Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Compact ejector pump assembly

I need to put a bar sink in a basement counter. There are no sewer stacks going down to floor. The sewer lines exit the basement about 4 ft above floor to go to a septic tank.

So I need a compact ejector pump/box assembly that I can put in the cabinet below the sink. Can someone recommend something they've used with good success? Any other hints for this type situation?

Default Re: Compact ejector pump assembly

I used a Hydromatic system on a job about 5 years ago. No problems to date.

http://www.jhpoore.com/hydromatic118-5.html

Plan your discharge routing well.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

the one in my basement has a zoeller pump. It is over 10 years old and I use it to was brushes and greasy hands. Don't forget a check valve.
    Tom D.

more tools please.

Grafton, MA, but sometimes on another planet

As stated Zoeller has the premier product line, but you might want to consider using a Sani-Flo unit. Either company produces a product that will work nicely for your application.

Don
    I started out with nothing. I still have most of it left.

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the data sheets of all these pumps and it's not quite clear how they are plumbed. Some of them have a vent port on the box itself, some don't. Can I use an AAV? Does it go between the trap and the pump? At least one of them suggests you can only use a two-way vent, which I take to mean a regular vent through the roof only?

On the one I installed I ran the vent pipe with the discharge pipe. Created a wet vent off of a line entering the main line. I did reduce to 1-1/4" for the vent.

I have heard you cannot use an AAV on pimp basins and a few other things due to rapid change in pressure. The vent would be damaged. That may have changed since I was told this.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dgbldr View Post
    ...Can I use an AAV?
    Check with your city building department. Used to be the city I live in didn't allow them but the city next door did.

On my house I plumbed in for a basement 'bar' sink but I couldn't get a vent line in without boxing in something ugly and I didn't want to do that so I capped it off and sealed it up in the wall figuring I'd wait until AAVs become legal in my city! Guess it's time to check the new code and have a chat wth the inspector... ;-)

The elegant solution is a Zoeller fiberglass sump set in the floor with dual pumps (such as 267 units), along with an 'Alternator' that alternates the pumps and alarms if one of them fails. Major advantage is that it will never overflow, if you pay attention to the alarms.

Of course this is all pretty costly and severe overkill for what you want to do.

In single pump systems, sooner or later the pump fails and you find out when it is full and backed up into the sink. Then you have to figure out how to get the water out of it so you can open it up to replace the pump.

Might be useful to install another 1/2" pipe goes through the top and down to 1/2" from the bottom, with a valve on it and hose threads so you could hook up an external pump, open the valve, and pump the water elsewhere, such as outside. Might try that sometime.

Wet vac the sink out. Place vac hose in drain, push hard to seal. Turn on vac. It will draw the pipe clean and remove a few inches of water from the sump.

dg,

Don't forget the receptacle in the cabinet to plug the pump into.

Tom

Tom