Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trouble hiding ceiling tape joints

greetings everyone, brand new to the forum and brand new to drywall.

just a little background, i have a serious issue with perfection, especially if its a craft i'm learning and tackling for myself on my own projects.

after investing a lot of time with my virgin journey on my new home hanging and taping, ill admit i did good so far for my first time, but its not acceptable enough for me...so ill continue to mess with it until its professional

after a little reserach, what im trying to achieve is the so called "level 5 finish"

i have a large great room in which i tore down two nonbearing walls to create, half of this new great room needed old texture paint sanded off...then a skim coat, prime, and paint...now it looks perfectly smooth.

the other half required fresh sheetrock and taping.. so i did 3 coats...even 4 coats on my tape joints....sanded, sealer-primer, and painted....however, i neglected to skim coat the entire area...unaware that it would help.

now my tape joints are showing greyish areas that disrupt a perfectly smooth white finish in natural light...so i hit these areas with a second and third coat of paint to see if theyd hide...still no luck.

now these joints even feel perfectly flush to the hand, but after multiple coats of paint still show...so i even went in with yet another 12" knifing tight over my joints,, reprimed, repainted.... still showing.

please see attached photos:

my only thought is, the paint is "taking" different on the joint compound than the paper...even after a few coats of paint...still the slightest texture difference
    at this point, im guessing i have to skimcoat the entire area so every inch is covered in compound to get my desired result.

can anybody please help if maybe i'm doing something wrong here?

thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: trouble hiding ceiling tape joints

You knew you had an obsessive compulsive perfectionist disorder and you went ahead and did it yourself instead of hiring a professional taper who could have given what you wanted.

What will your therapist say now

also note...i take pride in doing everything myself and the learning that embodies it, hence the reasoning not to "hire the professional"

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpur View Post
    also note...i take pride in doing everything myself and the learning that embodies it, hence the reasoning not to "hire the professional"
    The issue now is, you have come to a professionals only forum looking for help to correct the problem you have created.

Do you really think it is right to come here and solicit free advice?

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

i see i'm not part of the secret alliance of invisible internet folks who are so worthy of knowledgeable advice

this is a web forum, people learn here right? maybe my question will help another pro in the future

You are aware that a level 5 finish requires skim coating the entire surface ?

You have a lot of build up on those tape joints regardless of your efforts. Someone with more experience than myself I hope can advise how the joints will blend in with a full skim coat to get your desired results. What primer exactly did you use on the dw maybe part of the problem ?

I'll give you a suggestion. Its not going to be the top level response I hope you will be provider here but it has worked well for me when needed.

Using a 1/2 " nap roller prime the entire surface with with a liberal coat of this hi - build primer (there's a difference between dw primer, hi build / hi - hiding primer and pva primer). It dries to a few mils thick and levels out much imperfections. You then lightly sand with #150 or #220 and it will come out very smooth.

http://www.rustoleumibg.com/images/t...e_10_15_10.pdf

I have used this method to cure the problem you have but like I said you have a lot of build up on those tape joints ?
    Last edited by Happy Home; 04-16-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

you could try to skim coat a part of the problem area and see if that gives you the results you want. The other thing I have seen happen is as you said. Joint cement and paper face on drywall look differently under the same light, even after several coats of paint. Try doing a light sand on the ceiling that you are having the trouble with. Sometimes the paper area will "fuzz" up some and a light sanding can help even it out and make it look the same as the rest of the ceiling.

Hope you got some ben gay type product for your shoulders and neck-sounds like you are in for a battle to get it perfect.

That's what I was thinking too Beez - skimming out a 5 x 5 area adjacent to the tape joints. After that you'd be committed to do the entire surface.
    Steve

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

My drywall contractor is finishing a job for me right now. It's about 2500 feet of surface area, including a very large continuous ceiling that used to be three rooms. He is making it come out really, really well, and when I look at what he did after he's gone, it's almost perfect as it comes off his tools. He doesn't waste any time or moves, he doesn't waste any mud... he makes it look so easy. No way I would ever attempt to do it unless I started at the bottom, learning from him or someone else that's as good.

I did hang the board, though. That I can do, it's a lot more like carpentry.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Home View Post
    You are aware that a level 5 finish requires skim coating the entire surface ?

You have a lot of build up on those tape joints regardless of your efforts. Someone with more experience than myself I hope can advise how the joints will blend in with a full skim coat to get your desired results. What primer exactly did you use on the dw maybe part of the problem ?

I'll give you a suggestion. Its not going to be the top level response I hope you will be provider here but it has worked well for me when needed.

Using a 1/2 " nap roller prime the entire surface with with a liberal coat of this hi - build primer (there's a difference between dw primer, hi build / hi - hiding primer and pva primer). It dries to a few mils thick and levels out much imperfections. You then lightly sand with #150 or #220 and it will come out very smooth.

http://www.rustoleumibg.com/images/t...e_10_15_10.pdf

I have used this method to cure the problem you have but like I said you have a lot of build up on those tape joints ?
    thanks for the advice here, yeah i was aware that level 5 was a full skim...i did a full skim over old ceiling texture areas that i removed and the finish looked perfectly even in those spots.

i think ill give the hi build primer a shot before full skim, as ive just used a regualr drywall primer with a 3/8"nap and never sanded after primer like you mentioned

as far as build up, there really isnt much...as these are the tapered joints not the but joints
    Last edited by jazzpur; 04-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Your buddies over at CT say it may be installed in the wrong direction ?

Is it installed perp to the ceiling joists ?

Addl - Hmmm......I looked at your photos again. Those spans.....the board is hung with the joists not perp looks like ? Anyway it is what it is. Your not going to answer anyway ?
    Last edited by Happy Home; 04-16-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeezo View Post
    you could try to skim coat a part of the problem area and see if that gives you the results you want. The other thing I have seen happen is as you said. Joint cement and paper face on drywall look differently under the same light, even after several coats of paint. Try doing a light sand on the ceiling that you are having the trouble with. Sometimes the paper area will "fuzz" up some and a light sanding can help even it out and make it look the same as the rest of the ceiling.

Hope you got some ben gay type product for your shoulders and neck-sounds like you are in for a battle to get it perfect.
    im going to try the hi build like happy mentioned, but ultimately may have to skim so ill play with an area, it really shouldnt take too long and i have a rolling 3' platform to work off of

I figured you used a low nap roller. You didn't have the surface yet to use it. You can use that after the hi build sanding. The hi build will come out smooth like the dw compound or plaster when you sand it.
    Steve

Your occ - you're an engineer here but an electrician at CT ? That makes you an engineer electrical ?

Anyway - I suppose that's a compliment to us at JLC ?

Welcome
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Home View Post
    Your buddies over at CT say it may be installed in the wrong direction ?

Is it installed perp to the ceiling joists ?

Addl - Hmmm......I looked at your photos again. Those spans.....the board is hung with the joists not perp looks like ? Anyway it is what it is. Your not going to answer anyway ?
    the sheets were hung perpendicular to the existing furring channel under the joists

and yes im an electrical engineer by profession
    Last edited by jazzpur; 04-16-2012 at 11:05 PM.