Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Default Dimming LED bulbs

I don't know enough about this yet... one of you does. I need to spec some dimmers for LED bulbs, and I need to spec the bulbs themselves. Looking through the Lutron site I see they are selling a line of "HED" dimmers tested for use with various LED (and CFL) bulbs. They're not that expensive, but I don't know if they'll work better, and if the bulbs they're tested with are even the ones I want--some of which are going in typical surface fixtures and would normally be 75-watt incandescents, and others for downlights and would normally be 75-100 watt floods. I know at least a couple of you guys are fairly fluent with this stuff.... can ya' break it down?

http://www.lutron.com/EDUCATION-TRAI...dLEDs.aspx#hed
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Default Re: Dimming LED bulbs

The new Lutron dimmers definitely help on the LED's for dropout. I waited to add dimmers to a job until these came to market. I did install dimmable LED's, it was worth they wait. I ended up with the Diva 3 way. I hope they release them in the Mastero series.

I used the bulbs of my choice. They are PAR16-8W LED. 5200k IIRC. Just checked, they are PAR20-6W from EarthLED.

I did have to play with the dial to set the low dim level. Took about 10 seconds.

Tom
    Last edited by tjbnwi; 04-24-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Tom, thanks, that is very helpful. Any chance you can recommend some specific bulbs? Long life, high efficacy, warm color... I'm sure they're gonna cost.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Here is the short story on theory.
    LEDs operate at constant voltage. For example red is somewhere around 1.7-2.0V. You vary light intensity by varying (limiting) current, so a proper dimmer is essentially a variable current source tailored for the current requirements of that particular string.

Not a very universal thing so you need to talk to both vendors and see about compatibility. Or buy everything from one vendor if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by David Meiland View Post
    Tom, thanks, that is very helpful. Any chance you can recommend some specific bulbs? Long life, high efficacy, warm color... I'm sure they're gonna cost.
    http://www.earthled.com/lumiselect-d...ght-bulbs.html

Most are CREE LED's.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Phillips LED dimmable are good as well for the 6" cans. I have a ton in and going in to my house...
    “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
    Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Lutron tech support has been pretty impressive when I've called in the past:

(800) 523-9466
    Steve

To my VERY limited knowledge............ it is possible to dim LED lighting at 240 volts (No doubt it also works at 110 volts)

Ive seen it done, but you need to talk to an expert "sparks"
    Limey Carpenter