Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: tile spacers, small rooms & more

[QUOTE=davenorthup;659097]RJ - that threshold looks real nice.

Thanks Dave - actually it is just a piece of ranch casing used as a reducer since I had to add a layer of 3/4 ply to the floor.

Charles - the vent cover is in the corner and not in the main walk way, so not worried. Plus the company that made it laminated a piece of carbon fiber to the back for reinforcement.

RJC
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with quality.

Quote Originally Posted by RJCarney View Post
    At the threshold, I used a color matched caulk - see attached. For a nice look, I had a tile water jet cut, to replace the floor vent cover.

RJC
    RJ

That vent cover was a good idea, it looks grate. ;>)
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Quote Originally Posted by tomthetoolman40 View Post
    RJ

That vent cover was a good idea, it looks grate. ;>)
    Agreed and good one, Tom!
    No brains, no headaches

Jeff

Beez,

These are pictures of the Tavy spacers I now use. They are "4 corner view" on the package. The old style I have is on the right.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Looks like those sit on the tile, rather than down in the joint. Probably work fine, but I'm accustomed to being able to sight the surface of an installation, and feel it with my fingertips, to make sure it's flat. Have you used the "plus sign" spacers?
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Yes, I have used the "plus sign" spacers. They are what I used prior to finding the original Tavy.

With the "ring" on the spacer, it is very easy to tell if the tiles have any lippage. They won't sit properly if there is any lippage.

You can site down these and they act as a gun site or winding sticks do. Any variation jumps right out.

Much easier to remove that the "+" sign.

I also have a Tavy "puck" with a bubble level. Slide that across the tile and you can hear any lippage that is present.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

have always wondered about the "puck". I do like David and usually feel the tiles to see if there is lippage. I may have to try the puck because once again, I will admit, that an installation that I thought was good may have a tile that I miss or don't notice until the next day. Hate that when it happens.

Actually one of the types of tiles that I hate to install is what they call the tumbled edge tile. I lay them and think I have a good job and it may be a good job. But without a great straight line I really feel like I am second guessing if I have it right or not. Whenever I have to install those types of tiles I am all about using some type of spacer and the Tavy seem to be the ones I like the best.

After re-reading the posts on this thread, I noticed two in particular. One talked about water getting through the grout, the other about water getting behind caulk. Yes, some grout is porous, but usually, that is because the grout was mixed with too much water or the joint was not completely filled. Partially filled joints are one reason why water appears behind a caulk or sealant joint. If the grout is mixed, installed, and cleaned properly, there will be minimal water intrusion. Wherever there are joint voids in a wet area installation, water will collect. So make sure your joints are always fully packed - if you know what I mean.