Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing stain/growth from asphalt shingles

I have a client who wants to put her house on the market, thinks she needs to remove this staining - it's a shaded north side. I told her I was worried anything we used would just discolor it in the opposite direction and that the risk wasn't worth the slight reward, but she's determined. Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Removing stain/growth from asphalt shingles

Having trouble seeing the problem, is it one siding or the shingles?

They make zince strips that go under the ridge caps. A narrow reveal is left exposed and allows minerals in the strip to wash down over the roof. Kinda like seeing clean sections of a white roof under a dormer or vent that has aluminum or copper flashing.
    Tom

We actually have a local guy advertising roof cleaning without power washing. Claims to completely brighten dark stained roofs from lichen and extractive bleeding. I am hoing to find out more about what kind of solution they are using.
    Tom

It's the roof, and we're going to put some zinc or copper under the tabs, but I don't think that will get rid of the staining, just kill the growth. And I agree it's hard to see.

What's it from? Did you pee out the window or something?

Edit: no window, you peed off the roof then?
    Portland Renovations, Inc.
    www.portlandrenovations.com

Could be.....bee/hornet spray will stain roofs.
    Dont know what can be done about that.
    Tom

I can see it perfectly well, and it would bother me too if the rest of my house looked that good. I'm guessing it's just mildew that has grown in the shady area, as it does on north-facing siding. Should be real easy to take care of with a pressure washer with plain water, or maybe a long-handled brush. No risk.
    Last edited by charles; 04-26-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Moss and mildew killer (for surfaces - not the kind for lawns) from the nearest big box store. Spray with hose end sprayer, let it work. Hose off.

I don't know that you are going to get it much better, Dan.

If it was the whole roof that was affected and needed cleaning, maybe. But in my experience, just doing one spot can often make it look worse, esp since you have a dark colored roof.
    Last edited by S.Joisey; 04-29-2012 at 04:43 PM.

That's my concern. We'll try a hose and stiff brush to start.

Dan:
    Hell..., that’s a shadow, just move the sun a few degrees in the sky or rotate the house 90° and it should go away. :-) The stain almost looks like the footprint of a long lasting snow drift.

Otherwise, won’t a stiff brush or pressure washer remove half the granules too. Can you try any solution you use on a small area first, and in longer and longer times btwn. application and wash off (retention times) to assess the results. Then, maybe wash that whole plane of the roof surface to blend things out. But, a whole different roof plane, and any slight color change, won’t be very noticeable. All of the standard suggestions for these situations, and a real PITA, nonetheless.

The copper strips prevent (inhibit) algae, and the like, from forming and growing. I think that produces a very dilute copper sulfate solution when it rains, thus preventer. You could try a more concentrated solution of copper sulfate, but you must catch this because it will kill any vegetation it contacts. A fairly concentrated solution of water and household bleach sprayed on, and left to dry will many times kill this kinda stuff. The bleach is what I use in a couple places where tree sap seems to be food for moss on our cabin roof.
    Dick Hackbarth, PE
    RWH&AI, Consulting Engineers

Thanks, all - we'll try some things next week. Was thinking about diluted bleach too.

Our painter had literature on a product called Wet and Forget, www.wetandforget.com Though we did not try it yet, the idea seams appealing for gently cleaning surfaces. Supposed to be ecologically responsible. For what its worth