Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Off to a new Path...

awesome arch !!! go get um
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

This is a great opportunity to network and build a good relationship base to build your design/build business.

This could be the train you've been waiting for to get into the right clientele that not only seek and appreciate your work, but can afford it as well.

Good for YOU, Jesse!
    Be bold and powerful forces will come to your aid.
    You've always been hungry to learn and then to teach. This will put you in a perfect position to do both, and with concrete results that will have a long term impact on your career, whether you stay with finish work or whatever you do. I feel bad for your dad. I wish I could come up and keep him company. But he raised you for just this moment and I bet he is just as happy as you are, and even more proud.
    Carpenters and contractors always complain about architects and designers. Now's your chance to made a different. Go get 'em.
    Gary

Jesse - a year ago last week I hung up my tool vest and transfered my finish carpentry experience into running a Custom Cabinet shop owned by a high-end custom builder - and I couldn't be happier with the switch.

About 75% of our work so far has been my design - including cabinets, floor plans, wainscot, trim, etc - with the remaining by architect spec.

I was at first a bit saddened to leave the field work behind, but have absolutely found that so many of the same difficult decisions made in the field I face behind the computer... my successful resolution of them ultimately making for smoother installs, builds, etc. Plus, I get to jump in on the shop floor when I get the itch.

I'm sure you'll find your transformation similar and that you'll thrive. Way to go!

You're probably my favorite poster here, though... so that's a bummer, but an acceptable one.

What a great opportunity

Sounds like a good challenge. Congrats

Well, It's been said plenty already but I'll have to echo it anyway.
    Congratulations! It does sound like an awesome opportunity for you.

With the economy the way it is you will feel much better about the decision once the steady checks start coming in. especially with a young family. Good luck and keep us posted.

And most important - Keep close to your Dad! I lost mine in February. I treasure the times we had as adults. You'll learn a lot from each other.

Maybe join a wood turning club together or something. It doesn't matter what you do as long as you have a reason to get together. It'll make you more likely to get together without life getting in the way. With me and my Dad it was pizza and beer once a week and we'd talk philosophy.

God Bless,

Bob

Congratulations Jesse, that firm is fortunate to have you.

Jeese

Congratulations! Sounds like a perfect fit. I think you are very talented in this field. My only advice is to really, really study the classical orders in order to get the proportions right, and know how you can tweak them to fit each job.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

RJC
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with quality.

Sounds like a great job. Best to you.

I've really enjoyed the projects you've shared here.

As yet another refrain (is that redundant?), good for you Jesse, I've always enjoyed your posts, and have been impressed with the learning you've done, both carpentry-wise and sketchup/design-wise. Good stuff all around.

Hard work pays off, and it's always nice to see someone you respect do well.

I am brought to tears over all of your comments. Thank you just doesnt seem enough. I will be keeping this thread on my favorites to get me though challenging times.

I am ready to take the bull by the horns and go. I have my first site walk through on monday and already have been talking to the contractor (who I will be working closely with) who so far, is EXACTLY the type of person I would want to be working with. His answers to some of my questions about framing clearances, and layout with electrical, fire sprinklers etc were better than ideal for me. He is on the ball, and plans his framing around the finish like it should be, and shares the same passion for quality details as me, he said he will do what ever I spec out. (Im just glad I only talked to him on the phone so he couldn't see my jaw hitting the floor). ...I feel so refreshed to be apart of this...as its NOT what I am used too, in fact FAR from it! I can't believe I get to just focus on the details, and not have to worry about making them work out after the fact. Which has always been the largest stress, and most difficult part of being a designer and builder.

I will still be on here on JLC, and post when I can...unfortunatly probably not as much only because I do have my work cut out for me over the next few weeks, and with my new baby boy at home, its amazing how busy life has gotten. LOL...I am loving it every second of it though. I have lots of projects around the house I am doing including building my own doors, and finishing the outside trimwork on my house. Ill post up more pics soon.

I do have to sign a bunch of Non Disclosure aggreements with this firm...so I may not be able to post much, if any...If they will let me show some of the details I will put some up...But its a much different league now...

Thanks again Every one!
    I have a ton of respect for all of you, and your words of encouragment, have touched me dearly.

Congratulations Jesse, I had the great pleasure of meeting and speaking with you at the Katz roadshow last october in Brisbane. I found your enthusiam for design, details, and work very refreshing compared to so many young men your age. I plan on attending the roadshow at Beronio lumber in San Francisco this coming june, perhaps I'll see there. regardless, based on what I've seen of your post's, drawings and videos, I think you'll do very well indeed. Good Luck !
    glazier

Congratulations Jesse, I think you will find it a whole new world and watching you mature in this field through your hard work it is well deserved.
    David Tuttle

Hi Jesse.
    Like everyone else, Congrats on your new position and your new son.
    How is the new job going? I am confident that you shall do well since you have a great eye for design and details
    Understand about the NDAs, but if you can show any of your work and the finished product, please post them when you can.
    Rich

That's great news. Not many people get an opportunity to move upward these days. Most can only hope to maintain current status.
    Lamar