Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Default Marmoleum... sheet vs. tiles

Going to have marmoleum installed in a kitchen that's about 12 x 12. Their roll size is 6'-7", so there would be a seam right down the middle. I know these are better than seams in vinyl, but c'mon... goods less than 7 feet wide? This could also be marmoleum tiles, just to make it look a little more intentional. This is a 1930s house so a lino tile floor would probably be historically accurate. Any thoughts?
    Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
    Website - Facebook

Default Re: Marmoleum... sheet vs. tiles

David, a good seam is nearly invisible, and I'm not sure but I think it's historically accurate for 1930. Tiles would also be fine. I like tone-on-tone tiles--not as much contrast as a checkerboard floor. Marmoleum is vulnerable to water so if it's an active kitchen it might be safer to go with seamed sheets.

Mike, any experience with the heat welding of marmoleum seams... is that what you mean by "seamed"?
    Website - Facebook

Yes, that is what I mean. It stinks when they're doing it but it comes out looking good, as long as they bring the sheets together nicely. I don't have a lot of experience with it but the few jobs we've done it on I've been impressed.

I think terms are being confused here

Marmoleum is the original patented product and is tough as old boots and is essentially based on natural materials that need early 19th century manufacturing techniques.

"Lino" is a more modern version of the same thing. Yes, the initial cost is significantly cheaper

but it has its own problems.............. it is FAR easier to damage. So it needs to be replaced more often.......... but on the face of it, it needs no maintenance (if it isn't damaged)

Are you a tenant or a landlord?

What does agreement allow for wear and tear?
    Last edited by Tom Bainbridge; 04-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Limey Carpenter

Just remember marmoleum is made from linseed oil and moves with heat. So warm days it expands and cool days it shrinks. So make sure to have a wide baseboard to cover up the edges as it moves around.
    Mike I hate the way welded seams look on marmoleum. They look very obvious to me unless you are intentially doing a pattern. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I hate the way welded seams look on marmoleum. They look very obvious to me unless you are intentionally doing a pattern. Just my 2 cents.
    I do too Stacey.

Two reasons off the top of my head for the short roll are:
    1) It is very heavy so a 12' roll would be super heavy to work with.
    2) It will crack and break through fairly easily, so trying to lay a large sheet would just about guarantee damaging it as you're installing it.
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

The distributor will give you a class on heat welding the seams. Also, they have welding rod that matches the sheet material.

As Stacey notes, better to integrate the seam into the pattern so the heat welding is less noticable, although it should be pretty good if you do it right with the right materials.

The tiles will let water in and will eventually cause the seam to swell a little.

I like the smell, texture, and longevity of real lindseed based Linoleum. Nice stuff. About $30 per square yard last time I priced it. Have a bunch of rolls in my garage I got as surplus once. Use it on select projects.
    HERS Rater • BPI Building Analyst • BPI Envelope Professional
    Certified Green Building Professional • Certified Existing Home Advisor
    General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Not my favorite material by far.

Yes it comes in narrow rolls because it's heavy. It also has humps from the manufacturing process that need to be dealt with. It moves with temp, it cracks easily and their current glue grabs fast and hard, so not a lot of room for error.

Most clients pick it for the "green qualities" and I have yet to see one who will brag about how good it looks. Consequently, I have yet to see one client complain about normal seams done reasonably well. I've never seen a welded seam.

I'd pick tile over sheet. Or better yet, one of the better synthetic products. I have one in my house in high traffic for about 20 years and it wears better than marmoleum can dream about. Meaning it's also more "green".

Quote Originally Posted by dgbldr View Post
    one of the better synthetic products
    Whaddya have in mind?
    Website - Facebook

Various vinyl and vinyl-like products of better quality.

I have extensive experience with Nafco strip vinyl from walking on it daily over 20 years :)
    Their top line is Crestview Plank.
    http://nafco.com/Default.aspx?tabid=302&sku=CP-71
    Very nice, heavy and limp, lays down well and wears well. The bleached ash that I have looks very realistically like wood and many civilians think it's hardwood. If you cut the strips down to random lengths, looks even fabuluous-er :) It's glue-down and easy to cut.

I don't have experience with the new click-together resilient flooring, but intend to try it at first opportunity.

The worst thing for me is that strip vinyl usually is woodgrain but fake looking. Once in a while you find a good looking one like described above and it's a keeper. I'm sure there are other brands with similar product.

Oh, and the nice ones are not cheap. but you knew that.

Looks great, particularly when installed in patterns. Go to the web site of the manufacturers and see some examples. The stuff I have looks somewhat like leather. Very nice.

You can get hump problems if you don't store it right. Must be stored on end or it will go oblong on you.

Virtually impossible to crack unless you run a steamroller over it.

Not sure what glue you are referring to, had a relatively long pot life when we used it. The latest could be different, although I'm pretty sure what we used was water based.

If you're not seam welding it "you're installing it wrong".

It will last for 50 to 100 years. Synthetic won't. Linoleum is the stuff you find under the carpet in 100 year old homes that they just buff up.

Typically used in hospitals and similar commercial settings. Lasts forever under high traffic.
    General Building Contractor • Asbestos Certification • Hazardous Substance Removal Certification • EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor • Locksmith
    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

The humps are there from the factory. The factory rep explained to me that in the curing process, the continuous material hangs from a series of rolls placed near the ceiling. Imagine pizza dough hanging from successive rolling pins. So the distance between successive humps is 2x the floor to ceiling dimension of the facility. The humps are at each roll.

They have a procedure to un-hump it described in the instructions.

I also had a client with a year-old unused roll of Marmoleum stored at about 3 ft from his furnace (winter temp about 80F). We went to unroll it and it was very stiff and cracked easily.

Dgbldr, where did you get this stuff? Do you recall the manufacturer and part number?

What I used was Tarkett Veneto Linoleum. There is no procedure to 'un-hump' the Tarkett product. I have never seen this stuff deteriorate or crack either. Perhaps the temperature in your client's basement was hotter than you think.
    PMP • ESEP • CISSP

Dave,
    Everything you need to know......
    http://www.forboflooringna.com/Liter...turetech-info/
    SteveC
    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.