Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Let in the non-pros

Hey guys just for your information. I am guessing they are already here and in more numbers than you might think. If you look when you first sign on to the sight it will show you who is on and how many. This afternoon there were 20 members and 300 non members. Sure some of that 300 may all be pros but I would suspect that some are not.

As far as them posting, I will say it again, I may be a pro in that I have been at this business for 20 years. But I consider myself a DIY when it comes to electrical, a step or two above a DIY in ceramic tile, maybe a few more steps above in some of the other trades. Just read some of my questions. There are things that I do only once in a blue moon and others that I may never do it again so I get a pass on asking a question that might not be much better than a DIYer.

Personally it's a welcome relief to come here and not have the questions like how to apply glue, or how to hack a cheap rental (although technically a slum lord with only one rental doing hack carpentry for profit is a professional, but don't tell them that).

If a home owner isn't smart enough to keep their profession to himself and be able to ask an inteligent question I don't think they should post here.

if i have a vote it is no .

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeezo View Post
    There are things that I do only once in a blue moon and others that I may never do it again so I get a pass on asking a question that might not be much better than a DIYer.

Don't worry we are also having a vote on whether or not to let you in anymore
    Josh O.

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all. "

- Michelangelo-

Quote Originally Posted by joseph View Post
    ......Ditto

Ditto..........

Same here.
    Louisville Exteriors
    Professional Installers of:
    Siding | Replacement Windows | Roofing | Hand Rails | Gutters | And More!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parlee View Post
    this is a post that I thought I ha submitted earlier.
    I see the thread has moved on but here it is anyway

Mike and Josh

The building science part of this forum has been a little more lax and has allowed some of these types of conversations to go on. i for one agree with you Mike and have defended a few of these conversations. They have been good and I think all participants learn something from them.
    I do sometimes get on the HO DIY that posts and runs. if they want info and they do have a problem then they need to stay around and contribute and answer all questions we ask of them. They need to learn how to post pictures, after all a picture is worth a thousand words.
    I usually offer to let them send high res photos to me and I will post them if they cannot

Quoting myself

I like having the HO post with a good question.

Maybe we should have a non professional part of this forum for this type of post
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    Level one thermagrapher (Snell Training)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    www.parleebuilders.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Maybe we should have a non professional part of this forum for this type of post
    Or?
    Maybe a vetting of HO Q's before any PRO'S reply.

IOW..........allow HO's to post Q's.........and by either votes or some other measure.....qualify the Q to advance.........or flush it.

Charlie

This topic has been discussed before, and the pro and con is the same every time.

Charlie brings up an interesting way to extend the branch, but once the door is open, who will determine to close it?

Consider this, if you want to help DIY, then go to those sites where they are! You can be a star....a new god of construction.....that is your choice.

The logic of new questions from DIYs expected to be new excitement only shows some lack of involvement from the forum participants. No one knows everything; no one participates in every forum. It is inevitable that we sometimes slow down in a forum, perhaps even repeat ourselves. The answers are new products and new methods offering us variations on what we all thought was a good way...until something different came along. Perfect example is the track saws that many now use in their businesses both for site work and shop projects.

There are plenty of sites where DIYs can post questions, and yes, there are intelligent(sometimes) questions queried by a DIY. But remember, this is a professional site, discussing everything from ways and means to business practices to contracts to not being paid, and we each expect answers to our questions from other peers! That is why this site has not deteriorated down to a FHB style of magazine extension because of it's users.

Has there been some deterioration? You bet....the adverse results of political bs has been caustic, turning TT into a veritable porta-potty. The problem of spam versus occasional promotion has turned into a new-fangled dance and no one knows the moves.... and some want to open up to DIYs??

I said it earlier, if you want to be the flannel-shirted answer man, there are plenty of places you can try out!
    Take Care

Jim

I say let em in and then hang em all! it-ill teach em a lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Di View Post
    And...at the rate the moderators are driving away the good contributors due to asinine "policies" they might as well start recruiting new DIY blood. At least someone will be here.
    Good to see that you are still around, Greg.
    "I would remind you that extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also, that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
    --Barry Goldwater AD 1964

Quote Originally Posted by dave_k View Post
    I would rather respond to a construction topic posted by an ameteur than the political propaganda and naval gazing that dominates parts of the forum today.
    You mean that you would rather respond to a DIYer rather than respond to yourself? When are you libs going to realize that the propaganda and naval gazing comes from no one but yourselves?

You also need to realize that in your post, which says, "posted by an ameteur" is leaning just a tad bit on the snooty side. But that does go hand in hand with being a liberal.
    Last edited by Johnson; 05-10-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: added comment
    "I would remind you that extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also, that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Quoting myself

I like having the HO post with a good question.

I wouldn't be surprised if this part of the forum would be the busiest place and have the most interesting topics on construction. Those that think we'll give away our work and secrets to the home owners, I believe are a bit off base.
    Most DIYers are as such because they can't afford to hire anyone of us anyway, or, the job is too small that they can't get a contracter come out. We need a reality check hear as well. We are not doing brain surgery or neuro surgery, but building houses, garages and decks, etc. Why not help someone to advance themselves? Our real customers have other things to do, that's why they hire us and appreciate us. And if some high paid individual thinks it's easy and wants to tackle a remodel job or a deck job by himself, he will most likely appreciate a lot more what we do as well, because they will come to a realization that, "this is a lot more work than I thought".

DIY's are going to get the privy on our so called "Secrets"? Oh my!

By the way, what secrets?