Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How would you handle this eave detail

Are you familiar with cor a vent?

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

I think you are correct that it is 2 factors that caused the problem. Fire treated plywood and the higher temps. There were a lot of issues with the fire treated plywood in the late 60's early 70's even with well vented attics where the material just fell apart.
    I have done 2 jobs, on a a 4/12 picthed roof and the other that was 1/4"/12 (basically flat) from about 1968 where the wood just disintegrated due to the heat.

Looks like yo have your work cut out for you.
    Good luck and keep us posted, maybe some pictures when you are ripping off the old roof.
    Thanks
    Rich

Rich-wouldn't you think that an issue from 44 years ago would have been assessed by now? Actually, long before now?

Tom
    1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
    2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
    3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
    4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Buesking View Post
    1) Gutters are spec'd to be perfectly level. I know not ideal but engineer sited the smacna manual and decided level was ok after myself and owner questioned it.

2)3/4" Sheathing both layers

3)I can't think of anything that is cost effective that would be nominal 1" compared to an inexpensive 2x4.

4)Standard 300lb landmark premium dimensional shingle

5).040 aluminum gutters.
    Sorry, I meant that downslope below the gutter. @#$%^ autocorrect, lol I typed in after and came away with of ;-)

In your drawing it looks like the gutters are wrapped or inserted in another box-like structure.

Phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

On second thought, what about multi-tiered fascia? Facia, then ventialtion gap, then a 2nd layer of fascia, then the gutters?
    Michael

Hi Tom,
    Yes, you would think they would have gotten it correct, but with the quality of the wood they use now days, the changing glues to get rid of formaldehyde, etc then the fire treatment, wood can do some strange things. Since the OP indicated that the roof deck gets very hot, I think the wood just dried out as well as the glue and it is falling apart.

It is sad that what we build today will not last near as long as things built 100 years ago because the materials are not as good.

Sometimes we try to fix one thing and make other things worse. As an example, when we stopped using CCA treated lumber and the replacement stuff is much more corrosive now. I wonder how many decks that were made early on when the new treated woods first came out will fall or collapse due to the nails and hardware that was not galvanized enough to resist the corrosiveness of the new woods.

Just my opinion.

Thanks
    Rich

Phil,

Those are gutter brackets spaced every 36". They are also strapped. This is a fairly large gutter compared to a residential gutter.

Michael,

I can not change the cornice detail. I already have a significant start on the metal framing and the cornice aluminum package is already 80% fabbed.

This is all after the fact now. Started off figuring 100 pieces of plywood out of the 2700 would need to be replaced due to rot. Then it was determined complete deck replacement. Then it was found that the insulation is fastened to the existing plywood. Then it was decided that since we where going these deep into it we had better address the venting issues.

Just trying to figure out all of our options, costs, etc so I can present to owner on monday.
    Louisville Exteriors
    Professional Installers of:
    Siding | Replacement Windows | Roofing | Hand Rails | Gutters | And More!

Gutter slope:
    I've done a level, rectangular box faux-gutter, say 6x6, and hung inside it a 4x6 rectangular gutter, which can be pitched up to 2". Secret is 2-1/2" vertical leg drip edge coming off the roof that the back leg of the gutter can be tucked under.

Conceal a few weep holes in the faux gutter to allow anything to get past real gutter to weep out. I think I just used some open butt and cover joints and let them weep