Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Individual Income Tax Return Deadline

This is a friendly reminder that Individual Income Tax Returns must be postmarked and mailed to the IRS by Tuesday, April 17, 2012.

From the IRS:
    Taxpayers will have until Tuesday, April 17, to file their 2011 tax returns and pay any tax due because April 15 falls on a Sunday, and Emancipation Day, a holiday observed in the District of Columbia, falls this year on Monday, April 16. According to federal law, District of Columbia holidays impact tax deadlines in the same way that federal holidays do; therefore, all taxpayers will have two extra days to file this year. Taxpayers requesting an extension will have until Oct. 15 to file their 2012 tax returns. http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...251825,00.html

Important Note - For those who complete their own tax returns, there are a couple of ways to make this task easier. http://www.irs.gov/efile/

1) If your income was $57,000 or less during the year, the IRS has partnered with brand-name tax software companies to provide FREE tax preparation as well as e-filing. Each software is a little different but most use a step-by-step questionnaire format that take your answers and automatically fill out the appropriate tax return forms.

2) Everyone (regardless of income) can use the IRS Free File Fillable Forms. However, you must understand how to complete tax returns to use this method as the only thing automated is adding up all the numbers on the form. These are online versions of the paper forms that can be completed and filed electronically. They can also be saved as PDF files on your computer to preserve your work when you take a much deserved coffee break.
    Joe Adams
    Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
    Houston, Texas

Default Re: Individual Income Tax Return Deadline

I finally did mine last night. Went over them this morning. E-file sometime between now and midnight Tuesday. Just another year for me.

Best part is, it really upsets the wife that I wait until the last day.

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Kinda like playing the "One more Exit" when the low fuel light is on.

I got to the gas station the other night and my digital read out said "2 miles until empty".

I am a firm believer that there is another 20-30 miles after it hits 0.
    Louisville Exteriors
    Professional Installers of:
    Siding | Replacement Windows | Roofing | Hand Rails | Gutters | And More!

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Just mailed my extension form... almost impossible to get my CPA to crank out my return in the short period between mid-March (earliest I ever get my package to him) and April 15.

Josh, no large corporation will tell you the truth, even via your gas gauge. There is definitely a few more miles in there.
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

All I can say is when you put 18-1/2 gallons in a 19 gallon tank you're cutting it too close. Not that I would know but the Jeep did have to coast in to the gas station.

Also with all the problems at the Post Office, don't expect them to stay open to midnight waiting for your last minute return. Use E-File instead!
    Joe Adams
    Houston, Texas

Today's the day!
    Joe Adams
    Houston, Texas