Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Structured Wiring Training Class

I recently attended an excellent one-day structured wiring training class on how to install low voltage systems like phone, data, audio and video in residential applications. It’s called the Residential Network Cabling Installer Program and is sponsored by Ideal Industries, CerroWire, SouthWire, Klein Tools, Leviton, and Commercial Electric (CE) Tech. It is hosted by Home Depot in their regional training centers around the country.

Click here for future training dates and locations. http://www.idealindustries.com/sales/hd/input.action

The primary instructor is Ron Kipper, IDEAL's Corporate Trainer with over 25 years experience in the electrical and low voltage industry. Here’s his YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/RonKipperDatacomm (Yes, it’s filmed in the corner of his basement woodworking shop!)

The one day agenda (8 AM to 5 PM) includes the following topics:

• The Residential Environment
    • Codes, Standards, and Regulations
    • Residential Structured Wiring Systems
    • Data and Phone Systems
    • Connectivity
    • Audio Systems
    • Design, Planning, and Specifications
    • Hands On Installations
    • Testing and Troubleshooting

Class size is limited to 20 but it is not restricted to electricians. There were several builders interested in learning more about what’s available and how to include it in their homes.

The course costs $89 but that includes a nice set of Klein low voltage tools and a free lunch that Ron promises will always be a good one. (Our class went to Chili’s and could order anything on the menu but the cocktails!)

The technician’s service kit has a Klein VDV427-807 110/66 Multitool Punchdown ($60), Klein VDV100-80 Dual Cartridge Radial Stripper ($20), Klein 21010-6 Free Fall Snip ($17), and two Sharpies all in a Klein zippered bag.

These came in handy (along with some more expensive loaner tools that we had to return afterwards) for the hands on portion of the class when we made up various types of data connections. These were tested at the end of the day and I'm pleased to report that all mine worked.

All the course material (from the actual PowerPoint slides) is included in a binder so you don’t have to furiously take notes during class. That’s good because he covers a lot of material at a fast pace and you’ll want to go back afterwards to soak it all in.

All in all, it was a great learning opportunity and I would encourage anyone interested in low voltage applications to sign up to attend when they come to your area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 04-16-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Joe Adams
    Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
    Houston, Texas

Default Re: Structured Wiring Training Class

I'm surprised there is a demand for SW anymore in residential. I wired my house for it including a fiber line. Everything we wire now is individual locations and of course wireless too. The phone line is the real dilemma now. So is where to put CATV (high or low)