Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Still me but starting over

Guys, I am back after about a 3 week absence. I have no real way of knowing what happened to my computer but suddenly one day it locked up and it took a while to get it back going. And when it did get going I suddenly could not log on to several sites that I had been on before. This was one of them.
    Now thanks to Tom Bader and his staying on the web folks and working on some options for me I am back on. So I start my count all over but should get it back up there pretty soon since I have a few questions for everyone.

So here is my first question for anyone who wonders how I get on the computer at all.
    What do you do to help you remember your passwords?
    I just seem to have too many and the case for JLC was that what I used 5 years ago or whenever I joined I could not remember or maybe it just did not work. I have a couple of places that pick the password for you so you cannot come up with some sort of thing like you dog's name or your first car, something that you might remember. Yet I worry about having a list of them posted on the wall of my office space. I am not really worried about someone stealing my JLC info but bank and credit card is a bit more worrisome.

old age does not help me much with remembering but also using the password once in a blue moon is not helping me much either.

Default Re: Still me but starting over

Mine are written on the back of my desk calendar. (Please don't tell anyone)

Tom
    http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

It's insanity!

Write them down and lock them in a safe. Your main threat is not someone breaking into your home or office and stealing them, but someone using brute force (of the comp sci kind) to hack into your accounts. The main problem I have is everyone having different requirements ("Is this the bank account that wants a number AND a special character?") When I can, I go for something easy to remember, but long. "remodelingmagazine" is actually a really strong password. So is "WhatIsMyPassword". If a website requires a capital letter or a special character write it down. Example: Chase account...Starts with a capital letter. Add ! at the end.

Most people hacking your account via a program just try every possible combo starting at 6 characters long and continuing until they get in. An 8 character password is easily hacked. 15 characters will take a few thousand years.
    "American political opportunities are heavily loaded against those who are simultaneously intelligent and honest" --Richard Dawkins

I cheat when it comes to passwords.. I use things that I never need write down but that have no relevance. For example the vin number on your car or the serial number on you tv. You get the idea. It's hard to lose your car.
    there is ALWAYS a better way waiting to be discovered-
    yfc

Home passwords are hard enough but you gotta feel for those in professions that require you to have long passwords, with various requirements and then require you to change it every 30 days (my sis in law is a nurse and has that requirement). As an additional boot in the behind, they forbid you to write it down anywhere. Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Beez - This is what I've been using for about 8 years. I have about 130 passwords. You can download a free trial which I suggest. I've never had a problem security or otherwise. It will create passwords for you if you like and insert any in the login page if you choose as well as some other options.

You do ultimately have to purchase but you can google Roboform coupon codes. To me its been worth the $20 or so one time purchase. You get free updates.

There are also some free open source password managers that are highly rated but I wouldn't care for them due to the nature of open source software.

http://www.roboform.com/
    Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

For forums like this?

They all have the same password. Every last one of them.

You wanna pretend you are me on JLC?
    Go for it.

What's it going to get you?
    http://www.lavrans.com

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts; for support rather than illumination." -Andrew Lang

Are you saying the JLC administrators couldn't reset your password? Most websites have a "forgot password" link at the login that sends it or a temporary one to your email. Did you try contacting Michael Chotiner or Brad Bull?
    Joe Adams
    Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
    Houston, Texas

Huh did not realize you were gone !!!!! Lol. Nope I missed you had to pick on someone else!

My password is simple. I just use your name. Beezo. That way I remember you I remember my password !!!
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Quote Originally Posted by Lavrans View Post
    For forums like this?

They all have the same password. Every last one of them.

You wanna pretend you are me on JLC?
    Go for it.

What's it going to get you?
    Same here. 99% of passwords serve no purpose for me, it's just an annoyance.

Welcome back, Mark.

We've moved several times over the years, so I use past addresses.
    Last edited by tomthetoolman40; 04-12-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

I use 1Password, then I only need to remember, 1 password
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by kreg McMahon View Post
    Huh did not realize you were gone !!!!! Lol. Nope I missed you had to pick on someone else!

My password is simple. I just use your name. Beezo. That way I remember you I remember my password !!!
    that is funny. I live on and serve some purpose in someon'e life! Just do not make it Boozo cuz that password won't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    Are you saying the JLC administrators couldn't reset your password? Most websites have a "forgot password" link at the login that sends it or a temporary one to your email. Did you try contacting Michael Chotiner or Brad Bull?
    Yeah, it took a while. For a while when the computer was down I could read the forum but could not post. The "forgot password" where it is supposed to be emailed back would not work for me. Micheal and Brad got it worked out.

Makes me think of the guy who looses his voice. Frustrating to want to add something to the mix and cannot. Now if I can just remember all those good points I was going to make.