Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default App For The Forums

JLC online doesn't have mobile app yet do they? If not, I think it's about time they got one. The more I use my new smartphone, the more I can see myself using it for all kinds of things. The last few posts I've put up have been from my phone. I've been using a new text entry method called Swype, in which you drag your finger to and through each letter of the word you want to write. Very cool and quite fast as you get used to it. Next I'll download a better speech to text app.

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Default Re: App For The Forums

Not yet. As far as I know it is being worked on.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Well get on it man! Lol. This is what I mean when I say the forum is stagnant in some ways.

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

I just started using the swype method again - I didnt give it enough time he first time around. I really like it - it's 2 x as fast to input text with and incredibly accurate.
    -Dan

When I bought my iPhone, I knew I wasn't going to be able to use those cool text inputs.

Then I discovered voice to text. I use it for every text and email, it's pretty amazing. I still use the keyboard for typing in passwords and such, but all emails and text is verbal entry. Very accurate and fast.
    I will never buy a Nissan Cargo Van.

That's what I need, an iPhone app for JLCOnline.

Clearly we don't spend enough time on this forum already, we need to spend EVEN MORE TIME on it when we should be working or otherwise gainfully employeed.!!

Ted- voice-to-text works great on my Bionic too. There's just many times when I still need to type in a message, like when I'm having dinner at a restaurant and need to respond to a hot thread on JLC!! Hehe. We still need choices. (Hey, did you ever find your dog? I've been meaning to ask you that...)

Which is also why I think an app for the forum would be nice. Make it a little easier to use my phone instead of needing to bring my laptop with me to dinner, to answer that thread on JLC!!

Seriously..., as I look through the app store and learn more about my smartphone by reading articles online and such, I'm starting to think about just how much use the smartphone can be, and how much it will be able to replace my laptop. Which I'm sure is a question that has gotten lots of activity way before I got into this game. I'm a newbie for sure. But I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

And I don't want to end up making my life more complex, by adding new gadgets. I mean, when I got a laptop, I dropped the use of my desktop, until I got rid of it altogether. Sure, I needed to buy a wireless mouse, and I sprung for an external monitor at one point too. Same with my landline phone when I got a cell phone.

Now I'm looking forward to when I can do without a computer altogether. And between what these smartphones can do, and what is happening with cloud computing, why not?

Tom
    Last edited by TSJHD1; 04-25-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Tom,

Here are some ways I use my smartphone:

Report writing...say if you have jobs you go to and need to take notes, I use the Evernote App. I speak into the phone, notes are dictated, converted to text, then placed in the job folder for that job. It syncs with the cloud, then I get to my desktop computer, go to Evernote and all my info is right there, typed out. I could see how this would be useful in many ways for contractors.

I am constantly using it to make Reminders.

I use it in the field as a scanner on Jot Not, it links up to Evernote, so I can scan in a Building Permit, etc. and put it in it's job folder on Evernote.

I obviously take photos, now I am using iCloud, no more download, etc. I am tagging photos by job or date.

I have running "Notes" for example if I am driving I ask Siri to "add canned foam to my materiel list Note" and it does it by itself.

I use my cloud server app (Egnyte) to access my files for every job.

I use Goto PC to access my desktop.

I use Concur to scan in receipts and keep my expenses.

I use Tripit to keep travel itineraries which apparently has a Concur plug in.

I am looking into Time sheet apps.

Almost all these apps are "global" my term for saying they have a cloud/desktop component vs. being "local" just on the phone. The app is what is called a "companion app" for a service.

On thing I can come to the conclusion on - it will never replace my laptop, not even in the field.

We are building a database to work off of the smartphone, it will work well for simple entry, but once you get into real computing....you are better off with a computer. At least that is what I found so far.
    Last edited by Ted S.; 04-25-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Tom,

You should be able to add JLC to (one of) your home screens. My widget is a screen shot of the JLC home page. I tap the widget, the forum comes up.

On the iPhone there is an arrow in the bottom menu bar. Tap on it an the share options come up. One is, add to home screen. I have no idea how to do this on a droid, it has to be able to do this.

Ted,

Any note I create in the standard iPhone Notes app transfers straight to my email notes folder (or what ever folder I label the note as). How is Evernote different than that?

Tom
    Last edited by tjbnwi; 04-25-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
    Any note I create in the standard iPhone Notes app transfers straight to my email notes folder (or what ever folder I label the note as). How is Evernote different than that?

Tom
    Tom,

On Evernote I have my main company folder, then each job has a folder, with notes from site visits named under a specific date.

So when I go online, I have the very well organized file cabinet of jobs and such, I also have plug-ins where I can scan with JotNot and place the scan from the field into a job folder. I can do this with photos as well.

I have iPad access as well, although I don't much care for the view in iPad, that may be a setting.

Still work in progress.