Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

changing compressor oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing compressor oil

I recently bought my first oiled compressor, the Bull by Rol-Air. It says in the manual to change the oil after 40 hours. Is that 40 hours of run time, or 40 hours of my working time? After the first change how often should the oil be changed? Any recommendations on what oil to use? Thank you.

Re: changing compressor oil

40 Hours of run time.
    This and all the other question should be in the owners manual or asked of the manufacturer.
    No none here is warranting the compressor.
    SteveC
    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

I realize "No none here is warranting the compressor." That's fairly obvious, just looking for some friendly advice.....thanks for that
      Last edited by wjffineww; 04-19-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Non-detergent synthetic.

Won't foam, starts easier in cold weather.

Tom
        Last edited by tjbnwi; 04-20-2012, 06:33 AM.
        http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

I always use Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor Oil which is described as a high quality, 30 weight, non-detergent, single viscosity oil. A 16-ounce bottle runs about $3 or so. Any brand will do. That's just what the sell at my store.

Be careful not to overfill and check the level a couple of times right after the change.

Clean or replace the air filter regularly. That's actually more important than oil changes.
          Joe Adams
          Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
          Houston, Texas

Comment

I change the oil in my small compressor twice a year spring and fall. It is 5+ years old and runs fine.
            Tom D.

more tools please.

Comment

I use synthetic also .Rarely change it . sythetic starts in the cold and has better lubrication . I had one engine start a lifter rattle at 70 thoasand ,as long as i ran synthetic no rattle ,sold it at 220 tho miles .figure it will lubricate a compressor long enough to out live me . I would be more concerned with the tank rust then the oil

Comment

Originally posted by wjffineww View Post
                I realize "No none here is warranting the compressor." That's fairly obvious, just looking for some friendly advice.....thanks for that
                No being a smart ass but "friendly advice" ain't worth spit when the manufacturer says the "friendly advice oil" you used voided the warranty. :)
                SteveC

Comment

Originally posted by joseph View Post
                  ...I would be more concerned with the tank rust then the oil
                  That's a very good point. I've seen compressors drain out rust-colored water too often.

You aren't going to have any worries about the warranty from using the advice here.

Def change the oil after the first 40 hours of use...that first change removes any small metal particles that get in the oil as the comp gets broken in. After that, like some have said, non-detergent, straight-weight, and you don't have to change it exactly like the manual says. Just make sure you change it. Its quick and easy.

Tom
                  Last edited by TSJHD1; 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM.
                  1) Unconsciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows not that he knows not. He is a fool. Shun him.
                  2) Consciously Incompetent: He knows not, and knows that he knows not. He is simple. Teach him.
                  3) Unconsciously Competent: He knows, and knows not that he knows. He is asleep. Wake him.
                  4) Consciously Competent: He knows, and knows that he knows. He is wise. Follow him.

May we all endeavor to progress from not knowing that we know not, to knowing that we know.

Comment

Originally posted by TSJHD1 View Post

You aren't going to have any worries about the warranty from using the advice here.

Tom
                    My opinion about doing what it says in the owner's manual is not to say experienced advice given here is not without merit. That said, I would do as the manual says until the warranty has expired to preclude them from denying a claim should there be a warranty issue.
                    SteveC

Comment

Working...
                    X