Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default DIck Clark and Levon Helm

So no one intersted in giving any stories about these guys?

I will give one.

Had no idea who Levon Helm was until I saw The Last Waltz on PBS years ago. Intersting group and history. As with so many bands I hated to see the guys break up but it happens. I still find it intersting to think that The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down was considered rock n roll. Always thought it sounded like it belonged on a country and western show. Liked the band but only knew a few songs although my brother had several of their albums.

Dick Clark I do not really remember from American Bandstand. More from the New Years Eve parties. I do find it intersting how much "influence" he was supposed to have. I am guessing kind of like Oprah is today. She mentions an author and they sell millions. He mentioned a group or singer and they went on. Waiting for the biography version to come to TV to see what other intersting things he did.

Default Re: DIck Clark and Levon Helm

My Dick Clark Levon Helm story;

Kreg text me that Dick Clark died. I thought he was older than he was. Either I didn't watch it or the memory has gone, I don't recall watching American Bandstand.

I text Kreg about Levon Helm, his response Who, my reply-No the singer/drummer for The Band. Not The Who. I used the song The Weight as a reference, (had to explain with take a load off Annie)

More southern rock than C&W, mixed in with a touch of blues.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Total bummer for the music world. It's a shame The Band is not more instantly recognized- Just watch the Last Waltz- EVERYBODY in the music world loves those guys! One of the more democratic bands out there: everyone got to write and sing- didn't really have a frontman.

Now- I am in the camp that believes the lyric is "take a load off Fanny"
    Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

I have seen it as Annie-Anny-Fanny. It was the 70's, maybe the writer couldn't remember, so they just let the public have it what ever way they choose.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jobercian View Post
    Total bummer for the music world. It's a shame The Band is not more instantly recognized- Just watch the Last Waltz- EVERYBODY in the music world loves those guys! One of the more democratic bands out there: everyone got to write and sing- didn't really have a frontman.

Now- I am in the camp that believes the lyric is "take a load off Fanny"
    The Band is great, quite a group of amazing musicians. Levon Helms and Robbie Robertson did end up hating each other- a large part of that was based on how "The Last Waltz" was produced, and Levon felt that Robertson was taking to much credit for writing the songs.

I saw Levon Helms play at a folk/bluegrass festival years ago. He played drums, mandolin, and banjo as I recall and was great on all of them.

And it's "take a load of Annie"- although I'm only basing that on the other lyrics to the song that mention "young Anna Lee"
    Mike

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it. -P.J. O'Rourke

Anna Lee is a different character in the song.

Although I do not claim anywhere near 100% whether it is Fanny or Annie- I merely choose Fanny for god knows what reason.

I do like the explanation that they might have forgotten because of the time period (60's, not 70's)
    Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Don't forget, Levon Helm had a somewhat successful acting career:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0375629/

One of my favorite characters Helm played was Jack Ridley in 'The Right Stuff'. He was also the movie's narrator.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Overbuilders View Post

One of my favorite characters Helm played was Jack Ridley in 'The Right Stuff'. He was also the movie's narrator.
    That's cool- I had no idea
    Josh O.

- Michelangelo-

Thanks for the info.

Tom

The first Band song I ever heard was "Life is a Carnival" from The Last Waltz. I heard it on the radio as a teenager, probably a high school sophomore or junior. I went out and bought the album the next day. They really were something else. "The Last Waltz" had a huge impact on me and really helped define what kind of music I like. I bet there's an interesting story of how the film ended up being directed by Martin Scorsese.

I saw The Band at the old Golf Mill theater, a theater in the round, in Skokie years back. One thing that sticks with me is what a showman Levon was. He was the guy that seemed to hold the group together. He was the guy full of witty onstage banter, and always posed for anyone who wanted to take a picture. There was a story about Levon Helm in last week's WSJ that had a link to his website: http://www.levonhelm.com/. Pretty cool guy, the world of music will miss him.

I also saw Rick Danko at a solo show at a place called Biddy Mulligan's years ago. He was also amazing, and seemed so overwhelmed with joy at having the opportunity to play before an enthusiastic crowd, no matter how small. It's funny how sometimes you have such vivid memories from something such a long time ago.

I too saw that Danko show at Biddy Mulligans. I remember to this day the stunned look on his face when the entire audience laid on absolutely perfect harmonies without prompting on "It Makes No Difference". The whole room was totally into it.

I also remember him making sushi of a heckler in about 12 seconds. I don't remember the entire put down, but it ended with "like your mother!".

I saw Danko and Helm twice as an acoustic duo, some of the biggest roots I ever heard.

Levon shall be missed.

I Just saw Levon Helm about a month ago here in Chicago. he played what was called "Levon's Midnight Ramble" whihc was basically a history and romp through what ever he and his band felt like playing, all of it it int he gospel/r&B/ C&W/ roots/ americana/ etc blend that he represented.

His voice was strong, but you could tell he was ill/ or had been. overall the show was fabulous, of note was his daughter who played with him. He voice was incredible.

He will be missed.

I really wanted to do the Old Town School show, but I couldn't handle the cost of the charity benefit tickets.

Had I known that it would perhaps be the last show he ever did, I would have spent the $250 a ticket. You are so lucky to have seen that show.