Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Plangrid - Cloud-Based Plan Room for iPad

Quote Originally Posted by swbuilder View Post
    Phil,
    I didn't convert it to .pdf, it came from the designer or plan room that way. I think I had it saved on my ipad using dropbox but its been a while so im not sure. I have the 1 gen 16GB so that might be the problem too.
    Even if the designer uses a logo for his/her title block, it can make the file size jump by 1 meg. I have run into that in the way of pics I had used to trace proportions. I left it invisible in the background and forgot about it on a layer that I made invisible. When converting to pdf, that layer became visible and the pic incorporated into the pdf, causing the size to become cumbersome to open. That is the problem with rasterized images. I like to create my logo as a bezier linear drawing, it saves huge memory and is infinitely scaleable. Back in the day, we had to be very conservative and very efficient with memory usage. My first graphics computer had a 128 meg hard drive ( the largest they offered at the time) my how things have changed. Anyhow, that train of thought applies equally today with all the BIM software that embeds a whole lot of stuff into a print.

Phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Randy
    PDFs can be all over the place size-wise... it really depends on the program that created them... the file that they were created from... etc. PlanGrid manages the overlay stuff it adds to the .PDF but as far as I can tell doesn't do anything to what you upload. As Phil mentioned - even a couple small background raster files, extra layers, or embedded fonts can take a small file and blow it up. FWIW - the size of the final .PDF output is one of the things that separates the professional tools like Acrobat from the wannabes.
    JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Randy,
    According to the video on the website it optimizes the PDF's so they show faster. I just uploaded a bunch of them and they're "processing" them now so I can report back if you'd like. I have the gen 1 32 gig ipad so I'm hoping I don't have the same issue as you had.
    -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

Thanks Dennis. Let me know how that works for you.
    Randy

Here is an article by the founder of Plangrid titled "How Tablets with Transform Construction".

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/11/tab...-construction/
    ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

Thanks for that brief article Allan.

Phil
    It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Edwards View Post
    Here is an article by the founder of Plangrid titled "How Tablets with Transform Construction".

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/11/tab...-construction/
    I'm having pretty good success incorporating my iPhone and iPad into my business. I'm finding that the services I am using are generally cross platform with a cloud component, or Apps that are a interface to a larger global service.

However, one trivial comment or correction to the article's first sentence...the Owner doesn't have the money, the Bank or their participating investors do.
    "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

One note on 4G - I upgraded my phone and iPad to 4G and wish I had not waited so long to do so. The difference in speed of the 4G combined the faster processors has a big impact on being more productive.

One of my goals this year was to be paperless.

Friday was a jamb packed 12 hour day with the clients - subs and vendors on one of my jobs. Selection schedules - selection items - job schedules - purchase orders - budgets - to do's - photo's - Plangrid mark ups - remote faxing - and calendar items were all done remotely.

Capturing the information quickly is great - the real power is sharing the information via email - fax or Co-Construct remotely - all parties on the same page.
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiobuilder View Post
    One note on 4G - I upgraded my phone and iPad to 4G and wish I had not waited so long to do so. The difference in speed of the 4G combined the faster processors has a big impact on being more productive.

One of my goals this year was to be paperless.

Friday was a jamb packed 12 hour day with the clients - subs and vendors on one of my jobs. Selection schedules - selection items - job schedules - purchase orders - budgets - to do's - photo's - Plangrid mark ups - remote faxing - and calendar items were all done remotely.

Capturing the information quickly is great - the real power is sharing the information via email - fax or Co-Construct remotely - all parties on the same page.
    Interesting comment about 4G, my iPhone is but my iPad isn't. I am driving my company to have more and more information and tools available on handheld mobile devices so it can be accessed in the field. It doesn't do any good to have data you need on a job sitting on the company server.

We've been paperless for 3-4 years now and it has worked better than I anticipated. It has become routine and efficient. I have a very transparent company where almost all information is available to employees, I think it creates a sense of trust.

Interesting comment about 4G, my iPhone is but my iPad isn't. I am driving my company to have more and more information and tools available on handheld mobile devices so it can be accessed in the field. It doesn't do any good to have data you need on a job sitting on the company server.

We've been paperless for 3-4 years now and it has worked better than I anticipated. It has become routine and efficient. I have a very transparent company where almost all information is available to employees, I think it creates a sense of trust.
    Allan the newest iPhone is 3G. The newest iPad is 4G and it is expected the much anticipated iPhone 5 will be 4G. Easy to get things confused.
    Last edited by TWhite; 04-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWhite View Post
    Allan the newest iPhone is 3G. The newest iPad is 4G and it is expected the much anticipated iPhone 5 will be 4G. Easy to get things confused.
    How can that be? I'm clearly getting a 4G symbol on the top of my iphone where 3G used to reside and E prior to that.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by TWhite View Post
    Now if its not TRUE 4G, well then that's another matter.
    Randy

I have a very transparent company where almost all information is available to employees, I think it creates a sense of trust.
    I'm going to try and remember that as I dig my way out this downturn and am able to hire assistants again.
    Randy

From Walt Mossberg:

Q:
    In your recent article about 4G cellular networks, you didn’t mention the iPhone. Do you know if the iPhone 4S, which now indicates (on the AT&T version) that you’re sometimes on 4G, is actually 4G?

A:
    The AT&T version of the latest iPhone can take advantage of one of the types of faster networks that has been heavily advertised as 4G, by rival phone makers and by AT&T. It can theoretically download data twice as fast as the prior AT&T iPhone. But like many other phones, it’s using what is essentially a souped-up version of 3G.
    When the iPhone 4S first came out, Apple announced it had this higher speed on the AT&T version, but didn’t label it 4G. Now, since a recent operating-system update, these iPhones say they are on “4G” when they are in an area covered by some of AT&T’s faster networks. But the software revision didn’t change the download speed of the phone, only the indicator.