Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

customers that won't listen to you

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customers that won't listen to you

not sure if this happens to anyone else but I seem to have run into a couple of customers lately who do not seem to want to listen to me. Have one that has begun to strip lead base paint on a porch remodel that I am doing and is doing it with a torch and no personal protection. The chips are let to fall into the grass and gravel and flower beds. On this job I have effectively quit and asked for my check for services rendered since I do not want to be associated with this issue. I am not sure what my liability could be since I actually took a picture of the homeowner with a torch and scraper in her hand doing the work and one of the work site. Guess it could be stated as a staged picture and I did the work but who knows.

Second thing that has happened to me is I have a lady who seems insistant on running the job for me. She has told me that I need to do certain things at a certain time. The problem is that it is things like paint the dining room walls today and we will do the ceiling in a couple of days. We have dinner guests coming and we want them to see the new wall color. If it was only one room I could take it. But she has asked for things like do the baseboards first since the house keepers will have all the furniture moved out for me, then they put it back and next week when it is all move out again I can paint the walls. I so far have just ignored her for the most part and talked to her repeatedly about sequence of painting. Finally got thru a bit when I told her it was like making a cake, if you don't follow the recipie you don;t get the results you want.

So my examples are just my own customers. I know we are supposed to do what we can to please the customer and that the customer is often right. Sorry but awlays is not a term I like to use. Both of these jobs are for past customers who I know are strong headed but this time it seems a bit over the top to me. And both jobs were already started and going when this stuff started coming up.

Anyone else get frustrated by customers like this? Or you never run into this stuff? If you do how do you handle the ones who only want it done their way? I feel my approach with the 2nd lady may end up with it beign said that I don't listen to what they want done even if the job turns out well. So not sure that approach is a good one also.

Re: customers that won't listen to you

The customer is NOT always right and you have done well to educate her that sequence is essential to get the best results. If it's a fixed price, then you have every right to lead the way. That's why they hired you. If it's by the hour, I would just remind her that it can be done the way she wants, but will cost more.

I know it's hard, but try to be perceptive about the type of client when you first meet them and steer them towards a CostPlus contract if you suspect they will be hard to work with. When people hear the clock ticking, they generally figure out it's best to stand aside and let you do your job. If they don't, there's always the consolation of taking a fatter check to the bank.

Comment

At one time I had a small booklet I would provide the homeowner at the contract signing. It provided a lot of info in layman's terms about the remodeling process. I'm not sure how many actually read it, but it did seem to keep them out of my hair.

I think I bought it thru the NAHB bookstore, and i think they sell like 50 copies in a package!
      Take Care

Jim

Comment

beez,

Maybe you just have problems women?

Tom
        http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Mark is no different than any other man, women only pretend to listen to us. They nod their head in fake agreement, and then do exactly what they want.
          Chuck Kiser
          Knollwood Construction Company
          Palos Park, IL 60464

Knollwood Construction
          Kitchen Remodeling Chicago
          Bathroom Remodeling Chicago
          Building Repairs Chicago

Comment

Hi

Bring out the change orders when they want to change the process from what was planned, scheduled and or bid.

If they have to sign and know that it will cost more, then maybe they will think twice.

In the first case you were smart to walk away. In this day and age, with the EPA and RRP, the homeowner should know better. The pictures should help to prove she was doing the work, not you. But as you indicated, not foolproof either
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by tjbnwi View Post

Maybe you just have problems women?
              Avoid Type-A, divorced clients. They're torture. I'm on a mission from God.

Four in four consecutive years. Two were divorced, another should be, and the fourth died last year.
              Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

Comment

Beez, no need to be frustrated. It's all part of business.

Put appropriate language in your contract. Then 1. Quit the first job as you did. and 2. Charge the second one for all your time.

All of these issues are easily anticipated and should be addressed in your contract. Nobody does anything "their way" on my jobs. It's done as agreed in the contract.

Comment

May I suggest you read THE FEMALE BRAIN by Dr. Louann Brizendine before signing any more contracts or doing work for women. ;-)

As a wise man told me about it, "it's like getting an instruction manual for something you could never get to work right" LOL
                  It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
                  Working Man Online Store
                  Living Healthy

Comment

Tom and Chuck, you suggestion that I cannot get along with women is pretty funny. And a little scary since I would guess about 90% of my work is instituted by the lady of the house. If I could not get along with them I would be out of work by now. Besides I have been married to the same gal for 37 years now although I think she may just be putting up with me. As far as the women nodding her head and looking like she agrees with me I would bet my wife would say the same thing about me. I know I have heard her ask for things and I just nod my head and move along. Selective hearing is what I call it.

I know that I should tighten up my contracts a bit but I am pretty low keyed when it comes to some of this stuff. I have heard from customers who tell me that all they know about the job is what the final cost is, never really read much of anything that I give them to read. Since I got a website put up I always mention it to them and tell them that will answer some questions for them, and many still never go there to look at things. I used to have a couple of pages that I handed out about work schedules, change orders, who is responsible for things like locking the pets up and such and a basic Letterman Top 10 list of things to expect in construction. Most admitted to never reading any of it, just sign on the dotted line. And for some of my long term customers, I don't even get a signature until the job gets to be around $5000.

May have to start another thread on contracts.

Comment

Mbeezo, my hat is off to you. You are a braver man than me. 90% of your work is for women... AND you don't have a contract until the job gets around $5,000...

OMG, what do you do for relaxation and to wind down at night, play Russian roulette?
                      It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
                      Working Man Online Store
                      Living Healthy

Comment

I feel your pain brother. I would say that 90% of my jobs are brought forward by the woman of the house. I'm going to start a two car garage with a great room above next week, the husband is 100% against it, we signed the contract yesterday. What does that tell you?
                        I've been told that I havea very calming effect on people (I am layed back) and fortunately don't have many problems especially repeat problems. I try to size up new customers and I avoid past problems like the plague.
                        My rule of thumb (not 100% but close) is not to due work for couples with no children. They are not accustumed to having noise or dust etc and they tend to be a PITA. As anyone who has kids, especially boys, they take the fight out of you in a few short years.I always get a contract, here in MASS it's the law for anything over $ 1000.
                        Good luck
                        Ron

Comment

Mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8pGtYce78

Originally posted by Kip de Moll View Post
                          If it's a fixed price, then you have every right to lead the way. That's why they hired you. If it's by the hour, I would just remind her that it can be done the way she wants, but will cost more.
                          Even if it is fixed price, give her a change order showing the additional cost of doing it her way. If she signs it great, you get more money. If she doesn't, great you get to do it the way you want to.
                          Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=R2a8TRSgzZY

Totally feel your pain. My experience is that people who act this way don't view us as skilled professionals- I've even been told "I would do it, but I don't have the time." Makes you want to absolutely go ballistic. So sorry man, that completely stinks.

I wish I had some advice, I tend to not mask my contempt very well. Listen to the other guys.

Cheers-
                            Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Comment

I tell customers "job x will be $1000. If you watch it will be $1500 and if you help it's going to cost at least $2000."
                              Darrel Hunter

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X