and those are the ones I like and use the most. I still have a couple of the older chrome stanleys and they are anemic by comparison, at least once you get used to extending the fat max.
            Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
            Website - Facebook

Comment

I've used the FatMax for years - 35' for layout and framing, 25' for trim and all-around. I take them in to my local Menards when they go bad and they are replaced for free. Haven't paid for a new one in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavrans View Post
                That little laser box has saved many, many hours of fumbling, especially while working alone. And having to measure things more than 15'...
                They are small and extremely accurate. More accurate than any tape would be and so quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanya LaPunta View Post
                  Typically, I peruse forums looking for just a little bit of sunshine ... a chuckle, or something that brings a smile to my face.

This post brought about a rare bit of laughter.

Great one.

Thanks, Michael!
                  You betcha:)
                  Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Lavrans View Post
                    Lavrans:

Because of your post I bought the Hilti PD40 today, I had to go into Hilti today to give them Hell because they have never come out to certify my men on their DX 460-MX, I figured what the Hell, I've got a ton of things to measure and order; see, you kids can teach us old men some things after-all.
                    "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

traditional style stanley 35'er is my go to tape for most things. I occasionally use a 40' fat max when I need that standoff capability and a 40' husky with a magnetic tip witch comes in handy for metal stud framed openings. the fat max and the husky have hooks which are too big, they tend to get stuck in the glass pocket when measuring glass sizes in aluminum storefront or curtainwall. I also have a hilti PD4 and an older model stabila range meter, both of which are excellent tools
                      glazier

Comment

Working...
                      X