Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Smart Phone - Quick Question ?

Ted,

Check your email settings. If you want it to check email continuously set it to push. I have mine set to manual, I don't like being bothered with the notifications.

I agree voice will become the way to control these devices

Lavarns,

I have tried others "keyboards". I can't use those. Give me a touch screen any day.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Tom, I've changed all the settings, we've really investigated and I'm not ruling out it could be a setting.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Quote Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
    I agree voice will become the way to control these devices

Lavarns,

I have tried others "keyboards". I can't use those. Give me a touch screen any day.

Tom
    Oh- I don't mind touch screens, and I think that should be here to stay. I just can't wait for the garbage that Apple came out with (that everyone is copying) to be replaced by something good. I want to be able to use a stylus or something smaller than my finger to do precision things on my screen. This clumsy, technologically slick, low-utility touch screen just bugs me to no end.

Soon enough we'll hopefully have a nice projected display with sensing tech so we can have a bigger viewing area and can point and act with anything.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

I pulled out my old no-longer used Blackberry, and I can type using both thumbs much faster on the mechanical keyboard than the touch screen on my iPhone. I remember sending some seriously long emails on my BB, I wouldn't think about doing that with my iPhone, takes too long. Of course I usually have my iPad and the digital keyboard on it works great.
    ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

Ted,

The shortest time Apple allows for the email to be automatically pushed/fetched is 15 minutes. They do it for battery life.

If you have it set to push the data and fetch the email, the time set to 15 minutes, I don't think it can be any quicker than that.

There may be mail apps out there that will resolve your issue. I don't use mine anywhere near the way you and some others here do. So it is not an issue for me.

Tom
    Last edited by tjbnwi; 04-29-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrans View Post
    Oh- I don't mind touch screens, and I think that should be here to stay. I just can't wait for the garbage that Apple came out with (that everyone is copying) to be replaced by something good. I want to be able to use a stylus or something smaller than my finger to do precision things on my screen. This clumsy, technologically slick, low-utility touch screen just bugs me to no end.

Soon enough we'll hopefully have a nice projected display with sensing tech so we can have a bigger viewing area and can point and act with anything.
    Like I said to Ted, I don't use mine anywhere near the way some of you do. I can't think of anytime I ever thought "I wish this was more precise". I don't find it clumsy, then again the iPhone was my first "smart" phone. Maybe I don't know what I missed.

I saw a commercial for the "Note". It appears to be what you're looking for.

By projected display, do you mean a projected screen image or keyboard? I have heard/read tale of both.

Tom

Thanks Tom, yes it is set to 15 mins. I think it also fetches when opening the email app. That would explain why it starts to download when I go into the email app.

Allan, are you not on the 4S? If not I would consider upgrading. The voice capability is really fantastic. I rattle off long emails very quickly. I thought the 4 had the same capability, just not Siri however.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrans View Post

There are 3 or 4 styli out there for the iPhone/capacitive touch screens
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7xvxfroh2p_e
    OK, more than 4 ;-)

This is coming out the beginning of May and it has some great reviews by beta testers already.
    http://www.sensubrush.com/
    That coupled with ArtRage app from Itunes store and you get a pretty powerful sketching tablet. You can add stuff to any image loaded on the iPad or on iCloud. I will order one as soon as it is available and give a short review. I'll see how it works with the PlanGrid app as well.

Phil
    Last edited by philthegreek; 04-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Phil- the styli just aren't very precise. They will work fine for the iPad, which is an etch-a-sketch. If you're willing to spend lots of time and willing to do a lot of zooming in and out you can create things that are nice, but it's still not as good a medium as even the old Palm or Windows screens for stylus work. That's also why it's not all that great a touch screen for typing on- but it does do multiple finger input, which the others wouldn't. That's the pros & cons.

A good touch screen will come out- the ones used now are intermediaries in what will be an evolution. It's ok for what it is; it will get better. One place where it's just not as good is typing/data entry. It's better for games and scrolling around though. Aesthetics v. utility.
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang