Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Still me but starting over

Quote Originally Posted by JayNos View Post
    Write them down and lock them in a safe. Your main threat is not someone breaking into your home or office and stealing them, but someone using brute force (of the comp sci kind) to hack into your accounts. The main problem I have is everyone having different requirements ("Is this the bank account that wants a number AND a special character?") When I can, I go for something easy to remember, but long. "remodelingmagazine" is actually a really strong password. So is "WhatIsMyPassword". If a website requires a capital letter or a special character write it down. Example: Chase account...Starts with a capital letter. Add ! at the end.

Most people hacking your account via a program just try every possible combo starting at 6 characters long and continuing until they get in.
    But that last sentence isn't true, Jay. Brute-strength is the last tool they're going to use; only after all of the easier, faster approaches have failed.

IRL, they're going to start off with a dictionary approach - and you're going to be wide-open.

8 random characters = vulnerable only to brute-strength attack = 250 years to crack.

8 characters, words from a dictionnary or common passwords (ie, "qertyuio", "12345678", etc) = vulnerable to dictionary attack = 2 days to crack.

Add a ninth character, and the first scenario jumps to something like 50 thousand years; in the second scenario, it only adds a few fractions of a second.

My approach: memorize a phrase, and use the first (or 2nd, or whatever) letter from each word to make up your password.
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

My approach: memorize a phrase, and use the first (or 2nd, or whatever) letter from each word to make up your password.
    I use Rod Stewart lyrics like 'Every Picture Tells A Story Donut'.
    Richie Poor

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, value engineer your unit prices.

You guys are clever!