Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default For first time since Depression, more Mexicans leave U.S. than enter

“I think the massive boom in Mexican immigration is over and I don’t think it will ever return to the numbers we saw in the 1990s and 2000s,” said Douglas Massey, a professor of sociology and public affairs at Princeton University and co-director of the Mexican Migration Project, which has been gathering data on the subject for 30 years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...DdT_story.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...298534158.html
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

Default Re: For first time since Depression, more Mexicans leave U.S. than enter

Two words: Woohoo and hallelujah! Well that's three, but...
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Default Re: For first time since Depression, more Mexicans leave U.S. than enter

But who's going to do all the landscape maintenance? And labor on construction sites? You can say what you want about their skills and legality, but given proper supervision the Mexican workers really produce. I don;t think anyone can fault them for working a full day.
    Last edited by e hilton; 04-24-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Whos going to do EVERYTHING in TX? In five years, the only gringos I saw doing any work in the sub (they've put up a lot of houses) were carrying out a mop and vacumn after doing the final construction cleaning on a new house. I was shocked. I never thought I'd see any gringos working in the subs.

Well, don't get too excited yet, I know of a few people who are getting their paperwork in order, then heading back home to get a visa (or however it works....) to come back legally with a Green Card. And I know of a couple who have done this already and are now back and legal. Don't know how common this is.

As construction improves, they'll just come back anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBoy View Post

Well, don't get too excited yet, I know of a few people who are getting their paperwork in order, then heading back home to get a visa (or however it works....) to come back legally with a Green Card. And I know of a couple who have done this already and are now back and legal. Don't know how common this is.
    Fantastic. Go through the process to become legal. Bienvenidos.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Same here. I have a sub with a mostly Mexican crew. All legal. Some of the best workers around. I have absolutely no issue with legal immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by dgbldr View Post
    Same here. I have a sub with a mostly Mexican crew. All legal. Some of the best workers around. I have absolutely no issue with legal immigrants.
    Me either...as long as they are legit. There's plenty round here that are not. Drywallers are being hurt by the Mexicans...
    ~Kent~

Quote Originally Posted by dgbldr View Post
    I'm all for legal immigration with one caveat. We cannot allow all kinds of chain migration from their families especially parents and grandparents. Those folks have little or no skill, will be on gov't programs ASAP and take from the gov't and never put in a dime. All nationalities are an issue, I've heard Russian are the worst nationality in sponging off the system.

As said, the reduction in illegal immigrants is only temporary. Whenever the economy gets better it will be flowing full speed. The way to end illegal immigration is end birth right citizenship to get rid of the anchor baby issue and the eligibility for all kinds of welfare (since the kid is "american") and go after employers who hire illegals. If they cannot get welfare (all types) and they cannot get work, they will not come and if here they will leave. Neither party wants to be serious about it though.

In MA we've never had a big illegal Mexican population. The bigger groups here are central American Guatemalan, Brazilian, Ecuadoran, etc. I've known some and they are very nice people (they all came legally on vacation visa's and just stayed) I don't blame them, the US is paradise compared to the dump most came from. With the exception of the criminal percentage of rapists, murderers, etc. they are just looking to make a better life for their family and themselves.